Isaiah Bond - enters portal, enrolls at Texas, flexes a Lamborghini (lol)

Normally I wouldn’t pay too much attention to ratings this time of year. Plenty of kids are still getting reviewed and offers are still going out.

This one is interesting because Buford isn’t an under the radar program. Simpson is an obvious connection but T Rob is the CB guy. We’re hearing about Manny not calling Little, wondering if we’d take his commitment right now ... now this kid commits.

I have no view on this kid, haven’t looked at any film, just find it all interesting. Recruiting is a puzzle. This stuff makes it fun. Hope they know what they’re doing.
Being recruited as a WR bro.

Advertisement
Small but flies off the line and shows receiver skills.

It's a highlight reel so I don't make many judgments based off of those, but something that stood out in these clips is that he is not a natural catcher of the football. He cradles it a lot. Really leans over and catches it in his body as he running deep. Didn't matter in high school because he was several yards open, but that is one of the big issues that Mark Pope has had in college.

Really wish he was a natural receiver of the ball and caught it in stride without losing speed/acceleration. I'll want to watch a full game of his, but he has a lot of Rambo look to his game here.

Based off his hudl highlights, he can run and he can run a go route. I did see one corner route that looked good but nothing else to really judge him on.

Advertisement
Gonna have to look up his measurements but doesn't look like the big body receiver, the X receiver we desperately need. The speed is welcomed and he plays good competition in Georgia. Seems to create decent separation but doing that on the college level is a different story. Decent take for a #2 or # 3 receiver in a class.

He made some tough catches in those highlights. Now I’m not a recruiting expert, and I don’t think you can judge anybody by simply a few minutes of highlights, but they weren’t all simply highlights where he blew past people and basket caught the ball, there were some contested catches and difficult catches.

So anybody that is saying that they were all just blow-by cradling catches doesn’t know what they’re talking about

Speed?? Acceleration?? Route tree?? How are his.....
D975FE4F-1489-4CC3-8AAE-047523B5F4E6.gif

Gonna have to look up his measurements but doesn't look like the big body receiver, the X receiver we desperately need. The speed is welcomed and he plays good competition in Georgia. Seems to create decent separation but doing that on the college level is a different story. Decent take for a #2 or # 3 receiver in a class.
6' 180lbs

Advertisement
It's a highlight reel so I don't make many judgments based off of those, but something that stood out in these clips is that he is not a natural catcher of the football. He cradles it a lot. Really leans over and catches it in his body as he running deep. Didn't matter in high school because he was several yards open, but that is one of the big issues that Mark Pope has had in college.

Really wish he was a natural receiver of the ball and caught it in stride without losing speed/acceleration. I'll want to watch a full game of his, but he has a lot of Rambo look to his game here.
In most of those clips his QB didn’t really lead him either. He had to slow down for the ball. But I agree on the Pope comparison.

Like Rambo is a good way (speed, getting way behind DBs), or bad way (meaning Rambo is not a natural pass cather)?

Advertisement

Tough to tell, but on a bunch of those deep throws it seemed like his QB had underthrown him and he was making the adjustment, turning his body for the ball, which may explain some of the cradling. On the few outbreaking routes he was catching more with his hands, but there weren't many of those on film (which also may be telling). Definitely curious to hear how he looks in complete games.

Looks like a good athlete and pure football player. Interesting that they list him as a CB when the first 2 minutes of his HUDL were at WR. His verified measurables from Jan 2020 don't pop out (5'9'', 161 lbs, 4.74). But my guess is he's gotten bigger, stronger, and faster. If Simpson is hearing this kid is the goods, I'm all for taking him.

Side note: I know Wisconsin is after this kid as an athlete. My guess is he blows up once his junior tape gets around and if camps get rolling.

Advertisement
In most of those clips his QB didn’t really lead him either. He had to slow down for the ball. But I agree on the Pope comparison.
Not a “natural” pass catcher is where the Pope comparison ends. Bond just from the small info gathered from the clips dating back to when he was 8 yoa has been groomed to succeed. He has a support system at home that pushes Hard work and discipline to go along with Talent and Athleticism. Pope’s issues along with some others JT (included) is not a talent or athleticism issue, but a work ethic and discipline issue. Just refer back to Harley interview midway thru last season.

They showed one play on defense where was on the other side of the field and chased down a kid who was going to walk into the end zone. Shows he won’t give up on plays

Advertisement
Back