Interesting issue/non issue

GhostRecon_Cane

When the U is on, there is nothing else like it.
So in light of the recent Brieon Fuller developments I was reminded of a post I saw years ago on Miami Scout (2006). The poster alluded to a coming exodus of African American families from the inner city Miami area to Atlanta, Ga. He said families in Carol city, Liberty city and Overtown were slowly being forced out due to gentrification. He predicted cities like Atalanta would reap the benefits of this issue. Is Fuller from inner city Miami ? I love my canes and I'm probably paranoid but I'm looking into the future and anything that threatens our home grown talent superiority I become concerned about. I keep up with D. Jackson and his community outreach programs and he has been a recent voice against this issue. Has anyone else noticed this possible issue?
Again maybe i am reading too much into it.

Advertisement
Anyone leaving Miami to go to Atlanta for a better life /better safety/ etc is crazy. Everything in between is better

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Anyone leaving Miami to go to Atlanta for a better life /better safety/ etc is crazy. Everything in between is better

I made that move. I politely have to disagree with what you said. Much lower cost of living, an absurd number of Fortune 500 companies, similar pay, mild weather, other than certain areas, much safer city.

I made that move. I politely have to disagree with what you said. Much lower cost of living, an absurd number of Fortune 500 companies, similar pay, mild weather, other than certain areas, much safer city.

Its so incredibly absurd when people act like living is the end all. For alot of people all it is high rent, lots of traffic, and crappy folks. And the ones that usually go around saying that its stupid to want to live any place else, are the same ones who never have been any place else.

Atlanta has way more opportunities for African American individuals, than Most places in the US

Advertisement

Hows the beaches :nice:

I can't think of one example of a family of a good Miami area HS recruit moving to Atlanta.

Advertisement
It would take an epic number of Black people leaving Miami-Dade to impact the recruiting. Important to note that an even smaller percentage of those that do leave for any place would have a recruitable athlete in the family. Then an even more minute possibility that recruit would be Cane caliber. Gentrification is inevitable since developers have few options between the Everglades and the Atlantic. When the exodus from the inner city to the suburbs occurred, many of the poorer communities, were ideally situated near established entertainment areas, infrastructure and expressways. If any of us were developers, what better area to snatch than Overtown? Imagine what a Condo, shopping, restaurant and entertainment development would be worth. Close to everything that matters $$$.

Advertisement
Advertisement
So in light of the recent Brieon Fuller developments I was reminded of a post I saw years ago on Miami Scout (2006). The poster alluded to a coming exodus of African American families from the inner city Miami area to Atlanta, Ga. He said families in Carol city, Liberty city and Overtown were slowly being forced out due to gentrification. He predicted cities like Atalanta would reap the benefits of this issue. Is Fuller from inner city Miami ? I love my canes and I'm probably paranoid but I'm looking into the future and anything that threatens our home grown talent superiority I become concerned about. I keep up with D. Jackson and his community outreach programs and he has been a recent voice against this issue. Has anyone else noticed this possible issue?
Again maybe i am reading too much into it.

This is oa pipe dream. It isn't happening.

Sure people move from Miami to Atlanta. People also move from Atlanta to Miami and other places in Florida.

This thread is just an opportunity for ATL homos to show their pride.

Fact is, the number of great players that come out of Miami/Broward/PB absolutely dwarfs the good players coming out of ATL and the surrounding areas and it's not even close.

Nice try, OP.

What a strange thread..

Before considering the systemic and social factors that drive people out of Miami, we're thinking about the repercussions on the recruiting base..

People should endure marginalization via gentrification, mass incarceration, and faux diversity initiatives co-opted by immigrants or people for whom english is a second language; and be consistently looked down on, caricatured or objectified for physical traits or abilities, while enjoying limited opportunities for up-ward societal mobility; all for the sake of someone's viewing pleasure on a Saturday afternoon?

Then the folk posting who can't fathom why anyone with good sense would want to leave all of this?

People always wonder why conversations eventually center on race but I can't think of a more glaring example of how differently people process the world we live in. I suppose it all just goes to show how out of touch people can be.

Last edited:
What a strange thread..

Before considering the systemic and social factors that drive people out of Miami, we're thinking about the repercussions on the recruiting base..

People should endure marginalization via gentrification, mass incarceration, and faux diversity initiatives co-opted by immigrants or people for whom english is a second language; and be consistently looked down on, caricatured or objectified for physical traits or abilities, while enjoying limited opportunities for up-ward societal mobility; all for the sake of someone's viewing pleasure on a Saturday afternoon?

Then the folk posting who can't fathom why anyone with good sense would want to leave all of this?

People always wonder why conversations eventually center on race but I can't think of a more glaring example of how differently people process the world we live in. I suppose it all just goes to show how out of touch people can be.

Most of these issues, like gentrification, can be found everywhere. It's not limited to Miami.That said, economically, Miami can be an expensive place to live. You get much more for your money in many other places.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back