Is it too late to hire Mark Stoops?

Advertisement
Won SEC Coach of the Year at Kentucky, an SEC bottom feeder. Kentucky finished ranked for the first time in 30+ years, and had their first 10-win season in 40+ years. Put together multiple top 10 defenses as both a DC and a HC. Currently in his early 50s. Recruiting ties to South FL.

I get we’re riding with Manny for at least the next year, and I hope he turns it around, but if we were looking for a coach, not sure why you wouldn’t want this guy? Am I missing something here?

Won SEC Coach of the Year at Kentucky, an SEC bottom feeder. Kentucky finished ranked for the first time in 30+ years, and had their first 10-win season in 40+ years. Put together multiple top 10 defenses as both a DC and a HC. Currently in his early 50s. Recruiting ties to South FL.

I get we’re riding with Manny for at least the next year, and I hope he turns it around, but if we were looking for a coach, not sure why you wouldn’t want this guy? Am I missing something here?

Stoops would be fine. The thing is, next year, his brother, Urban, and Petersen will probably be available to hire and you have to shoot higher than a coach at Kentucky. Coupled with the fact that you won't have to pay a large buyout to get any of those three and you have to compensate Kentucky for his services, makes other coaching options more desirable.

Advertisement
he chose UW over USC bc he didnt like that lifestyle and area.

Actually it was widely reported and confirmed by Petersen himself that he interviewed for the job and WANTED it.

But the athletic director at the time said he didn't interview well they didn't want a "repeat of the Kiffin era" which is a quote that still doesn't make a lot of sense.

Peterson is a Cali guy, he,without a doubt wants the job and other than Meyer is clearly the no.1 prospect for it next season.

Hopefully they miss out though. I would love to see him at Miami.

As a hardcore UK fan and Cane fan obviously (my father and i havent missed a spring game in 10 years) I can honestly say I think he would win like crazy at Miami far more so than at UK.

Stoops is a FANTASTIC recruiter and a great defensive coach. But his offense has left much to be desired at UK. Think Saban pre Kiffin but obviously to a much lesser degree.

That has almost entirely been a talent issue.

His early record was bad, but we were the WORST team imaginable when he got here and lead us all the way to a 10 win season last year.

We haven't had a great year this season but

1. we lost the best LBer in the country (Josh Allen) to the draft

2. Lost the second best RB in the SEC (Benny Snell) to the draft,

3. Lost our our first AND second string QB this season to injury

4. played the remainder of the season using a WR at QB.

All this in the SEC at KENTUCKY with a 3rd of the talent Miami has. I would say all things considered he's had a great year.

That being said. You give him Miami's recruiting base, I have no doubt he would return Miami to form.

I think he would be a fantastic hire for Miami.

Anyone who doesn't think so probly hasn't followed the nuances of his performance at UK very closely.

I'm torn about him leaving, but I can't say,I wouldn't be excited about seeing what he could do at an elite program.
What brings a UK fan on a Miami Board? Do you have any coaches to trade. We’re looking for ... everything.

Raised in Dayton Ohio. Dad was a UK fan. Best friends dad was a Miami fan. So grew up watching both on the weekends. Guess it rubbed off on me lol.

Go Canes.
Lol. My best friend’s dad was a gaytor.

Advertisement
As a hardcore UK fan and Cane fan obviously (my father and i havent missed a spring game in 10 years) I can honestly say I think he would win like crazy at Miami far more so than at UK.

Stoops is a FANTASTIC recruiter and a great defensive coach. But his offense has left much to be desired at UK. Think Saban pre Kiffin but obviously to a much lesser degree.

His early record was bad, but we were the WORST team imaginable when he got here and lead us all the way to a 10 win season last year.

All this in the SEC at KENTUCKY with a 3rd of the talent Miami has. I would say all things considered he's had a great year.

That being said. You give him Miami's recruiting base, I have no doubt he would return Miami to form.

Anyone who doesn't think so probly hasn't followed the nuances of his performance at UK very closely.

I'm torn about him leaving, but I can't say,I wouldn't be excited about seeing what he could do at an elite program.

You and I are probably the only two UK (football) fans on the board. LOL Are you attending the bowl game?

great post, he would do very well here

Kentucky is historically a Basketball school, so the bar is extremely low.

He had a great season last year, but they came back down to Earth this year & will perpetually be a 6/7 win team at best.

That's no different than the last 15 years plus at Miami.

He's a very good DB coach, but he ain't leading us to any Coastal or ACC titles as a HC here.

This is how low the bar is now. People talk about Coastal titles like it’s some kind of achievement.

Advertisement
Actually it was widely reported and confirmed by Petersen himself that he interviewed for the job and WANTED it.

But the athletic director at the time said he didn't interview well they didn't want a "repeat of the Kiffin era" which is a quote that still doesn't make a lot of sense.

Peterson is a Cali guy, he,without a doubt wants the job and other than Meyer is clearly the no.1 prospect for it next season.

Hopefully they miss out though. I would love to see him at Miami.

What’s with this delusion that Manny won’t be back in 2021 even if he goes 3-9 next year?

Last edited:
What’s with this delusion that Manny won’t be back in 2021 even if he goes 3-9 next year?

Hopefully it's not. I'm actually hoping we lose to La Tech.

A 6-7 finish with 3 straight losses including a bowl loss, a loss to a 4 win Duke and the worst loss in program history to FIU puts Manny in Willie Taggert territory for sure, regardless of what the athletic department says now.

Advertisement
One thing you can say Mark Stoops has Kentucky playing at a higher level than before he go there.Kentucky isn't an sec door mat since his hire.Kentucky isn't the easiest place for attracting top recruits.

Our best hope if is for Manny to turn it around in 2020. Can't keep changing coaches every 2-3 years.

Advertisement
Back