Interesting Kirby Smart comment on recruiting QBs

sfcane2

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
Kirby said it’s irrelevant recruiting high school quarterbacks because there are so many in the portal. Sort of echoes what DMoney said about NIL budgets- focus on the trenches because they’re hard to find in the portal and look at QBs in the portal. The bust rate on HS QBs is so high.

Also said they’ve been so low in terms of WRs and DBs his whole 7 years. Said it’s hard to have the depth there.

One thing about Georgia that’s a little unique is they really do their own evaluation. They’ve recruited 16 3 stars in three years and 7 of them start.

Advertisement
This could get good for the HS is the only way to recruit and Georgia doesn’t use the portal fight….

F792277B-1915-41D5-A811-077DD8B915F1.gif

Thats why im not tripping as much as others. The Portal allows you to fill the gaps u dont fill in recruiting. The main positions u need to recruit are trenches and front 7. I think they really believe in TVD and eventually Jacurri. Jake is a wait and see. I think Gattis teaching has hindered all the QBs. He needs to go.

dude has a walk on QB that walks on water. let me say this - when we have a line that is equal to georgia we are going to have QBs look like Bennett.
And their go-to WR IS an undersized 3 star slot type. Sure they have the 2 headed monster at TE but they don’t have the crazy impressive skill guys at the WR position. Could even argue their RBs are down compare to last few years. Doesn’t matter still on top.

Advertisement
Thats why im not tripping as much as others. The Portal allows you to fill the gaps u dont fill in recruiting. The main positions u need to recruit are trenches and front 7. I think they really believe in TVD and eventually Jacurri. Jake is a wait and see. I think Gattis teaching has hindered all the QBs. He needs to go.
I agree that it should fill in gaps but the foundation should be high school.

FSU has flipped it because their head coach can’t recruit high school kids. That model isn’t sustainable and it will eventually bite them.

Advertisement
Kirby said it’s irrelevant recruiting high school quarterbacks because there are so many in the portal. Sort of echoes what DMoney said about NIL budgets- focus on the trenches because they’re hard to find in the portal and look at QBs in the portal. The bust rate on HS QBs is so high.

Also said they’ve been so low in terms of WRs and DBs his whole 7 years. Said it’s hard to have the depth there.

One thing about Georgia that’s a little unique is they really do their own evaluation. They’ve recruited 16 3 stars in three years and 7 of them start.

As always. these guys talk out of both sides of their mouths. He will go all out for a 5 star recruit next year and might even sign 2 of them.

dude has a walk on QB that walks on water. let me say this - when we have a line that is equal to georgia we are going to have QBs look like Bennett.
This is why, at least IMO, why UGA's strategy works. They have arguable the best line on both sides, so of course you don't need a 5-star QB to be highly successful. If you have NIL money to throw around, as has been said in this thread, throw it towards the trenches. We did great on the OL this cycle, and at EDGE on the DL. We'll see if we can get away with not getting high numbers at DT for this cycle.

And their go-to WR IS an undersized 3 star slot type. Sure they have the 2 headed monster at TE but they don’t have the crazy impressive skill guys at the WR position. Could even argue their RBs are down compare to last few years. Doesn’t matter still on top.
It could be argued that Georgia and Bama are case in point that if you stock your DL and OL with enough dominant players and depth you can mask a ton of deficit across the other levels of your O&D
I believe especially true on offense.

Advertisement
All about the trenches with them

Advertisement

100%.

If you have an elite OL unit, you can win championships with quality, but not elite, players at every other O position.

Absolutely Big Manny's philosophy as well.

If five star qbs keep going to USC or whatever same school year after year when only one can start, then yea, there will be plenty of portal options.

Advertisement
Back