Interesting issue/non issue

Advertisement
Is GA is African American friendly now, or is it just relegated to Atlanta? I'm just curious because I found the state to be extremely prejudiced in the late 80's.

So in light of the recent Brieon Fuller developments I was reminded of a post I saw years ago on Miami Scout (2006). The poster alluded to a coming exodus of African American families from the inner city Miami area to Atlanta, Ga. He said families in Carol city, Liberty city and Overtown were slowly being forced out due to gentrification. He predicted cities like Atalanta would reap the benefits of this issue. Is Fuller from inner city Miami ? I love my canes and I'm probably paranoid but I'm looking into the future and anything that threatens our home grown talent superiority I become concerned about. I keep up with D. Jackson and his community outreach programs and he has been a recent voice against this issue. Has anyone else noticed this possible issue?
Again maybe i am reading too much into it.

This is oa pipe dream. It isn't happening.

Sure people move from Miami to Atlanta. People also move from Atlanta to Miami and other places in Florida.

This thread is just an opportunity for ATL homos to show their pride.

Fact is, the number of great players that come out of Miami/Broward/PB absolutely dwarfs the good players coming out of ATL and the surrounding areas and it's not even close.

Nice try, OP.
Nice try?
Ummmmmm okay? I'm not from a Atlanta....
I said it was going to be not your ordinary thread from the jump. It was an issue bought up over a decade ago and I wanted to see if it was more of a theory than reality. Thanks for playing .

So in light of the recent Brieon Fuller developments I was reminded of a post I saw years ago on Miami Scout (2006). The poster alluded to a coming exodus of African American families from the inner city Miami area to Atlanta, Ga. He said families in Carol city, Liberty city and Overtown were slowly being forced out due to gentrification. He predicted cities like Atalanta would reap the benefits of this issue. Is Fuller from inner city Miami ? I love my canes and I'm probably paranoid but I'm looking into the future and anything that threatens our home grown talent superiority I become concerned about. I keep up with D. Jackson and his community outreach programs and he has been a recent voice against this issue. Has anyone else noticed this possible issue?
Again maybe i am reading too much into it.

This is oa pipe dream. It isn't happening.

Sure people move from Miami to Atlanta. People also move from Atlanta to Miami and other places in Florida.

This thread is just an opportunity for ATL homos to show their pride.

Fact is, the number of great players that come out of Miami/Broward/PB absolutely dwarfs the good players coming out of ATL and the surrounding areas and it's not even close.

Nice try, OP.
Nice try?
Ummmmmm okay? I'm not from a Atlanta....
I said it was going to be not your ordinary thread from the jump. It was an issue bought up over a decade ago and I wanted to see if it was more of a theory than reality. Thanks for playing .

If it was reality, there would be some hard data, a newspaper article, anything to show there was some kind of migration trend. There isn't.

Go to a high school game, or high school graduation, or check the high school numbers, in any of the areas mentioned and you'll see that there's no major population outflux. It's not rocket science.

Gentrification is hardly limited to Miami. It's happening everywhere people desire to live. There's only so much real estate available in popular metro communities, developers are dying to push out low income properties in favor of chic, new expensive ones.

As for a mass exodus of inner city folks, it's an interesting topic but there's no real evidence of any such thing happening. Yet.

Advertisement
What a strange thread..

Before considering the systemic and social factors that drive people out of Miami, we're thinking about the repercussions on the recruiting base..

People should endure marginalization via gentrification, mass incarceration, and faux diversity initiatives co-opted by immigrants or people for whom english is a second language; and be consistently looked down on, caricatured or objectified for physical traits or abilities, while enjoying limited opportunities for up-ward societal mobility; all for the sake of someone's viewing pleasure on a Saturday afternoon?

Then the folk posting who can't fathom why anyone with good sense would want to leave all of this?

People always wonder why conversations eventually center on race but I can't think of a more glaring example of how differently people process the world we live in. I suppose it all just goes to show how out of touch people can be.

Most of these issues, like gentrification, can be found everywhere. It's not limited to Miami.That said, economically, Miami can be an expensive place to live. You get much more for your money in many other places.

You just don't get it...

1. Gentrification in Brooklyn & Harlem makes multi-millionaires out of black folk that bought property for pennies on the dollar in the 70s and 80s. No such phenomena in Miami. So stating gentrification "can be found everywhere" belies the fact that Miami uniquely stifles up-ward mobility.

2. Alabama is even cheaper than ATL, but you don't see black folk flocking there.

This is about more than socioeconomics, and i'll just leave it at that because based on your post I don't think you'd understand.

Last edited:
Gentrification is hardly limited to Miami. It's happening everywhere people desire to live. There's only so much real estate available in popular metro communities, developers are dying to push out low income properties in favor of chic, new expensive ones.

As for a mass exodus of inner city folks, it's an interesting topic but there's no real evidence of any such thing happening. Yet.

see above..

What a strange thread..

Before considering the systemic and social factors that drive people out of Miami, we're thinking about the repercussions on the recruiting base..

People should endure marginalization via gentrification, mass incarceration, and faux diversity initiatives co-opted by immigrants or people for whom english is a second language; and be consistently looked down on, caricatured or objectified for physical traits or abilities, while enjoying limited opportunities for up-ward societal mobility; all for the sake of someone's viewing pleasure on a Saturday afternoon?

Then the folk posting who can't fathom why anyone with good sense would want to leave all of this?

People always wonder why conversations eventually center on race but I can't think of a more glaring example of how differently people process the world we live in. I suppose it all just goes to show how out of touch people can be.

Most of these issues, like gentrification, can be found everywhere. It's not limited to Miami.That said, economically, Miami can be an expensive place to live. You get much more for your money in many other places.

You just don't get it...

1. Gentrification in Brooklyn & Harlem makes multi-millionaires out of black folk that bought property for pennies on the dollar in the 70s and 80s. No such phenomena in Miami. So stating gentrification "can be found everywhere" belies the fact that Miami uniquely stifles up-ward mobility.

2. Alabama is even cheaper than ATL, but you don't see black folk flocking there.

This is about more than socioeconomics, and i'll just leave it at that because based on your post I don't think you'd understand.

I can't even have a conversation with you without you being condescending. I guess [MENTION=14036]DTP[/MENTION] and I both don't get it.

Property values are different in every place. Brooklyn is expensive. In Richmond, I recently paid an African American man 10 times what he paid for a rental he had which I am gutting and flipping as the neighborhood is "gentrifying" now. On percentages, that's a good score for the guy. In reality, I paid a low $100k number for it because I'm in Richmond not Miami Beach or Brooklyn.

Your premise about Miami excluding blacks from property wealth is flawed. Real Estate has economic driving forces determined by location which drives demand.

If a black man owns a well-located building in Wynwood or a house adjacent to the Design District and he's selling it, he's making money... because there's demand there. If he's selling his house in Opa Locka, he's not making money like they do in places like Brooklyn because there's no demand in Opa Locka. On top of it, Manhattan real estate has driven Brooklyn's rise. That's a different league price-wise.

I deal with development, redevelopment and real estate all the time and I've been around it my entire life. It's economic. No one cares about anything but the risk/reward factor.

Last edited:
Advertisement
What a strange thread..

You just don't get it...

I can't even have a conversation with you without you being condescending. I guess [MENTION=14036]DTP[/MENTION] and I both don't get it.

Property values are different in every place. Brooklyn is expensive. In Richmond, I recently paid an African American man 10 times what he paid for a rental he had which I am gutting and flipping as the neighborhood is "gentrifying" now. On percentages, that's a good score for the guy. In reality, I paid a low $100k number for it because I'm in Richmond not Miami Beach or Brooklyn.

Your premise about Miami excluding blacks from property wealth is flawed. Real Estate has economic driving forces determined by location which drives demand.

If a black man owns a well-located building in Wynwood or a house adjacent to the Design District and he's selling it, he's making money... because there's demand there. If he's selling his house in Opa Locka, he's not making money like they do in places like Brooklyn because there's no demand in Opa Locka. On top of it, Manhattan real estate has driven Brooklyn's rise. That's a different league price-wise.

I deal with development, redevelopment and real estate all the time and I've been around it my entire life. It's economic. No one cares about anything but the risk/reward factor.

Y'all don't, but that's not unique to you or him. It's not advantageous for y'all to understand oppression so you move through life very well without ever truly knowing anything about it.

Problem is you're always offering your limited vantage-point for social currency, but can't see around it to truly understand life from another person's perspective. Stop forcing your poor understanding of AA experience and migratory patterns on me if you want to understand the deeper issues I alluded to before. I'm talking about how black folk actually experience the world, not how white real estate developers think they do.

How many black men own bldgs in Wynwood versus how many own them in Harlem and Bedford Stuyvesant? Why is a black man selling his bungalow in the design district versus keeping a townhouse in Brooklyn?

As a ****** man, are you really trying to tell me what factors influence the life-decisions of black folk?

Last edited:
the only movement i see and it has been going on since i was younger...hence even me being a part of it...is people moving from liberty city/overtown to................Carol city and Broward....not atlanta so much. Hence this whole MIAMI GARDENS being Murda Gardens and being soo bad came about as it is alot of peeps that got a few coins to move north, and them having readily made housing, section 8 do the white flight to north broward..palm beach.

What a strange thread..

You just don't get it...

Y'all don't, but that's not unique to you or him. It's not advantageous for y'all to understand oppression so you move through life very well without ever truly knowing anything about it.

Problem is you're always offering your limited vantage-point for social currency, but can't see around it to truly understand life from another person's perspective. Stop forcing your poor understanding of AA experience and migratory patterns on me if you want to understand the deeper issues I alluded to before. I'm talking about how black folk actually experience the world, not how white real estate developers think they do.

How many black men own bldgs in Wynwood versus how many own them in Harlem and Bedford Stuyvesant? Why is a black man selling his bungalow in the design district versus keeping a townhouse in Brooklyn?

As a ****** man, are you really trying to tell me what factors influence the life-decisions of black folk?

Nope. I'm not going to tell a black man how to feel about racism and life factors influencing their decisions any more than I want someone telling me how to feel about the holocaust. I just see things differently than you. I see economics and market factors where you see societal issues.

Anyone who has the ability to fund a deal can invest where they want in this country. Miami is no different than anywhere else.

Btw, the biggest house flipper i know in Richmond doing more deals than anyone, and buying out all kinds of folks in all areas, is an African American man. It's not just white developers. It's economics and opportunity and people of all and any backgrounds taking their shots at the dream.

Last edited:
Advertisement

You just don't get it...

Nope. I'm not going to tell a black man how to feel about racism and life factors influencing their decisions any more than I want someone telling me how to feel about the holocaust. I just see things differently than you. I see economics and market factors where you see societal issues.

Anyone who has the ability to fund a deal can invest where they want in this country. Miami is no different than anywhere else.

Btw, the biggest house flipper i know in Richmond doing more deals than anyone, and buying out all kinds of folks in all areas, is an African American man. It's not just white developers. It's economics and opportunity and people of all and any backgrounds taking their shots at the dream.

Good. This thread is about black folk leaving Miami for ATL; what relevance does your pettifog about Richmond Va. real estate have to the subject?

the only movement i see and it has been going on since i was younger...hence even me being a part of it...is people moving from liberty city/overtown to................Carol city and Broward....not atlanta so much. Hence this whole MIAMI GARDENS being Murda Gardens and being soo bad came about as it is alot of peeps that got a few coins to move north, and them having readily made housing, section 8 do the white flight to north broward..palm beach.

Prop Joe, as usual, understands. Most people relocate to other neighborhoods in the same metro area rather than move to a new metro area. Life-long bonds, familiarity, comfort-level, families, friends, etc typically keep most family units close to where they formerly lived; e.g. Carol City, Broward, etc.

And in terms of the data, the phenomenon being discussed in this thread isn't even significant. In the five years prior to 2015 an average of 7,600 people moved from the Miami metro area to the Atlanta metro area (while 4,900 moved from Atl to Mia). Out of a Miami metro area comprised of over 5 million people, we're not talking about much out-migration to the Atlanta area (and even less in terms of net migration). https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/08/25/a-simple-illustration-of-how-americans-move-between-the-10-biggest-metro-areas/?utm_term=.d2f9aa5d32bc

What a strange thread..

You just don't get it...

I agree with RVA (and Paly). Gentrification dramatically improves neighborhoods and creates lots of new jobs as well. Wynwood is a great example. The issue in South Florida is simply that demand far outstrips supply in real estate. There is only so much land and folks from high tax states and legal/illegal immigrants still want to live or have a place here.

What is really needed in South Florida, and in all of our country, is more good jobs, so folks can afford more.

Advertisement
What a strange thread..

You just don't get it...

the old "you're not black you wouldn't understand post".
because muslims, jews, mexicans, and literally every other person can't possibly empathize with the struggles of the black man.

You just don't get it...

because muslims, jews, mexicans, and literally every other person can't possibly empathize with the struggles of the black man.

no, they can't..

They all get to leave their environments of oppression to come here, to America. Where they can 'pass' and get a fresh start free of their...persecution. Meanwhile, descendants of black folk who experienced chattel slavery or themselves experienced Jim Crowe 50+ years ago have no better place to migrate and leave their oppressive environment behind, because America is that place. It's the generational poverty and systemic barriers unique to the burden-bearing black Americans of this country, among other things, that distinguishes their experience from that politically correct but watered-down, socially-engineered understanding of 'minorities' you espouse.

Last edited:
You just don't get it...

no, they can't..

They all get to leave their environments of oppression to come here, to America. Where they can 'pass' and get a fresh start free of their...persecution. Meanwhile, descendants of black folk who experienced chattel slavery or themselves experienced Jim Crowe 50+ years ago have no better place to migrate and leave their oppressive environment behind, because America is that place. It's the generational poverty and systemic barriers unique to the burden-bearing black Americans of this country, among other things, that distinguishes their experience from that politically correct but watered-down, socially-engineered understanding of 'minorities' you espouse.

You thinking it's better to be Muslim (or from the Middle East in general) than it is to be black in America today, tells me everything I need to know about you. You're clearly just as racist as the White people that you hate.

Recent research has shown the empirical evidence for globalization of corporate innovation is very limited. And as a corollary, the market for technologies is shrinking.

As a world leader, it is important for America to provide systematic research grants for our scientists. I believe there will always be a need for us to have a well-articulated innovation policy with emphasis on human resource development. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Back