IPF - 1.2M remains to fund

I disagree that they are outside of scope......more people know Miami from football than anything else, it put them on the map. They still choose not to fund it cause its convenient.

I would agree.

UM gets multiple millions of dollars of marketing exposure through the football program alone.

When the football program is rocking - lots of kids through exposure are made aware of UM, the campus, and the fact that it's a private school.

Game Day exposure?

For a small school - that's a major marketing coup!

When idiots like Shalala let the program deteriorate - and then lose assloads of money on their medical disasters - that does NOTHING to help UM.

But a winning football program always helps UM.

Advertisement
I would agree.

UM gets multiple millions of dollars of marketing exposure through the football program alone.

When the football program is rocking - lots of kids through exposure are made aware of UM, the campus, and the fact that it's a private school.

Game Day exposure?

For a small school - that's a major marketing coup!

When idiots like Shalala let the program deteriorate - and then lose assloads of money on their medical disasters - that does NOTHING to help UM.

But a winning football program always helps UM.

Marketing is nice, but that doesn't really draw in the money you people believe it does. You know what brings in the money? RESEARCH. Guess what, the donors that write the huge checks aren't writing them because the football team wins, they are writing them because the research done at the Med School may save their lives one day. That's why the Miller family writes $500,000,000 checks to the med school, while our largest football donors give a fraction of that amount. Yes, a good football program will lead to an increase of applications, but let's be honest, the kind of kid that selects a college based upon the football program(and they aren't a student-athlete) is the kind of kid that won't gain admission into Miami. Look at the student body now, it's not the meathead, Corvette driving frat boys from the 70s and 80s. It's a different crowd, which makes sense when you look at the scores and grades that you need in order to gain admission.

Marketing is nice, but that doesn't really draw in the money you people believe it does. You know what brings in the money? RESEARCH. Guess what, the donors that write the huge checks aren't writing them because the football team wins, they are writing them because the research done at the Med School may save their lives one day. That's why the Miller family writes $500,000,000 checks to the med school, while our largest football donors give a fraction of that amount. Yes, a good football program will lead to an increase of applications, but let's be honest, the kind of kid that selects a college based upon the football program(and they aren't a student-athlete) is the kind of kid that won't gain admission into Miami. Look at the student body now, it's not the meathead, Corvette driving frat boys from the 70s and 80s. It's a different crowd, which makes sense when you look at the scores and grades that you need in order to gain admission.

I never said the millions of dollars of exposure converted directly into dollars or grants. I said exposure.

And if someone is looking at a top private school - then UM if nationally exposed during football season - WILL draw some of the more well to do students who 1.) don't live in or around UM, 2.) are really unaware of UM, but due to national football exposure take a look and like what they see, and 3.) may also enjoy the small school with a prestigious, successful football - indicating a small school that excels at something more publicly acknowledged - besides excellent academics.

If a small school can excel against the big, public schools in athletics - how much more so do they have a great academic university?

Saban and his highly paid program don't cost Alabama one red cent. Saban and his crew make their own salaries, and a whole lot of other money for the University. Just like a good salesman - regardless of how much he makes - makes his wages and a whole lot more.

I never said the millions of dollars of exposure converted directly into dollars or grants. I said exposure.

And if someone is looking at a top private school - then UM if nationally exposed during football season - WILL draw some of the more well to do students who 1.) don't live in or around UM, 2.) are really unaware of UM, but due to national football exposure take a look and like what they see, and 3.) may also enjoy the small school with a prestigious, successful football - indicating a small school that excels at something more publicly acknowledged - besides excellent academics.

If a small school can excel against the big, public schools in athletics - how much more so do they have a great academic university?
Saban and his highly paid program don't cost Alabama one red cent. Saban and his crew make their own salaries, and a whole lot of other money for the University. Just like a good salesman - regardless of how much he makes - makes his wages and a whole lot more.

But the really big bucks, the billions, come from people interested in medicine and R&D. I love football and the canes, but you can’t be a narrow minded provincial thinker like a lot of people that comment here.

Like all the people that constantly bash Shalala and blame her for the football problems. I’ve never been a big fan of hers, but that’s for other reasons.

The reason Miami football failed from 2004 to 2015 was the BOT and the ADs. You can blame Shalala for not taking the bull by the horns and for not doing enough to stop the slide, but the slide falls primarily on THEIR shoulders.

They were the ones that should have known what they were doing and should have been able to understand the college football landscape and made the right hires, spent the right money, and kept up. They’re the ones that should have been advising Shalala on what to do. Not the other way around.

In fact, the only thing that was actually done well at all during that time was when national dirty political hardball had to be played, she hit it out of the park vs the NCAA.

I’m not saying she was blameless on the downfall, because she was the president of the University, so she should have been way MORE DEMANDING of the BOT and the ADs and not accepted the mediocrity. But the BOT, the ADs (and the coaches) were the ones serving up the mediocrity. She just should not have accepted the excuses. But they were driving the failure, not her.

During her tenure, the 90% of her responsibility regarding fundraising and academic prestige and other academic and administrative factors of the university, there’s no doubt they improved spectacularly. That can’t be argued, and I was never a Shalala fan. Bear that in mind.

Advertisement
But the really big bucks, the billions, come from people interested in medicine and R&D. I love football and the canes, but you can’t be a narrow minded provincial thinker like a lot of people that comment here.

Like all the people that constantly bash Shalala and blame her for the football problems. I’ve never been a big fan of hers, but that’s for other reasons.

The reason Miami football failed from 2004 to 2015 was the BOT and the ADs. You can blame Shalala for not taking the bull by the horns and for not doing enough to stop the slide, but the slide falls primarily on THEIR shoulders.

They were the ones that should have known what they were doing and should have been able to understand the college football landscape and made the right hires, spent the right money, and kept up. They’re the ones that should have been advising Shalala on what to do. Not the other way around.

In fact, the only thing that was actually done well at all during that time was when national dirty political hardball had to be played, she hit it out of the park vs the NCAA.

I’m not saying she was blameless on the downfall, because she was the president of the University, so she should have been way MORE DEMANDING of the BOT and the ADs and not accepted the mediocrity. But the BOT, the ADs (and the coaches) were the ones serving up the mediocrity. She just should not have accepted the excuses. But they were driving the failure, not her.

During her tenure, the 90% of her responsibility regarding fundraising and academic prestige and other academic and administrative factors of the university, there’s no doubt they improved spectacularly. That can’t be argued, and I was never a Shalala fan. Bear that in mind.

Of course the mega donors are more interested in research. Some in marine research, some in medical research - they have their own pet interests they fund.

The ground commander should be the one responsible for what happens under his command. To permit a detrimental condition is to fail to properly command. She failed on numerous items.

Even a university that is provided megabucks for research - needs students and faculty. The reason schools football games that are televised get to advertise their school - is indicative that they must believe that marketing is beneficial - or they wouldn't bother with a little 30-second or 60-second spot to tout their university.

I'm just saying that often academia to be so bright - are often so damned dumb - and the brighter their intellect - the propensity to ignore the obvious. Marketing - be it purchased multi-media marketing endeavors - or a nationally recognized top football program - that gets the name of the university out front and in the face of the public - is a very good thing. It DOES influence student's decisions to attend - all other things being equal - and it reflects on the excellence of the university.

When a top, winning University of Miami is on national television for hours on a weekend - to purchase that same amount of television ads - would cost untold funds.

Familiarity, exposure, excellence, and publicity is always good - millions of dollars worth over a successful season is immeasurable.

Of course the mega donors are more interested in research. Some in marine research, some in medical research - they have their own pet interests they fund.

The ground commander should be the one responsible for what happens under his command. To permit a detrimental condition is to fail to properly command. She failed on numerous items.

Even a university that is provided megabucks for research - needs students and faculty. The reason schools football games that are televised get to advertise their school - is indicative that they must believe that marketing is beneficial - or they wouldn't bother with a little 30-second or 60-second spot to tout their university.

I'm just saying that often academia to be so bright - are often so damned dumb - and the brighter their intellect - the propensity to ignore the obvious. Marketing - be it purchased multi-media marketing endeavors - or a nationally recognized top football program - that gets the name of the university out front and in the face of the public - is a very good thing. It DOES influence student's decisions to attend - all other things being equal - and it reflects on the excellence of the university.

When a top, winning University of Miami is on national television for hours on a weekend - to purchase that same amount of television ads - would cost untold funds.

Familiarity, exposure, excellence, and publicity is always good - millions of dollars worth over a successful season is immeasurable.

The two most important words in advertising are target audience.

Think about that.

Advertisement
What about the GT driving crowd 🤔.

I'll give you two more words: mass exposure.

Two more: Name brand.

Two more: National Recognition.

Think about that.

But which leads to greater dollars?

Unless your hitting the right audience, you’re not getting bang for your buck.

We’re talking about contributions here. Nothing more.

Target audience trumps name brand and national recognition in what we’re talking about. We’re not selling a mass audience product. This isn’t beer or automobiles.

You’re outclassed here, friend.

Advertisement
But which leads to greater dollars?

Unless your hitting the right audience, you’re not getting bang for your buck.

We’re talking about contributions here. Nothing more.

Target audience trumps name brand and national recognition in what we’re talking about. We’re not selling a mass audience product. This isn’t beer or automobiles.

You’re outclassed here, friend.

YOU are talking about contributions. Some rich, stick-up-their-asses folks who not only donate to the university - but stipulate what it has to go to.

I'm talking about national recognition of the school and it's program. I'm talking about the influence it DOES have on students - and where they want to attend school. Numbers of students increases. You were probably still crapping green in your little nappy's - but when the UM football program took off - within a few years of success - the university had a real jump in growth - and contributions.

I'm not outclassed here - as usual - you're the damned know-it-all on all topics - except you never do. And I'm not your friend.

I've traveled across country for many years - and in days past - you'd see UM gear for sale in Kansas. Nebraska. Idaho. Virginia. North Carolina. Everywhere.

Kids, even younger ones wearing UM gear. Back when we were winning.

Most here don't recall those days. Oh, they've seen videos, seen the 30 for 30's, and vaguely recall events that began 38 years ago - but they didn't live it. And don't recall that back then, all those stick-crammed-up-their-*** rich people didn't care all that much back then, and a lot of the current rich-stick-up-their-asses didn't even HAVE all that money back then.

Take a break - if as much **** came out urass as comes out your mouth, you'd have **** yourself to death years ago.

YOU are talking about contributions. Some rich, stick-up-their-asses folks who not only donate to the university - but stipulate what it has to go to.

I'm talking about national recognition of the school and it's program. I'm talking about the influence it DOES have on students - and where they want to attend school. Numbers of students increases. You were probably still crapping green in your little nappy's - but when the UM football program took off - within a few years of success - the university had a real jump in growth - and contributions.

I'm not outclassed here - as usual - you're the damned know-it-all on all topics - except you never do. And I'm not your friend.

I've traveled across country for many years - and in days past - you'd see UM gear for sale in Kansas. Nebraska. Idaho. Virginia. North Carolina. Everywhere.

Kids, even younger ones wearing UM gear. Back when we were winning.

Most here don't recall those days. Oh, they've seen videos, seen the 30 for 30's, and vaguely recall events that began 38 years ago - but they didn't live it. And don't recall that back then, all those stick-crammed-up-their-*** rich people didn't care all that much back then, and a lot of the current rich-stick-up-their-asses didn't even HAVE all that money back then.

Take a break - if as much **** came out urass as comes out your mouth, you'd have **** yourself to death years ago.

You’re really angry because you’re getting schooled.

Billions in contributions far surpasses what the school earns from t-shirt licensing profits.

University of Miami exceeds fundraising expectations by billions
University of Miami exceeds fundraising expectations by billions - Hispanic Executive

For the record, I’m thrilled with the national recognition and the national brand awareness, and the modest increases in enrollment (which are limited, of course, contributions aren’t) but I just happen to know just a tad bit more than you regarding the actual revenue inflows. It’s actually not that hard to figure out.

Also, I tend to be open minded, and when someone knows more than I do about something, I shutup and listen. I would highly recommend it.

The hypocrisy in this thread is astounding. I'm reading "why should I have to pay?" from the same people who complain that we whiffed on 5 star DBs and that we can't get better coaches. This is why rivals laugh at us.

Amazing

It costs to win.

Where some of our fans are confused is they don't understand that the $$ for winning for ALL athletic program projects comes mainly from their alums, and fans, and that ALL sports are EXTRA-curricular activities for any University. That means that sports are a sideline, not the purpose for existence for any University.

EXTRA-curricular means its not academic

I'm done arguing.

If someone really wants to understand why the University doesn't pay for it themselves, instead of spreading ignorance, look it up on your own .....then you'll see why they can't.

Academics run Universities. Its never been the other way around except in the minds of some sports fans who unfortunately are ignorant of the facts

Last edited:
Advertisement
Amazing

It costs to win.

Where some of our fans are confused is they don't understand that the $$ for winning at ALL athletic program projects comes mainly from their alums, and fans, and that ALL sports are EXTRA-curricular activities for any University.

I'm done arguing.

If someone really wants to understand why the University doesn't pay for it themselves, instead of spreading ignorance, look it up on your own .....then you'll see why they can't.

Also, people just can’t get through their heads the separation between athletics and academics.

They’re two completely differently funded domains, no matter the university.

Whoa! It went up $5! So, the numbers don't change over the weekend! This means, my $5 is literally the only money that got donated to this site since I posted! Total is now $33,300,101!

The total went up $10 since I posted this, and if it was anyone in this thread I want to thank you personally.

You’re really angry because you’re getting schooled.

Billions in contributions far surpasses what the school earns from t-shirt licensing profits.

University of Miami exceeds fundraising expectations by billions
University of Miami exceeds fundraising expectations by billions - Hispanic Executive

For the record, I’m thrilled with the national recognition and the national brand awareness, and the modest increases in enrollment (which are limited, of course, contributions aren’t) but I just happen to know just a tad bit more than you regarding the actual revenue inflows. It’s actually not that hard to figure out.

Also, I tend to be open minded, and when someone knows more than I do about something, I shutup and listen. I would highly recommend it.

It's really not all that difficult to raise money if you're a non-profit. That's because you can sell the donors the tax benefits when donating to a non-profit.

Now if someone is donating for specific research - that money gets pretty much spent on that particular sliver of medical research - and that's not exactly a profit center. At all. Other times, a big endowment will be banked and then the university will spend the interest/investment earnings, leaving the principle intact.

Miami football, in contrast - makes money. Revenue. Often folded back into the Athletics Department for Women's swimming, or golf - or some other money-losing activity.

But at least the football program earns REVENUE. Unlike all other things at the university.

Now on that research - every professor wants a piece of those donations to pursue his pet project that funding will allow. You want to do spinal cord injury research? Look for a nutrition element - rehashing electrical stimulation (known for over 50 years), an accompanying obesity study of paralyzed patients - about a dozen major efforts OTHER than trying to reverse or correct spinal cord injuries.

But. The donors get their big tax credits - based on their personal tax rates. Oh. And if they contribute enough, you'll get a building, a hall, a laboratory closet, or a schitter named after you.

The football program by contrast - is a revenue generating activity. The better the football program, the more it's known, the more it's marketed, the more revenue it generates. How the university wastes the excess revenue over football program costs is up to them. And they manage quite well.

Research donations are pretty much a wash. Those dollars not directly allocated for research - provide more administrative positions (roughly 15%) which are more dead weight.

And for the record - the famous "U"? Wasn't academia that came up with that. Wasn't research projects that pushed that.

It was the Football Program that's marketed that - and guess what is right out front of the University? Guess what is the nationally recognized symbol of the University of Miami?

The football logo.

Advertisement
Back