Interior DL Report On Martin, Willis & Moten

Is fines still a DT? Or as he been moved to OL? Not that he'll ever crack DT 2 deep, just asking.

Advertisement
Look forward to his arrival, but we shouldn't have to rely on True Freshmen at DT.

We have before though with Marcus Forston. As long as both DTs arent freshmen i think we should be fine. But it would be a perfect world if two of our three top DTs decided to stay one more season.
I know it has happened, though Forston isn't exactly an example of success. We were barely over .500 as a team and Forston had less than 20 tackles the entire season. Sure, he was named Freshman All-American, but we're building something bigger on our defense right now. There are some examples of True Frosh guys coming in and dominating. A guy like Dexter Lawrence is the exception; not the rule. He may be the #1 overall pick in a couple seasons.

For the most part, and I did a full research post on this last year (would have to find it), it takes DTs approximately 3 years to make their big leap. It is really good news for us in 2017 because you can expect a leap from Norton and Mcintosh. It's less good news for us in 2018 unless we pickup a transfer, grad Transfer, impact JuCo guy, or exception to the rule.

Of course, if Norton sticks with us for another season, sign me up. Our DE depth chart is bananas. Hoping we can get that kind of rhythm and fortune at DT, too.

I keep seeing people saying that DT is the hardest position to learn and that it takes years to make an impact. Why is that?
Not so much to learn as to be physically prepared to play at a high level. Now, easier to transition in with our current system as opposed to our previous one, but still a position requiring physical maturity. More and more, players can come in and excel at certain positions. DT still lags behind, though there are exceptions, of course.

An injury to one of our top four DTs would be pretty devastating.

Look forward to his arrival, but we shouldn't have to rely on True Freshmen at DT.

We have before though with Marcus Forston. As long as both DTs arent freshmen i think we should be fine. But it would be a perfect world if two of our three top DTs decided to stay one more season.
I know it has happened, though Forston isn't exactly an example of success. We were barely over .500 as a team and Forston had less than 20 tackles the entire season. Sure, he was named Freshman All

I know it has happened, though Forston isn't exactly an example of success. We were barely over .500 as a team and Forston had less than 20 tackles the entire season. Sure, he was named Freshman All-American, but we're building something bigger on our defense right now. There are some examples of True Frosh guys coming in and dominating. A guy like Dexter Lawrence is the exception; not the rule. He may be the #1 overall pick in a couple seasons.

For the most part, and I did a full research post on this last year (would have to find it), it takes DTs approximately 3 years to make their big leap. It is really good news for us in 2017 because you can expect a leap from Norton and Mcintosh. It's less good news for us in 2018 unless we pickup a transfer, grad Transfer, impact JuCo guy, or exception to the rule.

Of course, if Norton sticks with us for another season, sign me up. Our DE depth chart is bananas. Hoping we can get that kind of rhythm and fortune at DT, too.

I keep seeing people saying that DT is the hardest position to learn and that it takes years to make an impact. Why is that?
Not so much to learn as to be physically prepared to play at a high level. Now, easier to transition in with our current system as opposed to our previous one, but still a position requiring physical maturity. More and more, players can come in and excel at certain positions. DT still lags behind, though there are exceptions, of course.

I am wondering with the system we have of an attacking DL is that the emphasis is to get guys who have a knack of getting in the backfield and disrupting regardless of position, which is why we are stacking at the DE position more than the DT position.

With our strength and conditioning program we can develop quick DE's into strong DT's without so much losing the quickness. So getting pure DTs may not be a big priority unless a phenom with the total package happens to come along every now and then.

Advertisement

I am wondering with the system we have of an attacking DL is that the emphasis is to get guys who have a knack of getting in the backfield and disrupting regardless of position, which is why we are stacking at the DE position more than the DT position.

With our strength and conditioning program we can develop quick DE's into strong DT's without so much losing the quickness. So getting pure DTs may not be a big priority unless a phenom with the total package happens to come along every now and then.

This is why I'd like to see DJack move to DT alongside Bethel.

**** can never stay between the lines on here LOL. I asked for a report on three interior defense of Linemen and I get more stories about Marcus Forston than the guys I asked about. I hope Marcus plays better the second time around

**** can never stay between the lines on here LOL. I asked for a report on three interior defense of Linemen and I get more stories about Marcus Forston than the guys I asked about. I hope Marcus plays better the second time around

Problem is you're asking for reports from a bunch of guys who haven't seen anything.

Is fines still a DT? Or as he been moved to OL? Not that he'll ever crack DT 2 deep, just asking.

Eh, I wouldn't be so surprised if he was needed as NT next year if Norton leaves, or even if he doesn't since Moten is gone. We're fine at the 3Tech spot, but the 1tech spot isn't as good and I could see Fines getting a decent amount of snaps next season. For that reason its smart to keep him at DT, especially since he's not going to be beating any OL out this yr anyways.

Advertisement

I think it's time to get onboard with the idea that nobody wants to tell you what they know.

Unless it's about Forston, then we'll let you in on it.

I'm not so bullish on all three DTs leaving early. I mean, Willis can't crack the starting lineup in college but he's going to in the NFL?

Problem is you're asking for reports from a bunch of guys who haven't seen anything.

There are guys on here who have seen some practice segments. I just wanted someone with eyes on them to fill us in on three important pieces to our DL that haven't been reported on in any degree of depth. Many of us are skeptical about Ty Martin, his size and ability, on a much improved defense. What great news it would be to hear he's "earning" playing time. That Moten is finally living up to his potential. Willis the beast we thought he was. Side Bar- Patchan can't be held back. Get your boy on it Chise! Remember "D wins Titles"

Advertisement
I'm not so bullish on all three DTs leaving early. I mean, Willis can't crack the starting lineup in college but he's going to in the NFL?

You're being logical. 20 year-olds frequently aren't logical.

Yes, Willis will leave no matter what. It is a 5 star thing. Remember Forston? Kids are so ready to get to the NFL instead of thinking about having a career in the NFL.

Until we see a scrimmage I would not put a lot of stock into practices. The OL's are working on different rotations and they are working on new plays and working on blocking different looks. Some guys will go in and get a sack untouched. Does that mean they are dominating or did some Freshman blow his assignment?

As for the question about 3 years for a DT. It is a growth detail for the guys in the trenches. Men do not stop growing traditionally until 22. Even then you see Pros continue to get stronger. An 18 year old guy is just not the same as a 21 year old when it comes to the Gross Motor strength needed in the trenches. A WR/DB is still growing too but he relies on the fine motor skills like footwork and strait speed. Either you have that naturally or you do not. Your not going to be physically manhandled on the outside skill positions. At the DT position 21 year old men or a Donaldson are leaning on you for 65 plays. You have to have the Gross Motor muscles: Butt, Thighs, Chest that are still growing into your 20's to be at max or you get dominated. Then you add technique and experience into the mix and you have another level of ability to tap into. But no matter the technique, if you do not have the raw strength and size and power your not going to be dominate over 65 plays.

I expect to see a grad transfer at DT next year.

JUCO seems an obvious answer but legit JUCO DTs and Miami just don't mix. Sure this scheme plays into a DT looking at the NFL, but those guys usually end up in the SEC because Richt will probably ask them to actually attend school and make an effort in the classroom.

Advertisement
Well we all saw how well leaving early went for Forsten. The NFL doesn't care that you were good in high school. If you can't produce in college, you aren't doing **** in the pros

JUCO seems an obvious answer but legit JUCO DTs and Miami just don't mix. Sure this scheme plays into a DT looking at the NFL, but those guys usually end up in the SEC because Richt will probably ask them to actually attend school and make an effort in the classroom.
We've done well with jucos historically. The past couple staffs didn't do as well but that may well have been because we didn't offer them enough stability and opportunity, also. As far as attending class, it's not a different issue for HS kids. If anything jucos should be more mature. Cortez Kennedy was a juco. Jerome McDougle. Bryant McKinnie.

We've done well with jucos historically. The past couple staffs didn't do as well but that may well have been because we didn't offer them enough stability and opportunity, also. As far as attending class, it's not a different issue for HS kids. If anything jucos should be more mature. Cortez Kennedy was a juco. Jerome McDougle. Bryant McKinnie.
I agree with you in general. Seems there's been a culture change as far as these types go the past 10 years or so. We gotta get in there and take some of that back.

This seemingly automatic funnel to the SEC needs to be cut off. Richt is the type that could change it.

Advertisement
Back