Interesting Concept by LSU center

Advertisement
Looks like targeting to me by th D-Line man. He went helmet to helmet. Should of been ejected for the rest of the year.

Advertisement
Players do that all the time plus no ref is going to spot. Ether way Dlineman has to watch the ball no excuse.

Advertisement
Players do that all the time plus no ref is going to spot. Ether way Dlineman has to watch the ball no excuse.

Actually, there is an excuse. It's a penalty for a reason. Just like offsides is called on the defense for causing an OLineman to false start without any contact.

Advertisement
Difficult to catch unless an official is looking for it. I would not want this to be a penalty unless the center moved his arm. A DL can move all he wants unless he jumps offsides, but an OL can’t flinch his hand?

There are far bigger issues in CFB than this.

Difficult to catch unless an official is looking for it. I would not want this to be a penalty unless the center moved his arm. A DL can move all he wants unless he jumps offsides, but an OL can’t flinch his hand?

There are far bigger issues in CFB than this.

To my knowledge, there isn't a penalty for all the OL, just the center for flinching his hands to simulate ball snap movement.

Advertisement
I wonder if this includes the center flexing his non-snapping hand?

Source: 2018 NCAA Football Rules and Interpretations PDF / NCAA Publications - 2018 NCAA Football Rules and Interpretations

Shift and False Start ARTICLE 2. a. Shift. After a huddle (Rule 2-14) or shift (Rule 2-22-1) and before the snap, all Team A players must come to an absolute stop and remain stationary in their positions without movement of the feet, body, head or arms for at least one full second before the ball is snapped. (A.R. 7-1-2-I). b. False Start. Each of the following is a false start by Team A if it occurs prior to the snap after the ball is ready for play and all players are in scrimmage formation:

1. Any movement by one or more players that simulates the start of a play.
2. The snapper moving to another position.
3. A restricted lineman (Rule 2-27-4) moving his hand(s) or making any quick movement. [Exceptions: 1. It is not a false start if a Team A lineman immediately reacts when threatened by a Team B player in the neutral zone (Rule 7-1-5-a-2) (A.R. 7-1-3-V) 2. Rule 7-1-3-a-3].
4. An offensive player making any quick, jerky movement before the snap, including but not limited to: (a) A lineman moving his foot, shoulder, arm, body or head in a quick, jerky motion in any direction. (b) The snapper shifting or moving the ball, moving his thumb or fingers, flexing his elbows, jerking his head, or dipping his shoulders or buttocks. (c) The quarterback making any quick, jerky movement that simulates the beginning of a play.

Rule 4(b) does not specify to be fair. But rule 3 kind of does?

Advertisement
Back