Interview on NIL Miami's Associate AD for Compliance and Assistant AD for Digital Strategy

Advertisement
This is precisely what was on my mind. How does NIL $ affect a student-athlete's eligibility for financial aid?
By Federal law and school policy, all student and parent/guardian sources of income must be considered in aid determinations.

Now, skill/academic achievement schollies are different, but above 100% applies to need based aid.

I think more a problem for G5/DII/III than D1P5 because they rely more on a portfolio of aid packages vs just "play football" funds

Didnt some celebrity/rapper kiddo sign a $2MM NIL deal? Not a great look for them to be on any scholarship right?

By Federal law and school policy, all student and parent/guardian sources of income must be considered in aid determinations.

Now, skill/academic achievement schollies are different, but above 100% applies to need based aid.

I think more a problem for G5/DII/III than D1P5 because they rely more on a portfolio of aid packages vs just "play football" funds

Didnt some celebrity/rapper kiddo sign a $2MM NIL deal? Not a great look for them to be on any scholarship right?
Yeah, I have to imagine that some players may have to file income taxes based on NIL money which could jeopardize some aid eligibility. I can't imagine this will affect many players but it may affect some of the more financially lucrative players.

Advertisement
Also - How is this going to be verified? Tax returns? Will the NCAA begin reviewing income tax filings of scholarship athletes? Will they assume to have auditing authority? This is why I predict that a federal alphabet agency will eventually be given regulating authority over this new sub-industry.

This is an excellent point and no court in the US would uphold a requirement for a person to provide his tax returns to any non-governmental entity.

I seriously doubt the federal government wants to get involved in regulating this. It is ostensibly private industry (despite some of it being state regulated) and is certainly private industry as it relates to private businesses paying players. It'd be like having a federal agency enforce salary caps and endorsement deals in the NFL.

My initial thoughts is that pulling scholarship money does not cap earnings as the kid can continue to market themselves more aggressively into the marketplace.

That said, this "$40K and you lose your scholly" clause is seriously *****made. What the **** is the purpose of that? If the purpose is the same as it always is for the NCAA, the goal is to prevent kids from mid-major programs from truly profiting from their likeness.

"The NCAA was so ****ed off at UCLA's recruiting violations that they added two years onto Cleveland State's basketball probation."
~ Jerry Tarkanian
Here’s why this will backfire on them. The typical viewer wants more parity in the sport right? Let’s say the starting Bama O gets endorsements at 100 grand a pop, they won’t be considered scholarship players which would open the door for the team to double up on more blue chip players. Imagine that being the norm for the top 5 programs? How much parity would that bring the sport?

Just to clarify for everyone, the claim that players lose scholarships for making 40k+ is not a thing. After talking with the staff members, it seems like something a person suggested (maybe even as a worst case scenario thing) but is not actually in place anywhere.

Here’s why this will backfire on them. The typical viewer wants more parity in the sport right? Let’s say the starting Bama O gets endorsements at 100 grand a pop, they won’t be considered scholarship players which would open the door for the team to double up on more blue chip players. Imagine that being the norm for the top 5 programs? How much parity would that bring the sport?

That's not accurate. There is still a hard cap of 85 "scholarship" football players. I cannot cite the actual rule but once a player plays in a regular season game that player must be counted towards the 85 player limit, regardless of whether they are a walk-on or scholarship athlete.

Advertisement
Just to clarify for everyone, the claim that players lose scholarships for making 40k+ is not a thing. After talking with the staff members, it seems like something a person suggested (maybe even as a worst case scenario thing) but is not actually in place anywhere.
Thank you for this.

Everyone knows he's a sitter. And probably changes his depends every time. In case of anal leakage

Advertisement
Back