Interesting view of Miami football

I think there has to be a fine line with letting players come back who spurned you to begin with. If you're too liberal with it, it might actually push more players away coming out of high school if they're on the fence and know they can always come back in a year or two.

I think it's pretty easy to enforce but just something to stay on top of.
Case by case my brother. These are 17, 18 year old kids making major decisions for the first time in their lives. Some may not handle it well in the beginning, but that's all about maturity and learning from your mistakes. Many of these kids are being lied to from these big time coaches and negative recruiting. If they can ball and they want to play, and make this team better, then welcome to the U.

Advertisement
I think the Image and licensing will be more of a benefit keeping players wanting to jump ship early.

The times of CIS arguments of whether a RB or DT is leaving after his Junior year could be behind us if those types of players can make money in College and still have a college football lifestyle

Last edited:
We should have had a pipeline of 2 Juco/prep/1AA kids every year even back in the day. Now with the portal and no sitting, that number should be 3-4. But I do think that if you take more than 15-20% of the class as transfers, you have cultural issues. Plus the local HS talent is just too good to pass up.
20-21 high school kids and 4-5 starting or heavy rotation players in the portal, depending on the needs in a given year, seems like a range.

Swear someone on this site had this exact same take like two years ago. Think he included GT and USC too.

Advertisement
Swear someone on this site had this exact same take like two years ago. Think he included GT and USC too.
Edited for you...

F100A0BD-AD44-4288-A8E3-FB62F6B3A850.gif

I put it like this the Tide is turning and its not Alabama. If Miami starts earning signature wins, local high school recruits will lineup to play here and you will once again be able to cherry pick top recruits nationally as we did 20 years ago. The Portal should also be an asset for not just Miami but even schools like FAU who is situated in South Florida. Image and likeness will drastically change the heavyweights champions like Clemson, Bama, and the Buckeyes. Somehow I believe the NCAA want let that happen.

I think this year is going to be a big year here in terms of direction of the program.Manny has decided that he will run the defense so that defense better not come close to what Baker put out there.

With all the good Manny has done with recruiting,the portal,coaches etc. this defensive performance will go a long way if how this program goes forward.

Every recruit out there can see the upward direction of the program but if we go out and give up 700 yds to somebody on nat’l TV again or get blown out by 40-45 by Bama that first game a lot of the good that’s been done will look like the same old same old Miami and undo a lot of that good.

Manny has put his *** on the hot seat taking over the D.We don’t need to beat Bama that first game ( even though if King comes back I think we have at least a punchers chance ) but we do need to look at least competitive.Do that and win the games we should like we should and that bullet that is the Miami program will continue upwards but if this D looks anything like last year when it played teams with a pulse that bullet will be a blank anc the clock will start ticking towards Replacing Mr Diaz..

I think there has to be a fine line with letting players come back who spurned you to begin with. If you're too liberal with it, it might actually push more players away coming out of high school if they're on the fence and know they can always come back in a year or two.

I think it's pretty easy to enforce but just something to stay on top of.
If a kid is threatened by comp out of HS in the long run I’m not sure u want them to begin with. Your always looking to bring in equal or better talent

Advertisement
Dale Miami!

hope this guy has a clue re. NIL.
My sense/guess is that, while we do have an advantage for a star player (King or Phillips or even Borregeals), the Bamas will filter $$ across the roster via local businesses.
Bama can sell jerseys nation wide....they are a big *** brand regardless they are in hickville.

I want to believe. Really. This off-season feels different, I admit. Hopefully Manny won't make me splash my beer and sling my bbq ribs at the tv this year. I don't enjoy doing that.

The basic theory sounds good but yet to be proved. A great coaching staff? Strictly opinion and totally not proved yet. Staff looks better on paper than last year which was a long ways from being great. Hope we are on track to getting better but even if coaching staff proves itself as being really good I think we are 2 more recruiting cycles away from being a cfp contender.
C'mon man we said "two more recruiting cycles" 5 years ago, 10 years ago, 15 years ago. Outstanding HC's make the biggest difference long-term.

The transfer portal is going to be a player, for sure; and to Manny’s credit, albeit I didn’t give him credit initially, did get a head of the game. But, I’m not sure if the portal is the way to go. W/o rehashing what I’ve already spoke upon, regardless of what was said here, system fit matters in the portal & recruiting. Guys like Baker, Murray, and Hurts benefited b/c they transferred & was tutored under a great QB/HC. King benefited by being coached under Lashlee; if Enos was still here, results would’ve been different.

Imo, u gotta do much more due diligence w/ The Portal than HS recruiting. What’s the reason “why” that guy is in the portal?

Last edited:
Advertisement
The transfer portal is going to be a player, for sure; and to Manny’s credit, albeit I didn’t give him credit initially, did get a head of the game. But, I’m not sure if the portal is the way to go. W/o rehashing what I’ve already spoke upon, regardless of what was said here, system fit matters in the portal & recruiting. Guys like Baker, Murray, and Hurts benefited b/c they transferred & was tutored under a great QB/HC. King benefited by being coached under Lashlee; if Enos was still here, results would’ve been different.

Imo, u gotta do much more due diligence w/ The Portal than HS recruiting. What’s the reason “why” that guy is in the portal?

That’s why not sold on Rambo

Then again he’s still an upgrade over Pope and Wiggins

Advertisement
We need the portal, and I think it's a good thing. Even when we hopefully get our roster right, I don't see a reason why we can't reserve 3 spots a year for good portal additions. If you can promise me an Adrian Colbert (not portal but a helluva addition), Jarrid Williams, D'Eriq King, Borregales, Bolden, Jaelen Phillips type talent each year, then **** yeah. Do it without question. Otherwise and if it's about Nnoruka, Asa Martin, Tommy Kennedy then pass. Not worth it. We should not be scrounging for that type of talent unless we are doing something very very wrong.

Advertisement
Back