Interesting Topic on CIS podcast today 2027 DL..

gacaneaddict

Junior
Joined
Dec 12, 2012
Messages
7,259
This was brought up, and it highlighted to me what HUGE question mark the 2027 DL could be depending on draft defections.

We obviously lose Moten and Wilson.

DMoney hypothetically mentioned the outlook if we lose Blount, Scott, and Lightfoot.

NOW, I do not think any of those 3 are playing right now as a 1st round pick. Obviously Lightfoot and Blount are dealing with some injuries at the moment.

D seemed to think Blount could be most likely to return.

I personally don't think Scott is playing like a first rounder right now, solid, but not nearly what I think is his full potential. We could pay him 3-4 Million to come back, and go Moten route, and then try to develop him into a top 15-20 pick in first round.

Lightfoot is still fairly skinny, and obviously doesn't have a ton of snaps yet for a team to invest a ton into a 3rd year slightly built player. Miami could sink money into him to come back, continue to develop into a top 10-20 type pick.

Blount I think is interesting in that I think he is a NFL player all day, but he is going to be a 3T in NFL? He needs some more weight if so. Or he can stay the same, and come back to become a more well rounded bigger DE with a better array of pass rushing moves.

When you look at it, the 2025 recruiting class could be the reason this position could be little dicey. Lowe is a freak talent, but had the other issues. Simpson was a great eval, and an athletic big DT that is going to be a good one. He currently already has 3 sacks and 3 TFL for Missouri as a true sophomore DT.

So not talking about those above DL.

Herbert Scroggins
Booker Pickett
DeAnthony Lafayette
Asharri Charles
Jaiden Bryant
Jayvon Dawson

Jarquez Carter
Keona Davis
Logan Nagle
Keshawn Stancil
Issac Chukwurah
Frederic Sainteous
Demarco Jenkins

Thoughts? Could we see a big ticket DE and DT from portal depending on who comes back?
 
Lightfoot is not going anywhere. He still needs to put good weight on. And he will be paid handsomely to do it.
 
Lightfoot, Scott, and Blount will all return. I've liked what I have seen from Carter and Davis so far. Could see a DL of Lightfoot, Blount, Scott, Carter to open in Vegas.
 
Bye weeks are only second best to the offseason.


Preach
We have people saying Lightfoot is a 1st round lock, and others saying he is coming back lol. Nobody knows ANYTHING when it comes to that because the kids don’t even know. We have A LOT of ball left, and as @bobbydigius mentioned earlier, if they all leave then it probably means they performed well and we went pretty ******* far and would be an even more attractive home for portal options.

Also, for people saying Lightfoot needs to gain weight before he leaves…
He is in Y3 and starting, he is what he is. He can “put on weight” and bulk up for combine purposes, but he will never be some 250+ pound monster. He is going to live in, and play/function best in that 240 neighborhood that he is currently in and have very good pound for pound functional strength. He isn’t going to pack on a ton of weight going from Y3 to Y4. Again, he is what he is. Let’s just sit back and watch what happens over these next (hopefully) 8+ games.

It def is something to watch. I like Pickett, I like Scroggins, like the little bit I’ve seen from Carter - but on a high end DL group, those guys are all rotational guys especially the latter two IMO. We need more high end guys, and must be more consistent signing them. This is why I’ve maintained Folorunsho should be our #1 flip target because those body types with that athleticism and overall ceiling are extremely difficult and costly to attain if you don’t get them out of HS. This is in addition to Jacobs, we need freaks up front and as many as possible. That Clemson game probably looks a lot different without Damon Wilson once Lightfoot went out.

Anyway, let’s revisit this in December.
 
I don't think any of the guys you mention have the resume yet to leave early.... get another year of really good NIL and turn into 1st rounders
 
Back
Top