Interesting view of Miami football

Advertisement
I think Tyrique Stevenson coming back home was HUGE for what he is talking about.

He went to UGA, didn’t like his situation, came back home.

Miami has star power now when you thank about what D’eriq King did, Tyrique transferring, Leonard and James signing.

As far as the portal Manny has been ahead of the game.

King
Roche
Phillips
Bolden
Stevenson
Rambo
Borregales
Johnson

Nice find.

All of those things have been discussed on this forum and I am sure Manny has considered. Manny strikes me to be a better GM than a Head Coach and that's why he is the King of the off-season. However, he needs to turn those pyrrhic victories into wins when they matter most if he wants to remain at Miami for the long term.

Advertisement
The basic theory sounds good but yet to be proved. A great coaching staff? Strictly opinion and totally not proved yet. Staff looks better on paper than last year which was a long ways from being great. Hope we are on track to getting better but even if coaching staff proves itself as being really good I think we are 2 more recruiting cycles away from being a cfp contender.

Nice find.

All of those things have been discussed on this forum and I am sure Manny has considered. Manny strikes me to be a better GM than a Head Coach and that's why he is the King of the off-season. However, he needs to turn those pyrrhic victories into wins when they matter most if he wants to remain at Miami for the long term.

Upvoted or use of the word “pyrrhic”, although I don’t necessarily agree that the off-season victories were pyrrhic.
👍🏼

I think there has to be a fine line with letting players come back who spurned you to begin with. If you're too liberal with it, it might actually push more players away coming out of high school if they're on the fence and know they can always come back in a year or two.

I think it's pretty easy to enforce but just something to stay on top of.

Without the portal we would have been a disaster. It’s fixed a great deal of holes we’ve already had. Mainly QB, offensive tackle, and the kicking game.
For all the flake Manny gets, he has good long term planning ideas and is typically ahead of the curve when it comes to managing the players/program. I think sometimes he gets ahead of himself, thinking long term too often and forgetting near term or present, but to each their own right. I just want the 'Canes to win.

Advertisement
He left out the massive, can't understate this, impact COVID has had and will have moving forward!

played with 70 kids in 2020, 7-8 were walkons that got ships. 2021, likely over 90 (still 7-8 walkon to ships). Wait until the '22 class signs and top teams struggle to sign classes over 15-20. Teams can play with 85+ 2020 seniors (we have 6 returning). Thus, a Bama could be over 100 and needing to get to 60 to sign 25 IS NOT happening easily. 40 elite kids aren't going to up and leave transfer without helping teams like Miami pick-up elite kids either via the Transfer portal OR via the '22 class.

Miami needs to keep recruiting like they did last year...and better if any of that is to be true. Our recruiting over the past 4 classes is the makeup of a Top 25 team, not Top 10 team...need to keep recruiting and then ultimately coaching up those players over the next 2, 3, 4 seasons if you're expecting what OP is expecting.

Advertisement
I think Tyrique Stevenson coming back home was HUGE for what he is talking about.

He went to UGA, didn’t like his situation, came back home.

Miami has star power now when you thank about what D’eriq King did, Tyrique transferring, Leonard and James signing.

As far as the portal Manny has been ahead of the game.

King
Roche
Phillips
Bolden
Stevenson
Rambo
Borregales
Johnson
Also when kids we battle Georgia for TS he will say don't go I tried it they lie. We just need a kid like that to transfer from bama back here and we are set.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Dale Miami!

hope this guy has a clue re. NIL.
My sense/guess is that, while we do have an advantage for a star player (King or Phillips or even Borregeals), the Bamas will filter $$ across the roster via local businesses.

Someone on the board mentioned that we should take high school classes that are 18-20 in size each year and leave the balance for the portal.

Someone on the board mentioned that we should take high school classes that are 18-20 in size each year and leave the balance for the portal.

We should have had a pipeline of 2 Juco/prep/1AA kids every year even back in the day. Now with the portal and no sitting, that number should be 3-4. But I do think that if you take more than 15-20% of the class as transfers, you have cultural issues. Plus the local HS talent is just too good to pass up.

Nice find.

Hopefully this coaching staff can make up for what he lacks in other areas

Advertisement
Back