Is there somewhere we can access our YAC numbers?

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
I've been following this pattern over the last few weeks. It's a sincere question since I cannot easily find our YAC numbers online.

I really am not sure where we'd sit in terms of national averages for YAC. Partly because I don't watch every single other team. Another part because we do have some "breakaway" plays - like Harley's long TD last week - that likely boost our YAC numbers.

But, generally speaking, I've noticed we've left a bunch of yards on the field. Only using today's game as an example, VT seemed to get us on the ground cleaner than we did to them. 2 yard gains should or could be 3-4. A 4 yard gain is a result of a WR stepping back and diving forward when it could potentially be a 6 yard gain.

A positive example today came from Don Chaney. He turned at least 3 runs into extra yards. And, that changes down and distance. It may seem like a small thing, but these plays have significant roles in our strategies when 2nd and 6 turns into 2nd and 1 (as one example that happened with Chaney).

I also realize this may vary from week to week and month to month. Does anyone have any idea where those of us interested can look up the hard/measured numbers?

*I'd rather we hire QA guys who measure this (I'm guessing they do?) than spontaneous teammate support, but I digress. #realanalytics

Advertisement
good point. Part of the problem is that our top 3 WRs have zero push when they get tackled. They get tackled so easily because they are not physical. Cam had a tough game - feel like he was close a lot but just went down. Mallory and Jordan do a nice job.

This is where recruiting will help us. Brashard Smith should be a better option on those screens and Thad Franklin is a load.

But you’re dead-on. It’s a major weak spot of the current roster.

I remember going on a deep dive last year trying to find this out and couldn't sadly. The only thing you can really do is watch the game back and chart the YAC yourself which uhhhhhh sucks lol

Advertisement
The way Cam Harris struggles to get yards after contact is mind boggling. As soon as he gets touched the guy falls to his side or on his ***. When he dove into the end zone today, I half expected him to get helicoptered and land in the exact spot he took off

I remember going on a deep dive last year trying to find this out and couldn't sadly. The only thing you can really do is watch the game back and chart the YAC yourself which uhhhhhh sucks lol
Ha. I already chart defensive plays (most games, anyway). And, I don't get paid a dollar for it, so I'm...out. Thanks for the heads up. I figured someone else was also curious.

good point. Part of the problem is that our top 3 WRs have zero push when they get tackled. They get tackled so easily because they are not physical. Cam had a tough game - feel like he was close a lot but just went down. Mallory and Jordan do a nice job.
It actually really came up in my mind today when, on back to back drives, I saw us first give up like 20 yards of YAC and then saw Brevin Jordan get tackled one on one. I was like, wait, something is wrong. This shouldn't be this lopsided. I imagine guys like Redding can help us with the physicality issue at WR. Extra yards really f'in matter.

Advertisement
Maybe this is place to ask but do we even ask our smaller guys to work out? I have never seen a whole starting core not only be slight but have no core strength to break a tackle and get knocked off route easily.. Most teams guys atleast "look" like they are athletes and our wound up tight, these guys are all upperclassmen and cant gain any weight? Wiggins has good height but his weight make him like 5'11, every DB can get around him and get pass breakup..

Hopefully we dont put Redding on whatever program these guys are on.. You watch a guy like Khalil Herbert run, get contact at like 2 yards and still fall forward for 8 yard gain, then Camron get tackled by first guy every play.. wtf man..

Cam goes down at first contact way too often .... on top of the refs routinely subtracting 1/2 a yard off every play of ours and adding to our opponent.

Advertisement
Back