Is Ferman calling for Cristobal?

Mario would be an outstanding hire at this time:

1) He has head coaching experience at a top 15 program.

2) He is a beast recruiter that would go all out to keep home grown talent at the U.

3) His best buddy OL Coach Alex Mirabel would fix our most glaring weaknesses annually.

4) He would run the spread.

5) He has experience seeing how the best program this decade operates.

I would love to have Urban Meyer or Dabo but what is a better option??

Advertisement
Like I said in another post, I think Mario could be our Cuban Butch. I'm for it. Will we have inexplicable let downs and occasionally lose to a team we have no business losing to? Yep. But, we are in triage, right now. He will make us better than we are and have been for the better part of 2 decades. They won't be smart and make it happen, but they really should do this. It's better for everyone.

2) He is a beast recruiter that would go all out to keep home grown talent at the U.

3) His best buddy OL Coach Alex Mirabel would fix our most glaring weaknesses annually.

What offense did mario run at FIU? I havent paid attention to him at oregon

Advertisement
It's amazing how people only want guys who have Miami connections coming here. I wonder if Dabo had any prior connections to Clemson or Saban any prior connection to Alabama. Just get me new blood who's not familiar with Miami, but will win.

Swinney had a connection to Tommy Bowden, who was Swinney's position coach at Bama. That's why Bowden hired him. Swinney had a pedigree. Played for Stallings and won a national championship. Also, coached for Stallings. Successful position coach and great recruiter.

Once Dabo leaves for the Bama job this conference will literally be up for grabs yearly. It shouldn’t be that difficult to find a coach who can get Miami into the conf title game consistently. Clemson will fall back to mediocrity and Miami will be able to jump onto the playoffs hype train without major obstacles.

No they won't. They'll just promote Venables.

None of those guys are options

Mario with experienced qualified co-ordinators would have us back in no time. I'm really impressed with how got the Sewell kid out of Georgia. He'd definitely be an upgrade over anything we've had in the last 2 decades. Plus, for all accounts, him and Blake didnt see eye to eye.... which proves hes not just some yes man! He's cut his teeth with a school that has a national brand and coached under someone who knows what it takes to build a program (Saban).

Problem is, Oregon is a wayyyy better situation than us. He has full support from the school and coaches at a college that doesnt feel academically inferior because of its athletic success.

Advertisement
A former player at a power 5 school with a history of being fired. I forget, do our fans support or oppose this type of hire?

I think Mario would fail....I think a number of coaches would fail. The job is so toxic it would take a complete animal to turn it around.

The job is only toxic because of the ridiculous hires. Miami is one competent head coach with competent coordinators away from being a perennial 10 plus win team. If Cristobal wins the Pac-12 championship game, then he finishes the regular season with 11 wins. This is not some G5 accomplishment winning your conference. To me this is a big deal.

That is coming off a 9 win season where he improved 2 games over Taggart. I am warming up to this idea because Cristobal does have a pedigree. National championship player. A GA for Davis and position coach for Schiano. Then back to Miami where he coached Miami's best unit--tight ends. Cut his teeth as head coach at FIU where they were finished 0-12 the year prior. Then on to Alabama under the best head coach in the last 60 years. He can recruit.

Bottomline, he would not be my first choice, but objectively he would be a very good candidate.

A former player at a power 5 school with a history of being fired. I forget, do our fans support or oppose this type of hire?

To be objective here, Cristobal was fired from 1 job--FIU and only because Pete Garcia is a douche bag.

Advertisement
No they won't. They'll just promote Venables.

Clemson will definitely fall back when Dabo leaves....there aren't a lot of coaches out there who can create places like Clemson, Bama or SC under Pete. Miami had the ability, at one time, to overcome coaches who may have been closer to average than they were to being considered upper echelon. I don't think any program is immune to falling off and history has shown that to be true.

Clemson will definitely fall back when Dabo leaves....there aren't a lot of coaches out there who can create places like Clemson, Bama or SC under Pete. Miami had the ability, at one time, to overcome coaches who may have been closer to average than they were to being considered upper echelon. I don't think any program is immune to falling off and history has shown that to be true.
Well, it is hard to maintain what Clemson is doing, but Venables comes with quite the pedigree. Played for Bill Snyder and coached for him when K State was very, very good. Defensive coordinator at Oklahoma when they won the national championship. He has been outstanding at Clemson as the defensive coordinator. He is a terrific recruiter, too. Clemson recruits like an $EC school.

Advertisement
Of course Ferman is calling for Mario, Gary is the king of the Russell Athletic Boys.

There's people on the BOT and elsewhere who've been dying to hire Cristobal, and that has always worried me.... Until I saw Manny's staff.

Not going to lie, Mario is an upgrade.

True, but Richt was only fired once too, and CIS had a field day with that one.

Mark Richt was long in the tooth and at the end of the road at Georgia. They were more than patient but enough was enough. What undid Richt was hiring his son as the QB position coach and deciding to be the offensive coordinator.

The job is only toxic because of the ridiculous hires. Miami is one competent head coach with competent coordinators away from being a perennial 10 plus win team. If Cristobal wins the Pac-12 championship game, then he finishes the regular season with 11 wins. This is not some G5 accomplishment winning your conference. To me this is a big deal.

That is coming off a 9 win season where he improved 2 games over Taggart. I am warming up to this idea because Cristobal does have a pedigree. National championship player. A GA for Davis and position coach for Schiano. Then back to Miami where he coached Miami's best unit--tight ends. Cut his teeth as head coach at FIU where they were finished 0-12 the year prior. Then on to Alabama under the best head coach in the last 60 years. He can recruit.

Bottomline, he would not be my first choice, but objectively he would be a very good candidate.
Your talking 15 years of treating sfla elites like ****

A guy like Cristobal can restore those relationships but he needs a elite staff and bags.

Advertisement
Back