IPF - 1.2M remains to fund

It's really not all that difficult to raise money if you're a non-profit. That's because you can sell the donors the tax benefits when donating to a non-profit.

Now if someone is donating for specific research - that money gets pretty much spent on that particular sliver of medical research - and that's not exactly a profit center. At all. Other times, a big endowment will be banked and then the university will spend the interest/investment earnings, leaving the principle intact.

Miami football, in contrast - makes money. Revenue. Often folded back into the Athletics Department for Women's swimming, or golf - or some other money-losing activity.

But at least the football program earns REVENUE. Unlike all other things at the university.

Now on that research - every professor wants a piece of those donations to pursue his pet project that funding will allow. You want to do spinal cord injury research? Look for a nutrition element - rehashing electrical stimulation (known for over 50 years), an accompanying obesity study of paralyzed patients - about a dozen major efforts OTHER than trying to reverse or correct spinal cord injuries.

But. The donors get their big tax credits - based on their personal tax rates. Oh. And if they contribute enough, you'll get a building, a hall, a laboratory closet, or a schitter named after you.

The football program by contrast - is a revenue generating activity. The better the football program, the more it's known, the more it's marketed, the more revenue it generates. How the university wastes the excess revenue over football program costs is up to them. And they manage quite well.

Research donations are pretty much a wash. Those dollars not directly allocated for research - provide more administrative positions (roughly 15%) which are more dead weight.

And for the record - the famous "U"? Wasn't academia that came up with that. Wasn't research projects that pushed that.

It was the Football Program that's marketed that - and guess what is right out front of the University? Guess what is the nationally recognized symbol of the University of Miami?

The football logo.

This is going to be REAL GOOD, ORIGINAL is going to BLOW when OCC reads this .

Got to get ready to enjoy this one 😳😳😳😳😳😳

GOCANES

Advertisement
Also, people just can’t get through their heads the separation between athletics and academics.

They’re two completely differently funded domains, no matter the university.

And what SOME people can't get through their heads is that the FOOTBALL program generates true REVENUE.

Academics and academic research are COST centers.

Darn it , I’m too late LMAO , everyone knows OCC can’t contain himself on this stuff , anyway CUT IT LOOSE ORIGINAL LET IT BLOW we’re all set here

GOCANES

And what SOME people can't get through their heads is that the FOOTBALL program generates true REVENUE.

Academics and academic research are COST centers.

So?

It’s all semantics. Academic centers are self funded with billions in donations so what actual difference does it make?

Advertisement
ACC Bowl revenue 12% increase to $418,000,000.00 this passed year average per team $30,000,000.00 plus over and above for participating teams.
I wonder does football the money maker get to keep some to pay for IPF leftover $$.

GOCANES

So?

It’s all semantics. Academic centers are self funded with billions in donations so what actual difference does it make?

Great.

A know-it-all dip**** who at the end, doesn't know a revenue from a cost designated donation.

You sound like HIllary. "What difference does it make?"

And no, state schools get additional state and even federal funds.

You might want to take a nap.

Advertisement
I also put my money where my mouth is by contributing to the program. How about you guys?

Not sure if you're asking for a pity party, or to stick out your chest, and say, "I'm special!"

Even folks who buy season tickets contribute to the program.

I'm sure there are others who have donated to the program, but they don't mention it. It would be too embarrassing for them.

UMfar,
I just don’t know what’s up with OCC he just hasn’t been the same .

I see some signs of normal foulness name calling at times then BOOM a change of like waiting for positive reinforcement of some kind and it’s not there.

It is a concern we all need to address and offer support.

These symptoms sound very familiar to me hummm .

Oh well soon some poor soul here can be sacrificed and OCC can yell screaming name calling and he’ll be back to normal.

GOCANES

UMfar,
I just don’t know what’s up with OCC he just hasn’t been the same .

I see some signs of normal foulness name calling at times then BOOM a change of like waiting for positive reinforcement of some kind and it’s not there.

It is a concern we all need to address and offer support.

These symptoms sound very familiar to me hummm .

Oh well soon some poor soul here can be sacrificed and OCC can yell screaming name calling and he’ll be back to normal.

GOCANES

In English, so we can all understand.

Great.

A know-it-all dip**** who at the end, doesn't know a revenue from a cost designated donation.

You sound like HIllary. "What difference does it make?"

And no, state schools get additional state and even federal funds.

You might want to take a nap.

Of course I know the difference. You know I know the difference.

You also know there’s no reason to bring up Hillary or Trump or any political figure, but that’s just a really easy way for a simpleton like you to politicize the exchange.

You keep throwing out red herrings and non-sequiturs. State schools, federal fundings. Topics we haven’t even broached.

You’re all over the place.

You just keep digging yourself deeper in this hole. I guess you have this opinion of yourself as being worldly or erudite, or learned. The way you’ve been flailing around in these posts proves otherwise.

You’re really struggling here.

Take a knee and gather yourself.

Advertisement
Of course I know the difference. You know I know the difference.

You also know there’s no reason to bring up Hillary or Trump or any political figure, but that’s just a really easy way for a simpleton like you to politicize the exchange.

You keep throwing out red herrings and non-sequiturs. State schools, federal fundings. Topics we haven’t even broached.

You’re all over the place.

You just keep digging yourself deeper in this hole. I guess you have this opinion of yourself as being worldly or erudite, or learned. The way you’ve been flailing around in these posts proves otherwise.

You’re really struggling here.

Take a knee and gather yourself.

You knew the difference? It sure didn't show. Clearly, you've not overburdened yourself with financial terminology, nor concepts as simple as "revenue-generation." You had to look it up during that pause.

I didn't politicize anything - you're the one that said "What difference does it make?" It just so happens that another notorious excuse-maker when questioned - resorted to the same, ****-poor reply. Nothing political - just a phrase we're all familiar with.

Clearly, each trip to the bathroom that involves toilet paper - you lose some more IQ, or what fills your squash. I'm not rude, I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking - that extra chromosome of yours is really making itself known., as on this topic, you're as lost as a tick on a teddy bear.

We can do this from now till Gabriel blows his horn - if you're up for it. I've just never seen a man so anxious to demonstrate your dedication to the 50/50/90 rule. If you have a 50/50 chance in getting something right, 90% of the time, you get it wrong - and that in of itself is rather impressive.

If you weren't so quick to inject your opinion on everything - and I mean EVERYTHING - no one would know you're as windy as a sack full of farts.

Slow it down a bit.

What the **** are you guys arguing about? Whether people should donate to the football program? Seriously yall acting like fools. If you don't want to donate shut your mouth and don't donate.

The Athletic Department is financially independent of the Academic institution that is the University of Miami. Money doesn't flow from Academics to Athletics. It flows the opposite direction.

It doesn't matter how much money a school/athletic program has, they are ALL reliant on donations to build facilities such as an IPF. If you don't want to donate, don't expect better facilities, it's as simple as that.

You knew the difference? It sure didn't show. Clearly, you've not overburdened yourself with financial terminology, nor concepts as simple as "revenue-generation." You had to look it up during that pause.

I didn't politicize anything - you're the one that said "What difference does it make?" It just so happens that another notorious excuse-maker when questioned - resorted to the same, ****-poor reply. Nothing political - just a phrase we're all familiar with.

Clearly, each trip to the bathroom that involves toilet paper - you lose some more IQ, or what fills your squash. I'm not rude, I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking - that extra chromosome of yours is really making itself known., as on this topic, you're as lost as a tick on a teddy bear.

We can do this from now till Gabriel blows his horn - if you're up for it. I've just never seen a man so anxious to demonstrate your dedication to the 50/50/90 rule. If you have a 50/50 chance in getting something right, 90% of the time, you get it wrong - and that in of itself is rather impressive.

If you weren't so quick to inject your opinion on everything - and I mean EVERYTHING - no one would know you're as windy as a sack full of farts.

Slow it down a bit.

You just keep proving my point.

You generate a lot of words but you really have no point.

What is your point, anyway?

What is it that you disagree with? Just a sentence or two would suffice.

Advertisement
What the **** are you guys arguing about? Whether people should donate to the football program? Seriously yall acting like fools. If you don't want to donate shut your mouth and don't donate.

The Athletic Department is financially independent of the Academic institution that is the University of Miami. Money doesn't flow from Academics to Athletics. It flows the opposite direction.

It doesn't matter how much money a school/athletic program has, they are ALL reliant on donations to build facilities such as an IPF. If you don't want to donate, don't expect better facilities, it's as simple as that.

I'm just having fun. No real recruiting news, no practices, football news is as hard to find as a virgin in a tiddie bar - and I find myself with a stationary target with no bullets.

I see Original bloviate on every subject that comes up with an air of expertise that he clearly doesn't have - never had - and tomorrow isn't looking good either. So I'm bored and decided to have a little fun.

You know what fun is, right? My kind of fun may not be your kind of fun - but fun is fun. And you gotta take your fun where you find it. It can always be found in Original's posts!

It's not like you and I were doing anything else constructive - right?

Original never seems to counter with any degree of competency a point - he just jumps right into his next blather.

The "U" was a football logo - and no one can tell me that millions of dollars of free, televised publicity doesn't have an effect on the University. Oh, it's nice now though - that the university - has adapted the "U." Like academia had diddly-**** to do with it. Nor donors.

I'm just having fun. No real recruiting news, no practices, football news is as hard to find as a virgin in a tiddie bar - and I find myself with a stationary target who ran out of bullets.

I see Original bloviate on every subject that comes up with an air of expertise that he clearly doesn't have - never had - and tomorrow isn't looking good either. So I'm bored and decided to have a little fun.

You know what fun is, right? My kind of fun may not be your kind of fun - but fun is fun. And you gotta take your fun where you find it. It can always be found in Original's posts!

Original never seems to counter with any degree of competency a point - he just jumps right into his next blather.

The "U" was a football logo - and no one can tell me that millions of dollars of free, televised publicity doesn't have an effect on the University. Oh, it's nice now though - that the university - has adapted the "U." Like academia had diddly-**** to do with it. Nor donors.

I'm just having fun. No real recruiting news, no practices, football news is as hard to find as a virgin in a tiddie bar - and I find myself with a stationary target with no bullets.

many universities are adopting the Athletic logo into their actual academic logo. This is nothing unique to Miami. The reason why is because no one gives a **** about the academic logos or seals (which should be solely reserved for like diplomas and ****), that are full of latin and intricate bs. The sports logos are easily identifiable, and if the sports teams are historically good, its an even better association to use. Miami academic departments were using the U logo since the 70's. **** in the early 2ks, the Campus PD began using the logo too. I'd say we were ahead of the curve in this regard. **** I think we actually gotta give credit to Shalala for that - they did a whole branding campaing in the late 2ks after we got the UHealth Program started.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back