Is there a real possibility of Diaz getting fired after next year?

Diaz knows he need 8 wins to keep his job. Also Blake won’t be choosing the next HC. BOT will try to get Cristobal. Then it’s Josh Heupel and Luke Fickell.

Advertisement
problem for manny is even if he wants to correct it, he cant get good coaches here
He tried to hire the "proven" guy in Enos. That failed. Time to go higher an up and comer OC (Yost, Gleason, Lashlee type or even younger depending who will say yes) who will take the risk with him and roll the dice.

Very good chance that bum is fired although who knows with how cheap our administration is. He has to fire Enos right now obviously. If he doesnt make any changes and we dont win at least 9 games he better be canned.

Another 6-6/7 season & he's outta here...

Hard Rock will be empty all year & the heat from the fans will be enough to force the BOT to actually do what they hate doing, which is work.

The clock is ticking on Diaz, if he doesn't make drastic changes come January he's gonna get Taggart'd by the end of season.

Advertisement
Didn’t Randy Shannon win 5 times and embarrassed the OB in his first year? He was extended.

As long as fans continue to purchase tickets, apparel, and donate to the school, Diaz will be around. Anonymous members of the BoT have already confirmed that's what they care about: money.

So you think the same folks who think Blake James is doing a good job because of his fundraising are going to buy-out Manny Diaz's contract and then pony up more money on a good coach? C'mon, man.

Stop contributing money, period. Then, and only then, will there be changes.

Manny is a good guy and you can't ever be good if you change coaches every 2-3 years. Let's hope he can turn it around next year and build momentum for the future.

Advertisement
I can't help but be a little skeptical.

If Miami is at the same point it was at this time next year, yes—I could see him fired after year two. (Florida State running off Taggart in less than two years; sets a precedent.)

That said, I can't imagine that this time next year—one year removed from Richt era, 2019 class in their second year and with a new 2020 class getting their feet wet—hard not to believe that there won't be enough progress to avoid another 6-6 run.

Agree with the sentiment above; anything less than 8-4 (with this garbage-*** schedule)—I would expect Diaz gone after two years.

Advertisement
Taggart was fired largely because he inherited something like the #4 or #5 most talented team in the country per 247 talent composite ratings. Diaz didn't inherit that kind of talent, so he can blame Richt more easily than Taggart could blame Jimbo. Plus Taggart outright missed a bowl and lost by really bad scores his first year. (Except for the 28-27 loss to Miami.)

And, perhaps most importantly, I think the FSU admin cares more about football than the Miami admin.

As long as fans continue to purchase tickets, apparel, and donate to the school, Diaz will be around. Anonymous members of the BoT have already confirmed that's what they care about: money.

So you think the same folks who think Blake James is doing a good job because of his fundraising are going to buy-out Manny Diaz's contract and then pony up more money on a good coach? C'mon, man.

Stop contributing money, period. Then, and only then, will there be changes.

You know that's nonsense. Diaz will be judged by the bottom line on the field, just like all his predecessors and successors. He lost maybe 1 season of benefit of a doubt via 6-6. That's the way I would look at it. If he had defeated FIU and Duke toward 8-4 then he's safe for 2 more seasons. But at 6-6 he's got one more clear window and then the fingers above get restless in 2021 without sharp signs of improvement.

As always, this is predicated on off field normalcy and not some Steve Sarkisian or Bobby Petrino situation.

Regardless, these threads are always entertaining, especially given the caliber it takes to come up with social justice as explanation to recent football coaches. It's like cycling through a door bell with all the available tunes. Ding Dong

Advertisement
How many people are on the BOT? If 3 out of 50 people are complaining to Barry Jackson, it's hardly meaningful.

You know that's nonsense. Diaz will be judged by the bottom line on the field, just like all his predecessors and successors. He lost maybe 1 season of benefit of a doubt via 6-6. That's the way I would look at it. If he had defeated FIU and Duke toward 8-4 then he's safe for 2 more seasons. But at 6-6 he's got one more clear window and then the fingers above get restless in 2021 without sharp signs of improvement.

As always, this is predicated on off field normalcy and not some Steve Sarkisian or Bobby Petrino situation.

Regardless, these threads are always entertaining, especially given the caliber it takes to come up with social justice as explanation to recent football coaches. It's like cycling through a door bell with all the available tunes. Ding Dong
I usually agree with you, but I have to disagree here. Why is Diaz judged by his performance on the field, but Blake James gets a free pass for untold seasons of subpar performance? It's the same people in charge of keeping Blake James around that have a heavy say in keeping Diaz around. This program has a lot of issues and, quite frankly, so does the school itself. I mean, it'd be one thing if at the expense of Miami athletics we saw the University of Miami academics skyrocket up the U.S. News rankings, but that has not been so. It's a systemic failure, top-down, and I have very little faith they undo the damage that's been done.

That “rebuild” comment he made is the worst thing that he could have said. That made a lot of people angry on the BOT. He definitely cannot have another poor year or else he’s gonzoooos.

Advertisement
Back