Is Miami a desirable job anymore?

Advertisement
I think it's gonna take much more than just hiring a new AD. Is James clueless and indifferent to the on-field results? Certainly. Is he incapable of making a decent coaching hire? Yes to that as well.

But is he REALLY the reason we can't ever seem to improve? I don't think so. He's just another symptom of the larger problem which is the president and the board's lack of motivation and commitment to the football program and winning championships. If THEY cared, James would care. Because he'd also know if the results didn't meet expectations, they'd find another AD. But the obvious reality is that there are no on-field expectations from the trustees and the president. The only expectations are financial. And as long as the ACC gravy train of guaranteed money keeps rolling, nothing else REALLY matters in their eyes.

Sorry, folks, but in this fan's eyes, the patient's dying on the table. It's too late.

It's not.... You pretty much have to win immediately here or the fans will come for your head, you pair that with a lack of support from the Admins and it's not very dispersible. No one has really won here in 20 years.
Richt didn’t have a nice little run in 16 and 17? First above average coach we have and we put together a very nice two year run before his health and stubbornness to prove he could still OC did him in

The moment a different HC finally finds success here, the job will be viewed a lot differently.

The money is there. And geographically the talent advantage is huge, with a state whose population is only continuing to grow.

And as of now, the conference and our division are jokes. The path to winning a lot of football games is there for the taking for a talented coach.

I think people just look at SEC jobs or programs like OSU and then write off our job like we’re Wake Forrest or BC something.

Richt didn’t have a nice little run in 16 and 17? First above average coach we have and we put together a very nice two year run before his health and stubbornness to prove he could still OC did him

Mediocre UM team was #2 going into the final game of the season. An average HC would have won the ACC this year. Sad thing is a healthy Mark Richt likely has a 1 loss UM team knocking on the door to the playoffs. If we didn't have bad luck, we'd have no luck at all.

Advertisement
It's not.... You pretty much have to win immediately here or the fans will come for your head, you pair that with a lack of support from the Admins and it's not very dispersible. No one has really won here in 20 years.
One should be able to win if we had an administration that gave a isht about winning and developing football

Right now, no I'm sorry it is not. The Miami HC job is a low 2nd tier job in the world of college football. And it has been that way since shalala took over. The admiration has ground the prestige of the program down on purpose. If I was a big name head coach I wouldn't come Miami. The University leadership has over decades proven they are okay with sub-top 25 team. Get into a bowl for the income stream, sell some jerseys to the plebeians and we're happy! They have proven they have no desirer to do what it take to be Alabama, Ohio St., or Georgia.

I have said it before - in the world of college football we are the guy sitting at the bar on Saturday night telling everyone how great a football player he was in high school back in the 80's.

Advertisement
What if the threat of sanctions is so great that the administration can't risk trying to be great again, or at least going the extra mile. Perhaps the line of thinking is it's better to have a mediocre program than risk it.

Or are we delusional fans? We discuss names like cristobal, kiffin, leach etc..but whats make us think theyll their current situation to come here? Especially considering we cant pay more than what theyre currently making? I understand the fertile recruiting ground argument, but it isnt the 80's or 90's anymore, all the big schools seem to pluck the best talent out of south florida (there are a few exceptions).

Tha short answer is....YES

We are delusional fans whose expectations have ALWAYS far exceeded reality.

BUT ....that's what being a Miami fan has ALWAYS been about

MIAMI achieved the impossible out of nowhere with next to nothing.

After having done that REPEATEDLY with ALL of NCAA & CFB forces working against you and still winning championships tends to develop fans with only a loose grip on reality

Last edited:
No P5 HC with a cushy gig is going to leave that gig for the clusterfyck that is Miami UNLESS major changes happen. A new AD being the top priority.

And if the history of the past 20 years tells us anything, be prepared to be underwhelmed. I am. I have no delusions of grandeur because the reality is the U is no more relevant than it was in the 70’s before Howard performed his miracle transformation. The shine has been dulled by years of incompetence and, as I’ve said several times recently, will take a transformational HC to polish the **** the U has become.

I’m in wait and see mode with my orange and green sunglasses sitting on the kitchen counter.

Advertisement
College football has its weird state school fan bases of a bunch of mediocre programs. Iowa state Iowa penn state ok state. Miami is largely ignored by people who think that’s what college football is and should be. If we recruited coaches properly you should be able to sell them on location access to talent and yes nfl tradition. Most coaches are raised in traditional football environments you have to embrace guys that want to live here and make us great. I think Mario and Kiffin lead that group but I think the nfl is a good place to look.

I forget which publication (I think it was The Athletic) just did an anonymous poll of coaches and administrators in cfb to rank the best HC jobs in cfb. UM came in at #11. This despite sucking for 15 years. So yes, it is still desirable. With James gone and a commitment from UM to spend money it would be one of the most desirable.
I was just going to post this.
This would put UM in the top 10%...right now.

To me, that would be desirable.

Advertisement
Really NOT in the mood to care about it

Bottom line is that Miami's administration will get the coach that they will have earned and deserve with the choices and investment that they will make in the program in the very near term.

No sane coach will be coming here to do us a favor, for our history, or on a hope and a dream

Whoever it is ....will be here for purely personal and selfish reasons.

They will have to CHOOSE WISELY

Miami is a desirable job, for a specific type of coach. If you want to be somewhere where you have a bottomless budget, and infinite support, then Miami isn't the job for you. If you want the closest thing to a pro job at the college level, then Miami is the place for you. The University of Miami is a job in which you have a very fertile local recruiting ground, you are living in a major city, and you are not dealing with the microscope that a guy in Baton Rouge would. Some guys don't want to be the whale in the pool, they are happy being a large fish. That's Miami football. Miami football isn't the only game in town, which means your quality of life is significantly better.

The job of a competent AD is to find the coaches that would be interested in living that lifestyle and interviewing them.

Miami is a desirable job, for a specific type of coach. If you want to be somewhere where you have a bottomless budget, and infinite support, then Miami isn't the job for you. If you want the closest thing to a pro job at the college level, then Miami is the place for you. The University of Miami is a job in which you have a very fertile local recruiting ground, you are living in a major city, and you are not dealing with the microscope that a guy in Baton Rouge would. Some guys don't want to be the whale in the pool, they are happy being a large fish. That's Miami football. Miami football isn't the only game in town, which means your quality of life is significantly better.

The job of a competent AD is to find the coaches that would be interested in living that lifestyle and interviewing them.
This and only this

I'm sure (hope) the admin/BOT have this Tennessee coaching search debacle in the back of their minds. We need to make changes but we need to know that our changes are a big improvement.

AD is probably easy but gauging which coaches we realistically have a shot at is harder. Can't be left with a bunch of rejections after firing Manny. Everybody knows the job will be available if the right name wants it. But we can't end up with another experiment.

Advertisement
Back