Is Mario our current HC if we hire Schiano/Gary Patterson in 2007?

Advertisement
Advertisement
I think so, mario was gonna end up here no matter what

Disagree.

Mario would've needed to wind up here at some point between cutting his teeth at Florida International and his tenure at Alabama (learning under Nick Saban).

While we have no idea what would've happened with Miami Hurricanes football between 2007 and 2022 if a Greg Schiano or Gary Patterson took over—how long either would've lasted, who would've shown up after, etc.—we know that Mario was four years into his tenure at Oregon and was ready to further sink his teeth in if his alma mater didn't call.

Mario was in the good graces of Phil Knight, had his own Nike deal, was growing something in Eugene—and he has two sons that are 10 and 12 years old—and the family had called the Pacific Northwest home for five years.

As parents, we know that these are fragile ages for kids and realistically, if you can (not always easy for coaches)—you'd want to dig in for the next eight years; until the youngest was done with high school—before making other move.

Mario made it clear that Miami was the only call he was taking and that outside of a return to Coral Gables, he was planting his flag in Oregon as long as they wanted him there. The more success attained, the harder it'd have been for him to leave.

The caveat would've been the level of rebuild Miami needed in 2022 with a different trajectory, as well as the money behind the program—as Ruiz money, Mas money and other big boosters helped pave the way, as he wasn't returning if UM was a hot mess and resources weren't on the mend.

A perfect storm brought this together and it's impossible to predict where the Canes would've been with better coaching the past 15 years—but the more Mario dug in his heels in Oregon, the harder it would've been to pry him out of there in the coming years. Especially if he continued to succeed, got closer to playing for titles and his wife / sons were thriving in Eugene (making it harder to leave).

Under Schiano, absolutely, he wouldn’t have lasted here that long, 4 years maximum.

But if we hired Patterson in 07... Idk if he would’ve still been the Coach here all the way until 2021, but we definitely would’ve won at least 2 ACC titles during his tenure & I would guess he would’ve been here at least 7+ years.

He was a phenomenal Coach who did more with less than most Coaches & turned TCU into a viable program during his tenure.

Jimmy Johnson actually recommended & vouched for him to be hired here, but at the time our administration was still very much anti-Football & was actively working to destroy us from the inside out lol.

Advertisement
Patterson may have still retired. Doesn’t seem like a lifetime saban paterno guy
Patterson would have killed it here from 07 onward....Even JJ recommended him
Under Schiano, absolutely, he wouldn’t have lasted here that long, 4 years maximum.

But if we hired Patterson in 07... Idk if he would’ve still been the Coach here all the way until 2021, but we definitely would’ve won at least 2 ACC titles during his tenure & I would guess he would’ve been here at least 7+ years.

He was a phenomenal Coach who did more with less than most Coaches & turned TCU into a viable program during his tenure.

Jimmy Johnson actually recommended & vouched for him to be hired here, but at the time our administration was still very much anti-Football & was actively working to destroy us from the inside out lol.
Lol at Monkey Boy doing anything significant at UM....

This may not be an easy answer, but why was the administration so anti-football/spending?

It’s an easy concept that if you spend more money, hire better coaches, have better facilities, etc. then you will have more revenue coming in.

I was like 5-10 years old during this time, so I don’t really comprehend why UM didn’t want to spend any money on athletics

The longer Mario stayed at Oregon the harder I think it would have been to pry him away but I still think the timing here was

Advertisement
With the lack of school support. I don’t think the HC would have mattered. We weren’t invested $$$. Think Patterson might have done better the everyone else but I don’t think it would have been enough

I think Mario may have been the hire if Schiano bolted for the NFL like he did at Rutgers.

Patterson is probably still the HC here if gets the gig in ‘07. His defense probably stays top 15ish in the ACC rather than the spread craziness of the Big 12. He also showed a willingness to adapt to a spread scheme, so I doubt the offense stayed archaic as long as it did if he’s here.

Advertisement
I think Mario may have been the hire if Schiano bolted for the NFL like he did at Rutgers.

Patterson is probably still the HC here if gets the gig in ‘07. His defense probably stays top 15ish in the ACC rather than the spread craziness of the Big 12. He also showed a willingness to adapt to a spread scheme, so I doubt the offense stayed archaic as long as it did if he’s here.
People actually think Schiano had a chance to be HC at UM??....Lol

Does a bear **** in the woods?

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Advertisement
Back