Instant Reaction Podcast: Canes hire JD Arteaga

Advertisement
Advertisement
Pete, why didn’t you press the two guests harder on tangible facts about the hire?

after Mario, I hope we never hire an alumni to be HC for any sport at Miami again. I don’t trust the school to not sabotage itself
Read between the lines. He didn't have to press them. They told you all you needed to know about their thoughts on JD as a coach.

I also think it is tellng that they mentioned guys who they wanted as pitching coaches - like Sam Abrams, who is with the Cubs. They need to catch up to this century. Baseball is a different game that was 20 years ago. Analytics are essential.

Nah bro. This one is squarely on the AD. This isn't cfb where the cost difference between an average coach and an elite coach can be 8-10 million dollars per year. UM could afford almost any baseball coach it wanted.

No argument about the economics in comparison to cfb and that UM can afford any baseball coach it wanted but the question remains whether the school was willing to spend the money for the commitments any rising star coach would be asking with staff, facilities, scholarships, etc...do we know for sure? If the answer is no then there isn't much the AD can do aside from hire a lame holdover from staff or take a chance on a young talented from a smaller program.

No argument about the economics in comparison to cfb and that UM can afford any baseball coach it wanted but the question remains whether the school was willing to spend the money for the commitments any rising star coach would be asking with staff, facilities, scholarships, etc...do we know for sure? If the answer is no then there isn't much the AD can do aside from hire a lame holdover from staff or take a chance on a young talented from a smaller program.

You can look at Rads track record. He didn't care about baseball at Clemson either. Once is an aberration. Twice is a pattern. He went along with with good ol' boy network at UM because that's what the good ol' boys wanted. I think baseball will get plenty of money, we just have a terrible coach so it's going to be wasted. Instead of hiring a brilliant coach that gets the most out of the existing roster, we went with another UM guy. Fans are told to not to worry that he isn't a good game day coach, he is a great recruiter and talent will mask the co[BGCOLOR=initial]rching. Sound familiar? [/BGCOLOR]

Advertisement
So Frenk told Rad not to hire a competent coach?

I dunno...but I would be willing to know what kind of commitment Frenk gave towards not only hiring a competent but securing an elite coaching staff plus enhancements towards facilities, NIL, scholarship monies, etc.....

You can look at Rads track record. He didn't care about baseball at Clemson either. Once is an aberration. Twice is a pattern. He went along with with good ol' boy network at UM because that's what the good ol' boys wanted. I think baseball will get plenty of money, we just have a terrible coach so it's going to be wasted. Instead of hiring a brilliant coach that gets the most out of the existing roster, we went with another UM guy. Fans are told to not to worry that he isn't a good game day coach, he is a great recruiter and talent will mask the co[BGCOLOR=initial]rching. Sound familiar? [/BGCOLOR]

I don't necessarily dispute your take but, again, who hired Rad?

And there you have it. Receipts kept.

And problem #1. It’s like these dudes love running into a wall, banging their heads over & over again. Nepotism & cronyism have derailed this school for the better part of 20 yrs.

Is it any coincidence that two NEW successful programs (based upon its history) r the basketball programs, ran by two non-Miami bros? Is it any coincidence that the two programs that put the school on the map were brought to greatness from non-Miami bros? Yet, let’s continue to do the same chit that’s brought down both programs.

Just like w/ everything else, my only hope this time a Miami bro will be different than his predecessors, but those hopes have been tarnished for quite some time.

Food Poisoning Reaction GIF by lilcozynostril

Advertisement
I dunno...but I would be willing to know what kind of commitment Frenk gave towards not only hiring a competent but securing an elite coaching staff plus enhancements towards facilities, NIL, scholarship monies, etc.....
If you look where the practice and firmed-up rules are headed, the U (Frenk n steins) has very little to do with offering up NIL commitment$. Per the returning players and prospects, we are not likely to be overwhelmed with talent without it. If AROD threw in 5 million that will be aggressively used in NIL, in light of no real pots o cash otherwise at the ready, can almost say "let him have his opinion, and maybe for choice of HC too". (ps: LIFW down to 0.33 new low)

Smacks of Westminster cronyism bull****. Kinda sick of that school and its entitled players who all think they are going to be the next ARod.

Advertisement
And problem #1. It’s like these dudes love running into a wall, banging their heads over & over again. Nepotism & cronyism have derailed this school for the better part of 20 yrs.

Is it any coincidence that two NEW successful programs (based upon its history) r the basketball programs, ran by two non-Miami bros? Is it any coincidence that the two programs that put the school on the map were brought to greatness from non-Miami bros? Yet, let’s continue to do the same chit that’s brought down both programs.

Just like w/ everything else, my only hope this time a Miami bro will be different than his predecessors, but those hopes have been tarnished for quite some time.

And Katie Meir too. Honestly, if we are looking at data and samples, hiring someone with absolutely zero University of Miami history should be a unwavering prerequisite

And Katie Meir too. Honestly, if we are looking at data and samples, hiring someone with absolutely zero University of Miami history should be a unwavering prerequisite

That’s who I was referring to; I believe she’s a Duke grad & she coached at Charlotte b4 she came to the program, right?

What we might be missing is that Rad reports to Echevarria now (the school has a CEO to run operations, while Frenk is academics only). We wanted a new AD, but if he has no real authority to make major hiring decisions (and I am, admittedly, speculating), then nothing has changed other than different people in charge at the top.

This has worked out so well for us in various sports.
It’s worked So well, smh 🤔. Why must we continue to do this? It’s never the best guy for the job, it’s seemingly always, the best CANE coach for the job. So far… the best **** coach in the athletic department, is a guy that had no previous connection to the school. Nobody hires NEW head coaches from OLD failed regimes, quite like us? ****!

Advertisement
Back