Interior DL

CoacheCane

Recruit
This is the best DT rotation we've had since...??

Watching practice highlights and it looks like we finally have the interior, top to bottom, needed to compete in big time games.

Advertisement
We finally have the depth needed at DT to keep guys fresh, no superstar in the group like Willis from 2018, but Simpson will have them playing more fundamentally sound. And let's get Leonard Taylor involved as early & often as possible please and thank you CMD.

Advertisement
The top 4 is definitely a good group, especially when you sprinkle in 56 on pass down situations. Best I have felt about the interior in a while. All veterans who have shown the ability to play at a high level at some point and will have a much better DL coach.

The edge on the other hand ...

I don’t think ‘the edge ‘ is going to be our Achilles . We lose the big play pass rush which was really an individual accolade. Those DEs working around the blocks so fast is what opened up those giant cut back lanes . With guys tying up with blockers on the edge u create more traditional traffic for the RBs to navigate. It isn’t that simple but losing sack numbers doesn’t necessarily mean our run defense suffers as well.

I don’t think it will be our achilles either, but that wasn’t my point.

I said we have 4 experienced proven vets at the interior position, all have flashed ability at some point. A 3rd year, 2 4th years, and a 5th year. We have ONE veteran at the edge spot, and he is a transfer. McCloud is 30 years old, but he has 1 game at DE under his belt. Harvey is a Junior, but this will be his first season with a ton of significant snaps and he isn’t a lock to start opposite Johnson. I did like what I saw from him in the bowl game, but we need more. So again, in comparison to the interior spot, the edge is a ? for me. All I was saying.

We definitely look the part at DT. Can't recall the last time we had a top 4 that were this physically impressive.

Advertisement
1628705738027.png

1628705922854.png

The top 4 is definitely a good group, especially when you sprinkle in 56 on pass down situations. Best I have felt about the interior in a while. All veterans who have shown the ability to play at a high level at some point and will have a much better DL coach.

The edge on the other hand ...
I hear ya

I think the DEs will be fine but we’ve been pretty spoiled

Advertisement
Big Ford look like he finally will use his God given size to dominate... We know what Nesta can do or should do. JHH might be the closest to being able to put up Willis type numbers in my opinion. Miller look like a DE now.

I'm excited about these boys being able to dominate the inside and force runs to the boundary. If we get these boys to do that and get the RB's shoulders to turn, then we might just have a chance against Bama.

Here's my question, can Nes be the guy we thought we were getting as he came to UM? He's flashed here and there, but can he be a consistent force that is more than the occasional rip move that blows up a play?

if he can, well, OK, we have something...

Last edited:
Advertisement
RJ just waived by the Giants. One of many who should've stuck around for a Sr. season.
I'm really hoping that NIL will make kids who leave early for 5th-7th round money, or even UDFA (Bandy) reconsider their situations and stick around for another year. Without a doubt, Miami has been disproportionally affected by this

Former RCT veterans tearing sh*t up in this thread...well done gents.

Advertisement
Back