Is College Football Officially on the Decline?

Advertisement

This is getting out of hand

Did you read the article. It’s more a conversation starter about the proper way for players to get compensated. I know Charlie baker. Me and his son are close and played together in College. Trust me, he is trying to help players in the best way possible.

If it were on the decline, it wouldn't be generating the amount of $$ it is.

Changes have been made and we just need to get used to them

Did you read the article. It’s more a conversation starter about the proper way for players to get compensated. I know Charlie baker. Me and his son are close and played together in College. Trust me, he is trying to help players in the best way possible.

I'm all for the athletes getting what they deserve be it NIL from booster clubs or NIL from the universities themselves. I'm just not a fan of making yet another division. So we'd then have FBS 1 schools and a champion, FBS 2 schools and a champion, D2, D3, etc... The other thing that would be interesting to see how they would navigate is the Title IX stuff and "equal opportunity", there's just no way you can equate a star player on the volleyball team getting anything remotely close to what the FB players are going to receive.

Advertisement

This is getting out of hand

You do realize it was always going to end like this didn’t you? The richest schools separating themselves from the G5 and lower tiered P5. And honestly maybe it needs to.

With realignment coming, schools in the bottom third of P5 conferences are nothing more than glorified G5 programs. Yes the schools will make more money, but they know they’ll never win anything in football. For those fans and students sake, hopefully they’ll invest that money into a winnable sport like basketball.

You do realize it was always going to end like this didn’t you? The richest schools separating themselves from the G5 and lower tiered P5. And honestly maybe it needs to.

With realignment coming, schools in the bottom third of P5 conferences are nothing more than glorified G5 programs. Yes the schools will make more money, but they know they’ll never win anything in football. For those fans and students sake, hopefully they’ll invest that money into a winnable sport like basketball.

Everyone could see it coming in some form. I thought it was probably going to be the SEC and B1G expanding by a few more teams and telling the NCAA to kick rocks while forming their own league. I honestly wonder if there will be any academics involved at all or if sports will just be viewed as a revenue generator with an education just being a perk for players if they want to take advantage of that or not. I remember in an interview years ago an Ohio Taint player was asked what degree he was pursuing and his answer was I'm majoring in NFL. Those days may be closer to reality that I would have expected.

Everyone could see it coming in some form. I thought it was probably going to be the SEC and B1G expanding by a few more teams and telling the NCAA to kick rocks while forming their own league. I honestly wonder if there will be any academics involved at all or if sports will just be viewed as a revenue generator with an education just being a perk for players if they want to take advantage of that or not. I remember in an interview years ago an Ohio Taint player was asked what degree he was pursuing and his answer was I'm majoring in NFL. Those days may be closer to reality that I would have expected.
I’m sure the NCAA would threaten the eligibility of every other sport if they tried to take football away from them. And those kids need educations even more bc most outside of basketball/football don’t get full rides. But I do see this proposal as a way for them to stay NCAA affiliated and break away and have their own CBA and rules. It was always the end goal after NIL and the new tv contracts that led to realignment were instituted. It’s a whole other league these teams will be playing in, with far bigger war chests.

IMO The next domino to eventually fall is some sort of results based revenue split. The “Power 2” will find a way to kick schools like Vandy and Rutgers, who bring no value, out.

Advertisement
Yes.
Following the path blazed by free agency in pro sports.

Truly glad I got to enjoy it before the change. However, now I gotta find a HS team to follow.

Someone on page one said that the NCAA basketball playoff is the best playoff and has 64 teams, but he did not make mention that those games are all played on a neutral site. The new football playoff format has the first two rounds being played at the home stadium of the higher seeded team.

That's always been part of the magic of the bowl games. The neutral site element.
Home playoff games are ******* sweet. Not enough cool bowl games for the first playoff games.

Yes.
Following the path blazed by free agency in pro sports.

Truly glad I got to enjoy it before the change. However, now I gotta find a HS team to follow.
I don't know where you live, but down here there are a few private high schools that cherrypick the best kids around the county with full rides.

I think you're going to have to watch Pop Warner to see a level of football where the lure of $$$ in one form or another has no effect.

Advertisement
Going forward, the regular season will not mean nearly as much. Every team will be able to lose a game and it will mean nothing.

There are no adults looking out for the well-being of the sport overall, just individual conferences looking to maximize the benefits ($) for their own cadre of schools and looking to pillage other conferences of schools which will bring in more money to their conference - with no regard to the effects on other conferences (schools), rivalries, traditions, additional travel for supposed "student"-athletes, and other intangible effects that may not necessarily show up on financial statements.

As such, fewer teams will have a legitimate shot at competing for championships as college football is becoming the SEC and Big 10 with scraps left over for everyone else.

At this point, why even bother with calling it "college" football? With such a lack of rules regarding the transfer portal, we're seeing individuals play for 3 or even 4 different teams in their "college" careers. Most schools won't even take credits from other colleges in the last 2 years of a degree - how does that even work? With NIL funds and players seemingly jumping ship if they don't get the number of snaps that they figure they deserve, it's semi-pro ball.

Btw, I'm all for players getting a paid, but there should be a formal framework set up, not the Wild West.
I’m not sure rules for NIL and the transfer portal won’t revert everything back to what everything once was. Let’s just say they cap payments to football to $5mill per team a season. Will UGA, Ohio State and Bama go back to paying players under the table in addition to the $5mill cap? With the playoff selections already having a heavy skew towards the SEC and the Ohio State’s of college football, adding bags to the ****nal of the SEC and OSU and we are back to square one in my opinion.

Advertisement
I’m not sure rules for NIL and the transfer portal won’t revert everything back to what everything once was. Let’s just say they cap payments to football to $5mill per team a season. Will UGA, Ohio State and Bama go back to paying players under the table in addition to the $5mill cap? With the playoff selections already having a heavy skew towards the SEC and the Ohio State’s of college football, adding bags to the ****nal of the SEC and OSU and we are back to square one in my opinion.
That's why I say you have to have an adult in the room looking out for the best interest of the sport as a whole, like a commissioner in professional sports. The NCAA once held that place, but they lost all semblance of credibility with their constant looking away from certain teams and conferences when it came to paying players under the table and other infractions.

Right now, the TV networks are who is actually running college football and frankly, they could care less who is cheating or not as long as the ratings are there. To your point, nothing will change as far as the big boys (UGA, Bama, OSU, etc.) skirting the rules as long as the sport as a whole doesn't get its own house in order.

Advertisement
Back