Is this cryptic tweet a sign of whats to come?

Advertisement
OR Diaz's other prime target is currently preparing for the national championship game and Diaz is respecting that, and he's waiting until after the game to make an announcement. One can hope.

T-Rob joined the staff. That deal is done. I just can't see him signing up to work for Blake Baker. It doesn't square. The puzzle pieces that fit best are that Diaz has indications that Strong would be receptive (maybe from his agent, any actual convos would have been double top secret), Strong doesn't want to cause distractions before the natty so Diaz is respecting that, the plan is for him to be co-DC/primary playcaller with Baker as the other co-DC. It's the only scenario that touches all the bases.
You could be right and if it’s who I think you’re alluding to in Strong I would welcome that. However, I feel we are doing a lot of mental gymnastics to convince ourselves that we are getting a new DC and why Baker/Patke are still on staff. Either way we should know by tomorrow after tonight’s game. I hope to be wrong.

I wonder how much of that he gets if he accepts another one of the 10 coaching positions at another school?
The way his contract was structured allows us to pay him $500k for example and Auburn has to foot the rest of the $4.5m. If we paid him $2.5m, Auburn owes the other half. I believe Butch Jones had a similar structure at UT, so his $35k salary meant UT was paying him to be an analyst at Bama. Someone can probably point out if I am wrong or not.

is charlie strong really the best we can get?

awesome DC for florida, but had uber talent similar to shannon with us.

turned around louisville but not necessarily due to defense at all, defense at texas was trash, defense at south florida was trash

i know he wasn't calling plays for defense on those teams but still concerning if a defensive mind that so many are in love with on here let three programs Defense go to trash under his watch

Advertisement
Lol y’all hate Manny so much y’all won’t even let the man work. This time last month y’all said we wouldn’t move on from Rumph and if we did, we’d fück the hire up. Now we sitting here with T-Rob coaching our DBs. Let shït play out.

Patience of toddlers around here.

Other credible people on here say there are more names

I just don’t know anything about them and if we take it serious

I trust Cribby saying Baker won’t be calling the D in 2021.
I know since the jump you replied to me saying it didn’t seem likely we would be getting a new DC. I’m not doubting Cribby and he gives me hope but he also alluded to that it could be Baker still on staff with Manny calling the defense.

If that’s Manny’s “backup plan” and he’s only contacting a limited number of candidates then I don’t think that was ever really his “backup” plan.

The way his contract was structured allows us to pay him $500k for example and Auburn has to foot the rest of the $4.5m. If we paid him $2.5m, Auburn owes the other half. I believe Butch Jones had a similar structure at UT, so his $35k salary meant UT was paying him to be an analyst at Bama. Someone can probably point out if I am wrong or not.

I feel like I remember UT suing because they said Jones was slow walking getting another job or was that Bielema? Basically saying he could have taken other jobs and reduced their buyout but he was taking an intentionally low salary that was below the comps and there was a thought it could affect the amount the old school had to pay

Advertisement
I know since the jump you replied to me saying it didn’t seem likely we would be getting a new DC. I’m not doubting Cribby and he gives me hope but he also alluded to that it could be Baker still on staff with Manny calling the defense.

If that’s Manny’s “backup plan” and he’s only contacting a limited number of candidates then I don’t think that was ever really his “backup” plan.
I don’t have a clue who he has contacted. I was basing my assumption off what I heard at the end of the year about Baker staying and hiring a co-DC and tweaking some stuff.

I thought Trob was co-dc and then he wasn’t. Then I heard from Tennessee’s side that we were in on Steele. And I immediately thought there’s no way we lose him to UT. Then we did

If he’s talking to Steele he’s gotta be talking to someone else. I just have 0 ideas who else it could be

Why does Charlie Strong name keep floating around on here. I haven't seen anyone valid mention him as a possibility

As another poster said, mental gymnastics. I can't explain a guy as in high demand as T-Rob taking the job if Baker is going to be calling plays. It is the one thing that blows up any of the other theories that Baker is returning as DC or Diaz struck out on all his candidates. He's smart enough to know that won't work. So he wouldn't take the job unless he knew and approved of the incoming DC. Some of our most illustrious posters have made it clear Baker isn't going to be calling plays next year. There is one big fish still out there who is widely respected but serving as an analyst for a team playing in the natty. He's old school about respecting the game and isn't going to distract the team with rumors of him leaving. So there might be only 6 people who know what is up: Diaz, Baker, T-Rob, Skrong, B. James, and Skrong's agent. You wouldn't hear rumors because all of them know how it could all go sideways real quick if word leaked. Or it could also be a NFL guy whose team is/was in the playoffs- but who that could be, I have no idea.

It's a logic game: Coach A would not join the program if Coach B was the DC. Coach A joined the program. Therefore ...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Fellas, literally, there’s nothing to think about regarding Baker. Wasn’t it reported last season Diaz had to step in to call plays? Couple that w/ the historic amount of yards given up in the UNC game, and the steep decline in defense overall, what’s the debate about? There’s only one logical reason, imo.

Maybe it’s hyper reactive, but history plays a role in pessimism. Again, kudos on hiring a fired TRob, but that’s just a start

Fellas, literally, there’s nothing to think about regarding Baker. Wasn’t it reported last season Diaz had to step in to call plays? Couple that w/ the historic amount of yards given up in the UNC game, and the steep decline in defense overall, what’s the debate about? There’s only one logical reason, imo.

Maybe it’s hyper reactive, but history plays a role in pessimism. Again, kudos on hiring a fired TRob, but that’s just a start

wasn't reported. it was rumored but it was all denied publicly. well never know who or what they're doing bc they seem to be super tight lipped. remember the initial OC hiring when he landed on Enos

Advertisement
wasn't reported. it was rumored but it was all denied publicly. well never know who or what they're doing bc they seem to be super tight lipped. remember the initial OC hiring when he landed on Enos

My fault; it was said Diaz became “more involved.”

As another poster said, mental gymnastics. I can't explain a guy as in high demand as T-Rob taking the job if Baker is going to be calling plays. It is the one thing that blows up any of the other theories that Baker is returning as DC or Diaz struck out on all his candidates. He's smart enough to know that won't work. So he wouldn't take the job unless he knew and approved of the incoming DC. Some of our most illustrious posters have made it clear Baker isn't going to be calling plays next year. There is one big fish still out there who is widely respected but serving as an analyst for a team playing in the natty. He's old school about respecting the game and isn't going to distract the team with rumors of him leaving. So there might be only 6 people who know what is up: Diaz, Baker, T-Rob, Skrong, B. James, and Skrong's agent. You wouldn't hear rumors because all of them know how it could all go sideways real quick if word leaked. Or it could also be a NFL guy whose team is/was in the playoffs- but who that could be, I have no idea.

It's a logic game: Coach A would not join the program if Coach B was the DC. Coach A joined the program. Therefore ...

I sure hope U’re right, my friend. It makes sense when u break it down like that. It seems very logical.

Advertisement
Back