Is College Football Officially on the Decline?

CaneinBroward

Recruit
Going forward, the regular season will not mean nearly as much. Every team will be able to lose a game and it will mean nothing.

There are no adults looking out for the well-being of the sport overall, just individual conferences looking to maximize the benefits ($) for their own cadre of schools and looking to pillage other conferences of schools which will bring in more money to their conference - with no regard to the effects on other conferences (schools), rivalries, traditions, additional travel for supposed "student"-athletes, and other intangible effects that may not necessarily show up on financial statements.

As such, fewer teams will have a legitimate shot at competing for championships as college football is becoming the SEC and Big 10 with scraps left over for everyone else.

At this point, why even bother with calling it "college" football? With such a lack of rules regarding the transfer portal, we're seeing individuals play for 3 or even 4 different teams in their "college" careers. Most schools won't even take credits from other colleges in the last 2 years of a degree - how does that even work? With NIL funds and players seemingly jumping ship if they don't get the number of snaps that they figure they deserve, it's semi-pro ball.

Btw, I'm all for players getting a paid, but there should be a formal framework set up, not the Wild West.

Advertisement
12 team playoff is way too many teams. 8 team playoff would have sufficed.

Now with the conferences all not having divisions its gonna water it down a bit as well. Michigan Ohio state week 13, Michigan Ohio state B10 Championship game, Michigan Ohio state could meet again in the playoffs too, seems like way too much.

Advertisement
Yes, but only in the sense of breadth and depth of interest. This isn't a country full of people who define their identity based on sports. This is not Argentina.

In terms of overall money, the sport is fine.

I do not believe in trying to bother with "formal framework" stuff.

For me, I'll always be a fan because it hits closer to home than the NFL. I prefer the grassroots.

12 team playoff. of course each game doesnt mean as much. but let me ask you if the ncaa tourney is better than the CFP. of course it is. i am looking forward to it.
I hear ya, but I think 8 was the right number, not 12. I think there is a way to balance maintaining the most relevant regular season in all of sports and access to winning a championship. Yes, the NCAA tournament is exciting, but who really cares about the regular season? Just figure a way to get to 21 or 22 wins so you get in the tournament. And even then, you can still get in by making a run in your conference tournament and getting in that way.

Plus, frankly, I'm more concerned about the other items I mentioned - specifically the lack of anyone really looking out for the greater good of the sport as a whole and power instead being given to the TV networks who don't really care about the health of the sport itself, but the ratings they get. All the power is going to the Big 2 and unless you're in the Big 2 (hopefully Miami gets an invite), you're on the outside looking in.

Advertisement
I hear ya, but I think 8 was the right number, not 12. I think there is a way to balance maintaining the most relevant regular season in all of sports and access to winning a championship. Yes, the NCAA tournament is exciting, but who really cares about the regular season? Just figure a way to get to 21 or 22 wins so you get in the tournament. And even then, you can still get in by making a run in your conference tournament and getting in that way.

Plus, frankly, I'm more concerned about the other items I mentioned - specifically the lack of anyone really looking out for the greater good of the sport as a whole and power instead being given to the TV networks who don't really care about the health of the sport itself, but the ratings they get. All the power is going to the Big 2 and unless you're in the Big 2 (hopefully Miami gets an invite), you're on the outside looking in.
12 just means no one can get screwed. Literally the 12th ranked team is never going to win it all.

Yes, but only in the sense of breadth and depth of interest. This isn't a country full of people who define their identity based on sports. This is not Argentina.

In terms of overall money, the sport is fine.

I do not believe in trying to bother with "formal framework" stuff.

For me, I'll always be a fan because it hits closer to home than the NFL. I prefer the grassroots.
Same for me and that's why I'm concerned. I was about 5 years old when Miami's BOT was considering getting rid of football altogether and I've seen this little private school in Coral Gables reach the top of the mountain. Tough to be grassroots when it seems all the power is soon to be housed in 2 conferences.

Advertisement
A few things. With an expanded playoff that means more games I don't know how many more but more games. College football is no more with the nil it is the equivalent of triple a in baseball. Only different is some get more nil money than they would from going to a major professional team. The draft status and transfer portal has made some of the bowls meaningless since some important players dont participate.

The game has ALWAYS been the "Haves" vs the "Havenots". Whether it was Alabama hoarding talent by issuing 150+ scholarships, whether it was schools like Notre Dame and others leveraging the medium of television to give themselves a unique recruiting advantage, there has always been a divide. The only difference now is that unlike in previous generations where if you were part of the have nots, you had practically no chance, at least if you manage to be one of the 12 best(starting next year), you can sneak into the playoff and play your way to the title. Keep in mind, next year, P5 winners will be automatically in, the highest rated midmajor and then the rest of the slots will be up to the committee. It isn't optimal, but considering that we are talking about 120+ programs, compared to 32 NFL franchises, there will never be a truly fair way to determine a champion.

Advertisement
Same for me and that's why I'm concerned. I was about 5 years old when Miami's BOT was considering getting rid of football altogether and I've seen this little private school in Coral Gables reach the top of the mountain. Tough to be grassroots when it seems all the power is soon to be housed in 2 conferences.
Consolidation was bound to happen, once the money got to where it is now. This isn't a mom and pop thing anymore, and the way to maximize profit is to eliminate competition. It's true in business, it's true in sports as well.

If they would of went with a 6 team playoff from the beginning likecthey shoild of I don't think it ever goes to 12 teams atleast not this soon.

Advertisement
Back