Is Homer still a gunner on the coverage units?

ShadowSpring

Junior
The guy is probably the best gunner I've ever seen, but I am not sure I want my star RB playing extra downs. Surely with all the speed we've got now there's someone else that can take that responsibility.

Maybe put him out there against LSU, FSU, Clemson....

Advertisement
The guy is probably the best gunner I've ever seen, but I am not sure I want my star RB playing extra downs. Surely with all the speed we've got now there's someone else that can take that responsibility.

Maybe put him out there against LSU, FSU, Clemson....

It's time to let the new guys take over in place of Homer.....Lingard, Cam, Gray, etc

Advertisement
Homer is very physical as a gunner so whoever replaces him needs to be a beast back there too

Walton was the starting running back in 2016 and made a tackle in the bowl game on kickoff.

I don't think Homer will be on the coverage teams anymore, simply because you'd like to think we have more depth now, but it's not like Richt would be totally opposed to doing it.

Walton was on special teams last year too. I don't see why we'd take Homer off ST especially since he's so valuable there.

I think it's much more likely he hurts the return man than he gets hurt.

These are the kinds of questions I'd love answers to, but the off-season coverage for this team has been donkey **** bad.

Advertisement
Miami has 6 scholarship runningbacks and 2 fullbacks and I know he was on special teams even when Walton went down last year. There should be zero excuse for him to be out there this year.

Advertisement
Walton was on special teams last year too. I don't see why we'd take Homer off ST especially since he's so valuable there.

We haven't had this much depth in a while. Special teams is where physically and mentally ready freshmen can leave their mark.

We haven't had this much depth in a while. Special teams is where physically and mentally ready freshmen can leave their mark.

I hear you - and I don't think there's a right or wrong thing to do here.

IMO - We would've been devastated at RB if Homer got hurt on ST after Walton went down. But Homer never came off of ST, so I don't see why he would this year when we have more RB depth.

I'm sure our talented freshman can play well on ST. But Homer is a proven monster on ST, and I want our best players on the field.

Advertisement
Even when we didn't have the depth, I always agreed that Duke shouldn't play ST so this seems like a no-brainer. We've got other good RB (finally), but I still don't think you risk your starter on ST. There are too many guys who won't see the field much on O or D, let them get in on ST.

Advertisement
Back