Is College Football Officially on the Decline?

Spoiler alert, all NFL teams have been taxable entities. The league office was tax exempt and voluntarily relinquished its status in 2015 due to negative publicity. So its $9 million in revenue was tax exempt in 2012 and the $11 billion the teams made was taxed.

https://time.com/3839164/nfl-tax-exempt-status/

Again, I'll spare you the demerit and disingenuity of comparing the tax statuses of NFL teams and universities.
Pardon me. How about a simple go fucc yourself? I would have respected that as a response rather than the micro examination you gave because you didn’t like getting called out over the stadium funding. Carry on.

Advertisement
Going forward, the regular season will not mean nearly as much. Every team will be able to lose a game and it will mean nothing.

There are no adults looking out for the well-being of the sport overall, just individual conferences looking to maximize the benefits ($) for their own cadre of schools and looking to pillage other conferences of schools which will bring in more money to their conference - with no regard to the effects on other conferences (schools), rivalries, traditions, additional travel for supposed "student"-athletes, and other intangible effects that may not necessarily show up on financial statements.

As such, fewer teams will have a legitimate shot at competing for championships as college football is becoming the SEC and Big 10 with scraps left over for everyone else.

At this point, why even bother with calling it "college" football? With such a lack of rules regarding the transfer portal, we're seeing individuals play for 3 or even 4 different teams in their "college" careers. Most schools won't even take credits from other colleges in the last 2 years of a degree - how does that even work? With NIL funds and players seemingly jumping ship if they don't get the number of snaps that they figure they deserve, it's semi-pro ball.

Btw, I'm all for players getting a paid, but there should be a formal framework set up, not the Wild West.
Who cares, we're a basketball school now. (and hopefully soon, maybe baseball as well)

It's been on a decline for a while. The product is full problems social, financial, ethical, and is no longer a respected venue.

4-6 of the teams won’t belong most years and will get rocked . It also kills the regular season. But it’s more football

I don’t think it kills regular season because you still need to be ranked as high as possible

Pardon me. How about a simple go fucc yourself? I would have respected that as a response rather than the micro examination you gave because you didn’t like getting called out over the stadium funding. Carry on.
Okay, **** off. 🤡

As I said, the stadium funding was a micro examination to begin with and you know it. Good day sir.

Advertisement
Going forward, the regular season will not mean nearly as much. Every team will be able to lose a game and it will mean nothing.

There are no adults looking out for the well-being of the sport overall, just individual conferences looking to maximize the benefits ($) for their own cadre of schools and looking to pillage other conferences of schools which will bring in more money to their conference - with no regard to the effects on other conferences (schools), rivalries, traditions, additional travel for supposed "student"-athletes, and other intangible effects that may not necessarily show up on financial statements.

As such, fewer teams will have a legitimate shot at competing for championships as college football is becoming the SEC and Big 10 with scraps left over for everyone else.

At this point, why even bother with calling it "college" football? With such a lack of rules regarding the transfer portal, we're seeing individuals play for 3 or even 4 different teams in their "college" careers. Most schools won't even take credits from other colleges in the last 2 years of a degree - how does that even work? With NIL funds and players seemingly jumping ship if they don't get the number of snaps that they figure they deserve, it's semi-pro ball.

Btw, I'm all for players getting a paid, but there should be a formal framework set up, not the Wild West.
The SEC ruined everything taking in mizzou and A&M 15 years ago that’s the start of it along with ncaa picking and choosing who was allowed to cheat

4-6 of the teams won’t belong most years and will get rocked . It also kills the regular season. But it’s more football
Regular season doesn’t seem to matter now. “Bama is a different team then they were in week2 “ was a huge talking point

12 team playoff is way too many teams. 8 team playoff would have sufficed.

Now with the conferences all not having divisions its gonna water it down a bit as well. Michigan Ohio state week 13, Michigan Ohio state B10 Championship game, Michigan Ohio state could meet again in the playoffs too, seems like way too much.
The NFL doesn't have a problem with teams meeting multiple times in the season.

Also, I rather see a rematch of Michigan/OSU game in the big 10 championship over michigan/iowa any day of the week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Someone on page one said that the NCAA basketball playoff is the best playoff and has 64 teams, but he did not make mention that those games are all played on a neutral site. The new football playoff format has the first two rounds being played at the home stadium of the higher seeded team.

That's always been part of the magic of the bowl games. The neutral site element.
Just the first, qf is the remaining 4 new years six games.

They should use the other top tier bowls( Citrus, Holiday, Sun, Gator,for the first round and use the other for nit type tournament for football instead of bowl season.

Just the first, qf is the remaining 4 new years six games.

They should use the other top tier bowls( Citrus, Holiday, Sun, Gator,for the first round and use the other for nit type tournament for football instead of bowl season.

Interesting. I stand corrected.

Where CFP games will be played​

The lower seed has the opportunity to select the host venue during the first round. Bowl games will be introduced in the quarterfinal round. The semifinals will be played in bowls on a rotating basis while the national championship host site is determined through bids by prospective host sites.

12 team playoff is way too many teams. 8 team playoff would have sufficed.

Now with the conferences all not having divisions its gonna water it down a bit as well. Michigan Ohio state week 13, Michigan Ohio state B10 Championship game, Michigan Ohio state could meet again in the playoffs too, seems like way too much.
I totally agree. Honestly, when was the last time we all sat back at the end of a long season and thought, “Ya know, that #12 team really could have done some damage had they gotten in the playoff.” For instance, this year we’d have teams like Missouri and Ole Miss in the playoff. Are those pretty good teams? Yes. Playoff caliber? Absolutely not. So yea, I definitely think 8 teams would have been plenty.

It’s not in decline, but the playoff should be 8. With 12 you’re now looking at teams possibly being able to rest guys like G5 teams that are already in their conference championship games, late in the season. It would not surprise me if in a few years when the B10 and SEC add a few more teams and we see a true “power 2” that they either do away with rivalry weekend or move it to midseason for this very reason. Worst case is those games lose luster. Case in point, if Bama or UGA are 10-1 or 12-0 like this year and their QB is gimpy, why risk it to win against 6-5 GT or Auburn, with the playoffs coming up?

I do not trust the decision makers to preserve the meaning of those games.
You had me at: “I do not trust the decision makers”

Advertisement
Back