Interview on NIL Miami's Associate AD for Compliance and Assistant AD for Digital Strategy

Canes Legacy

Senior
Premium
We finished up the interview a little earlier, and it will premiere on Youtube at 8 pm tonight. It's really a very informative conversation and I tried to hit on as many questions that you guys provided as I could. I'll bump the thread when it's about to come on.

Last edited:
Advertisement
ask him if there is any truth to the 40k limit, if that constitutes a scholarship athlete becoming a walk on...and if this is true, does this open any scholarships?

ask him if there is any truth to the 40k limit, if that constitutes a scholarship athlete becoming a walk on...and if this is true, does this open any scholarships?
Just so I understand properly: there is a rumor that if a player gets 40k in NIL there is some affect on his scholarship?

Advertisement
The $40K appears to be a top line number. That's a foolish metric IMO. If a kid generates $40K in top line income by selling T shirts and traveling around for private appearances then he loses his scholarship. Yet the kid could very well have $20K in costs, so for $20K in actual profit the kid would lose his scholarship.

Also - How is this going to be verified? Tax returns? Will the NCAA begin reviewing income tax filings of scholarship athletes? Will they assume to have auditing authority? This is why I predict that a federal alphabet agency will eventually be given regulating authority over this new sub-industry.

Gonna be interesting to see this play out.

The $40K appears to be a top line number. That's a foolish metric IMO. If a kid generates $40K in top line income by selling T shirts and traveling around for private appearances then he loses his scholarship. Yet the kid could very well have $20K in costs, so for $20K in actual profit the kid would lose his scholarship.

Also - How is this going to be verified? Tax returns? Will the NCAA begin reviewing income tax filings of scholarship athletes? Will they assume to have auditing authority? This is why I predict that a federal alphabet agency will eventually be given regulating authority over this new sub-industry.

Like I said...this will be the next supreme court case regarding setting income limits,pulling scholarships etc.

And does ANYONE think that this will not be used as a recruiting tool by coaches and boosters just because a piece of paper says it can't.

They will have a players revolt at places like LSU,UGA and Bama from players that aren't willing to take a huge paycut back to 40K..

Advertisement
Hey guys. I'm going to be interviewing Craig Anderson, Miami's Associate AD for Compliance later today. Do you all have any questions that you'd like me to ask him with regards to NIL compensation for athletes?
1) Is there a plan to provide basic financial counseling to athletes?

2) Tell is more about what structure "Brandr" will take for current/former athletes

3) Does Blake James stand or sit when he makes the pee-pee?

Yeah i call BS, seeing as I'm seeing our staff tweeting "recruits take note at who the leader in NIL is" whenever a new NIL deal is made with a Miami player
I tend to think it's BS. But you never know...could be the poison pill the NCAA put in to this.

Whatever the number is, I would think it has to be Income after expenses and taxes.

Advertisement

Please correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t the Supreme Court just rule a school cannot cap the benefits of an athlete? With this cap coming from the NCAA, isn’t that in direct conflict with the decision of the Court?

Whatever the number is, I would think it has to be Income after expenses and taxes.

Agreed. And that brings up the issues I noted above;

1) How will this income be verified?
2) Will the NCAA try to ram through language stating that scholarship athletes must submit annual tax returns?
3) I have to believe the federales get involved sooner rather than later. Just need someone to challenge some element of this in court.

Please correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t the Supreme Court just rule a school cannot cap the benefits of an athlete? With this cap coming from the NCAA, isn’t that in direct conflict with the decision of the Court?

My initial thoughts is that pulling scholarship money does not cap earnings as the kid can continue to market themselves more aggressively into the marketplace.

That said, this "$40K and you lose your scholly" clause is seriously *****made. What the **** is the purpose of that? If the purpose is the same as it always is for the NCAA, the goal is to prevent kids from mid-major programs from truly profiting from their likeness.

"The NCAA was so ****ed off at UCLA's recruiting violations that they added two years onto Cleveland State's basketball probation."
~ Jerry Tarkanian

Advertisement
Hey guys. I'm going to be interviewing Craig Anderson, Miami's Associate AD for Compliance later today. Do you all have any questions that you'd like me to ask him with regards to NIL compensation for athletes?
so no food questions?

I’d like to know if places like Draft Kings or other gambling sites will be off limits or allowed to be used for income..

We did an hour on food questions but the tape was destroyed. Devastating stuff.
share no GIF

Advertisement
Back