Is this the game the Fisch goes spread all game?...

I'd love to get Duke loose on a wheel route to start the game off. Get a backer trying to cover him 30 yards down the sideline and start off 7-0.

I'm shuddering as I recall Sean Spence covering C.J. Spiller's wheel route against Clemson in '09.

Advertisement
I'd love to get Duke loose on a wheel route to start the game off. Get a backer trying to cover him 30 yards down the sideline and start off 7-0.

I'm shuddering as I recall Sean Spence covering C.J. Spiller's wheel route against Clemson in '09.

And then kicking to him repeatedly. Go Randy!

I personally hate Fisch's spread stuff, and I don't think it's something we can do all game. This D is easily the best we've seen so far, and I don't know how many of those quick WR swing/screen things will work before they take one the other way. And hopefully our WRs stay tough over the middle against that MLB. Running might be extremely difficult at times, but gotta stick with it against a talented defense; they want want us to be one-dimensional.

Last edited:

I personally hate Fisch's spread stuff, and I don't think it's something we can do all game. This D is easily the best we've seen so far, and I don't know how many of those quick WR swing/screen things will work before they take one the other way. And hopefully our WRs stay tough over the middle against that MLB. Running might be extremely difficult at times, but gotta stick with it against a talented defense; they want want us to be one-dimensional.

if i remember right that's the game the PK lost his job cause he wasn't supposed to kick it to Spiller at the end of the 1st half but did and kicked it right down the middle of the field to make it even worse.

and Spence covering Spiller was a bad idea for sure...especially considering he was limping around with a bad hammy at that point.

Ya, I hate spreading the ball around to multiple playmakers & scoring a ****load of points to boot.

Advertisement
We can't count on him having all day to throw back there. That's probably not going to happen.

But you can throw slants and go routes off a three-step drop, can't you? I trust Morris to make the right reads pre-snap if they're rolled up tight.

What do they do, by the way, for coverage?

I think they like to run a soft cover-2 to protect their young, inexperienced secondary. They'll probably give us the underneath stuff.

I look for another BC type game. No big plays in the passing game, but easy completions that will keep us ahead of the chains.

This. We'll need to figure out a way to run the ball effectively if we wanna open them up for the big play.

Ya, I hate spreading the ball around to multiple playmakers & scoring a ****load of points to boot.

We have a large and allegedly talented O-Line and one of the best young RBs in the country. Give me four wide, but don't waste my time with screens. Fisch is at his best when he creates big plays, IMO. Kind of like a Mark Whipple who knows the strengths and weaknesses of his QB.

I haven't watched ND this year so I haven't witnessed how good they are on defense. I have, however, experienced for the better part of fifty years the hype that regularily surrounds that team. There is no reason for me to believe that this team isn't as full of hot air as a Thanksgiving Day Parade balloon as all of the other ND teams through the years. Come 11pm tonight they might've earned my respect. We'll see. NCSt. Has a first rounder in their secondary people said, he's still in the Shriners Hospital Burn Unit. I agree with k9's OP that Fisch gets cute and it's frustrating to watch sometimes. I don't want him to respect NDs D too much. In short, I don't want him pitching around anybody. Go at 'em. Bomb Squad II style. Do... Not.... Want.... to see #5 going wide. Str8 between the tackles. He's runnding well, looks like a new man this year. It's great. Take shots. I really want the tight end position to be more productive, too. Captain obvious, huh. When it does, we'll really be scary. So, I think we'll score. I'm liking the up tempo, even though it means our D gets more reps. We realize we're just going to have to rely on outscoring people until we get more horses and the D rounds into shape.

Advertisement

We have a large and allegedly talented O-Line and one of the best young RBs in the country. Give me four wide, but don't waste my time with screens. Fisch is at his best when he creates big plays, IMO. Kind of like a Mark Whipple who knows the strengths and weaknesses of his QB.

Wut?

Robert Marve posted 11-18 119-1-0 on them. They are a good defense, but I don't think they are easily better than KSU by any means.

I'm all for using the spread early and hopefully wearing them down a bit, then running more in the second half to help our defense.

Still, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. Figure out what works, then use it with a couple wrinkles thrown in until they can stop it.

This. Our offensive line HAS to play well, there's no scheming around that.

BUT, you bet your *** I'd spread Notre Dame out. Our depth at WR vs their lack of depth at DB is a huge advantage for us.

Wait a second though. You beat a spread team by creating pressure from your front, which is ND's strength, right?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back