Is this a fair inference?

Ethnicsands

All-American
If AG were really thinking of taking the PSU job, he would not be taking new commitments right now. And certainly not head scratchers. Would be a **** move with a few days to the end of the season at which point he would firm up PSU if that were his interest. I think ag's a solid individual and wouldn't do that. IMO he's looking for a new contract, pure and simple.

Advertisement
Along the lines you are alluding to, I agree he seems like a solid man character-wise. I think the reading of the high school coaches would also be a good measuring stick. They seem to know if a coach is going through the motions with one eye on another gig. So far there has been no indication from any high school coaches that Al is looking elsewhere. In fact all indications are that he's been totally engaged and also doing some prepatory scouting for 2013 recruits.

If AG were really thinking of taking the PSU job, he would not be taking new commitments right now. And certainly not head scratchers. Would be a **** move with a few days to the end of the season at which point he would firm up PSU if that were his interest. I think ag's a solid individual and wouldn't do that. IMO he's looking for a new contract, pure and simple.

Yeah I believe that's pretty accurate...although, we have last year with the Temple class to use as a reference. I don't know what happened when he was in "transition" last year, perhaps somebody else could weigh in on that.

It's a good point of reference. IMO it's a bit different. He did temple right and they knew he'd leave, for one thing. Leaving after one year would be Kirby hocutt awkward for all involved. In that context he'd want to be careful about his actions if he thought he was potentially going to come out that door. Also, he's already got 20 something commitments, which limits flexibility for a successor. He may have figured no matter what, he was helping temple by recruiting for them. He can't think that way at UM. Certainly not when he's taking unranked kids.

Advertisement

Maybe but Butch Davis was at the Rusty Pelican having dinner with all the recruits 9 days before he left town..

Maybe but Butch Davis was at the Rusty Pelican having dinner with all the recruits 9 days before he left town..
But wasn't that much later in the recruiting season? Not defending him, but iirc, He was hired right before nsd. No way around that for him, and he didn't harm his successor by trying to recruit kids given the time-frame. To the contrary, he would have really screwed us worse had he quit recruiting down the stretch. And frankly, he wasn't bailing after a year, either.

Butch did it.

Advertisement

Butch did it.
Different sit. Already addressed. And folks think butch was a **** anyhow. Don't hear even AG's critics saying that.

I think it's a fair inference- the key word being thinking, or if you said planning to leave. If an ideal offer drops in his lap, that's different. And I don't see Penn State as being an ideal offer for the same reasons everyone else has already said.

Butch did it.
Different sit. Already addressed. And folks think butch was a **** anyhow. Don't hear even AG's critics saying that.

Folks didn't think that way of Butch until that infamous day on Jan 29 2001..
It was the way he left and then he tried to blame it on UM for not giving him more money in the middle of his contract..

Here is Butch Davis timeline I posted the other day:

Dec 30, 2000
Reporter - Are you going to visit the Cleveland Browns?
Corch - "Don't they have a coach? I'm happy in South Florida. My family loves it here. I plan to coach at Miami for a long time."

Dec 31, 2000
Corch - "If I leave now, that makes me a deadbeat dad, because this is my family."
Corch - "I want to finish my career right here."

Jan 2, 2001 Sugar Bowl (Miami vs Florida)

Jan 4, 2001
Corch - "We're going to work our asses off in the off-season, harder than we've worked before."
Corch - "This is going to be an incredible season. We're going to win the national championship."

Jan 20, 2001 Recruit Dinner at Rusty Pelican (1on1 with Bryant McKinnie)
Corch - Thank you Bryant for returning to play next season even though the NFL scouts said you were going to be picked high in the 1st round of the draft.
Corch - "Winning a national championship will be the final piece of the puzzle for you."

Jan 28, 2001 Superbowl (Ravens vs Giants)

Jan 29, 2001 (team meeting)
Corch - "It's a great opportunity at the next level, ..Cleveland Browns, one that I felt for me and my family I couldn't pass up."
Corch - "Does anybody want to speak?"
Players - None did. None rose to embrace the coach or shake his hand...

Marvin Demoff (lawyer) - The Browns weren't a serious consideration until UM failed to finalize a five-year contract extension that had been in negotiations since November.
Corch - "I'm thrilled with the opportunity I have in Cleveland,but if Miami had gotten the extension done in November, I'd still be the coach at Miami."
-Corch agrees in principle to a five-year, $15.7 million contract with the Browns, leaving Miami nine days before recruits could sign letters of intent.
-Corch had three years left on a seven-year, $5.9 million contract with Miami.

I don't think it's fair. I think it's mostly looking at things with a slight O&G tint. The PSU mess is still being played out, so I think he's doing what has been talked about with regards to him before; he's hunkered down and in the moment. Unlike most, I don't think he's a done deal to PSU immediately after the season ends. Quite frankly, I think the PSU situation plays out a bit longer than that and we're still wondering for a couple more months. So from that perspective, Golden keeps hammering away where he's at. The man has a plan, and we know that he's calculated. I just don't think he's going to make a move on PSU quickly.

With regards to committments, the man seems to be EXTREMELY confident in his abilities. I could easily see him 1) thinking that he's actually leaving the new coach in a good position or 2) taking some of the guys with him to PSU if it's before NSD (just like with Olsen-Pierre).

Bottom line is IMO, I think we need to be really concerned with this situation. He doesn't need to be this non-committal publicly because of a new contract. And if you want to make the argument that he's a solid individual and wouldn't ***** us over, the fact that he won't come out and say that he's not going to leave should make you even more nervous. Seems like he's making sure that if he does bolt he can't be labeled as a liar.

Advertisement
To be honest, I was really hoping we could get Butch back after Shannon, as I didn't see Butch do anything wrong. He stated his intentions right up to the moment his intentions changed.

Butch wasn't our first coach to leave for money. Won't be our last.

This is the real world.

1775 he has said flat out he will coach us in 2012. If he leaves at this point he is a liar.

Honestly my stance on this hasnt changed. Do I want him to leave? Absolutely not, but if he doesnt want to be here he can go.

1775 he has said flat out he will coach us in 2012. If he leaves at this point he is a liar.

Honestly my stance on this hasnt changed. Do I want him to leave? Absolutely not, but if he doesnt want to be here he can go.

He has never said that.

Advertisement
He'd have to be beyond nuts to step into that situation. I can see political pressure mounting to make PSU suspend the program for a year. Wait until child advocacy groups get into this and start going on TV.

He'd have to be beyond nuts to step into that situation.

This is my thinking as well.

Who knows how deep the rabbit hole goes at this point? More victims, law suits, more people who potentially knew and did nothing, and an constant stream of bad press and negative recruiting.

The NCAA has stepped in, and they're on a witch hunt, IMO. They want to find something.

I think there's a certain point where the job you have is better than your "dream" job. With PSU in flux, I think that's the case right now.

I believe just today that it was revealed that one of Sandusky's victims was a member of his own family. No doubt PLENTY of more victims are going to come out of the shadows as this goes along and the political pressure is only going to mount. This is far removed from just a CFB/university matter now.

Advertisement
Back