Is it possible that the OL problem is...

Firefranknow

Banned
Banned
That the players we recruit for the OL are just stupid. Other than the QB the OL has to be the most intellectually challenging position on the field and also have to adjust on the fly to changing chess pieces in front of them.
This is the only solution I could come up with since we have failed with 4/5 star recruits on the OL with multiple different corches. So while they may be “physically gifted” and did well at the simpleton high school level when it comes to IQ and being able to decipher who to block and their assignment our guys just can’t cut it.
I say we go after some 2/3 star OL with 4.0 GPAs and see how that changes. Fact all of of highly recruited OL over the last 5 years have had academic issues and the guys who have performed the best were lower star kids who were classroom rock stars.

Advertisement
That the players we recruit for the OL are just stupid. Other than the QB the OL has to be the most intellectually challenging position on the field and also have to adjust on the fly to changing chess pieces in front of them.
This is the only solution I could come up with since we have failed with 4/5 star recruits on the OL with multiple different corches. So while they may be “physically gifted” and did well at the simpleton high school level when it comes to IQ and being able to decipher who to block and their assignment our guys just can’t cut it.
I say we go after some 2/3 star OL with 4.0 GPAs and see how that changes. Fact all of of highly recruited OL over the last 5 years have had academic issues and the guys who have performed the best were lower star kids who were classroom rock stars.

Or it could be the coaches who are stupid enough to put them in situations like this..

Dude. Really?

Who is Frank and why do you want him fired?

Advertisement
I am guessing that Alabama and Georgia don;t have Rhodes scholars on the OL.

Logical fallacy. There is a wide gap between being too dumb to understand D1 football concepts and being a Rhodes Scholar. Alabama and Georgia don't need Rhodes Scholars, they just need kids with at least some semblance of mental capacity and toughness.

Advertisement
That is why we have Harvard and Yale for the brainiacs.

Advertisement
Advertisement
It may be a little if both players and coaches. I know the Shannon years weren’t great, but Stoutland did a good job teaching our OL who got shots in the League. Just about all the starting OL from that time period we’re known as smart OL. I just read an article about Jon Feliciano up in Buffalo, and half the article was spent talking about how he’s not only a tough mf’er, but also the smartest guy in the room. Guys like him, Linder, Jason Fox, Orlando Franklin, etc. we’re all known as talented, but smart players. Even guys like McDermott and Horn who weren’t the the most talented players, were high Football IQ guys. I feel like I haven’t heard anything about the football IQ of our guys since the Linder, Feliciano, McDermott class left.

In coaching sometimes LESS is MORE And when less is more guys play faster. Also we have got to be patient with butch Barry he just got here and moreover he’s a former NFL coach so he knows what he’s doing and I can care less about the bucs record last year because it’s irrelevant.

In terms of mental mistakes, it is important to remember that we have a very young line. Not one senior in two-deep and only one junior.

While this is true, all I can remember was you posting how our OL was 9x.xx something while Clemson was xx.xx and so on.

No doubt youth is an issue. There is a large group that won't accept that and immediately wants everyone fired. I know one thing, our OL while young, isn't a championship line next year or even the year after. They're bad and there's a lot of trains for it. The Herald outlined a lot of them.

Advertisement
Back