Interesting new 3-2-6 defense

You would think Gurvan would be the traditional safety here with his coverage abilities and carter would be in the box where he was really good last year. Doesn't really make sense.

And yeah....Knowles is knowles, dont want to keep piling on.

Advertisement
I just hope you all ain’t shocked when Knowles sees meaningful snaps this year. I expect, ultimately, all the safeties to see plenty of burn this year except MAYBE Keontra but I keep seeing posters trying to rationalize it like “well he’s(Knowles) out there but during the game it’ll be Smith, Carter, Bolden etc.” And while this may be the case at times, if you think Knowles is seeing time with the first unit in fall camp to then turn around and play zero snaps during the season, well then you just haven’t been paying attention. Banda clearly likes him.

Hope he can hold it down when he’s called upon because he will be. Whether y’all like it or not...

Even front dime package is normally 4-1-6. But Diaz used this 3-2-6 in obvious passing situations quite a bit last year. Gerald Willis would be the only "down" player lined up right over center, everyone else would be in a stand up position with tons of pre snap movement and exotic blitz looks. I'm a big fan because it offers the chance to rush or drop as many guys as you want. You can drop linemen and bring linebackers. You can drop linebackers and bring a DB. You can drop everyone or blitz everyone.

Advertisement
I just hope you all ain’t shocked when Knowles sees meaningful snaps this year. I expect, ultimately, all the safeties to see plenty of burn this year except MAYBE Keontra but I keep seeing posters trying to rationalize it like “well he’s(Knowles) out there but during the game it’ll be Smith, Carter, Bolden etc.” And while this may be the case at times, if you think Knowles is seeing time with the first unit in fall camp to then turn around and play zero snaps during the season, well then you just haven’t been paying attention. Banda clearly likes him.

Hope he can hold it down when he’s called upon because he will be. Whether y’all like it or not...

Well said. Banda likes him & nothing is going to change his mind. Banda has seen him play in important games & if he's still giving him 1st team reps this close to the opener its for a reason.

Das it mane. Would you typically have a cover 1 deep safety to protect in this scheme? If so, I was thinking more like 3-2-6 alignment with the LBs being Shaq and Romeo and Carter was the striker (he played in the box quite a bit last year, blitzed, etc) and the other 4 DBs being: Ivey/Bandy/Blades as covers and then DSmith roaming the middle and then Bubba overtop everyone.
You can run a lot of different coverage through this alignment.

Probably a Tite front. ISU loves it. Teams are running it more and more. 303 on the DL, 2 ILBs, 6 guys out rolling through coverages and blitzes.

Advertisement
I guess it would be good every once in awhile. Just a change of look might produce a negative offensive play. However, our front 4 has the potential to be nasty no need to take our strength off the field. Ill take consistent pressure over occasional confusion anyday.

Knowles barely saw the field last season when there was NO depth at safety. Now there's more depth and you guys think he's actually going to get a lot of playing time?

I'd expect that personnel grouping with Amari Carter (or Finley) and Hall alternating as heavy blitzers and Derrick Smith in place of Knowles. The lineup would look closer to this:

DE Hill (standing up)
DE Rousseau (standing up)
DE Garvin (standing up)
LB Pinckney
LB Shaq
DB Bandy
DB Blades
DB Ivey
DB Finley/Carter
DB Smith
DB Hall

You can blitz a LB and a S and still drop 6. Nothing new here. Basically, madness on 3rd and 10+. This is what I hope we keep Franks in on 08/24. Please.
Throw in the fact all three DEs you listed are athletic enough to drop into coverage... You can really disguise a lot.

Advertisement
Dime 3-2-6 is a nice way to bring pressures and disguise it. You also have 6 db’s for coverage , but obviously you can be exposed versus the run.
Question here, I don't know much so this is out of sincerity. Since we have a good amount of guys in that striker/safety mold that are 6ft plus and over 200lbs does that help some against the run?

Question here, I don't know much so this is out of sincerity. Since we have a good amount of guys in that striker/safety mold that are 6ft plus and over 200lbs does that help some against the run?

I mean you have options , you can use db’s close to the line , almost a 3-4 alignment but with db’s. You can also drop a safety into the box with a single high safety.

It won’t be used except in majority long yardage situations or 4-5 wr sets It’s not a base defense , just another look to give the O. With lots of options with coverages and alignments.

Just another way to get the talented safeties we have on the field.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Knowles barely saw the field last season when there was NO depth at safety. Now there's more depth and you guys think he's actually going to get a lot of playing time?

Two reasons you see a guy like Knowles getting reps with the 1s in practice.

1) He works extremely hard to overcome that he is not as athletic as the other safeties so he is compensating by more watching film and is better prepared than the others

2) the S&C program is paying off and he's become faster (not unheard of).

I was looking at his testing numbers:

4.81 40, maybe he shaved it down to 4.71. That might get him on the field in some situations.

But that shuttle time. Good God almighty. 5.41.

clint_ew.gif

Absolutely. The modern game is definitely played more in open space than the past but you still have to be big/strong enough to take on blockers and fight through traffic in the run game. That's the advantage to the 4-2-5 versus the traditional nickle.

Miami has never had a problem playing <220 lb linebackers in the past (except under Al "fatten them up" Golden) so transitioning to a striker in the ~210lb range was a no brainer.

Advertisement
Back