Insight from fellow fathers...

I guess i got what i deserved expecting advice only to receive
Insults about me and my son.

I sat my son out practice because his grades were not good.
Once he was eligible he did everything that was supposed
To and more, but the coaches wouldn't let him play any more.

When i approached coaches i wasn't rude or obnoxious. I'm
not some delusional dad who thinks his kid is the next Barry Sanders
Neither.

I made a regrettable mistake by posting this, I never imagined
guys would come at me or my son like this. I was upset and didn't
make my points clear when i posted the thread. I don't think it
would've mattered.

This site is full of clowns, dude. They lurk in the shadows waiting for a chance to make fun of somebody. It's just part of the site, I wouldn't take it personal.

However, I'm objective and I'll give it to you straight. I think you may be overreacting. Your son is only in 10th grade? He's still young. He's got plenty of time to take his place at the table.

The best advice I can give you is to MAKE the coaches play you. MAKE them take notice. If he's making plays in practice and doing the right assignments then I seriously doubt that his coaches will ignore it and continue to sit him. Sometimes a player has to make himself noticeable and undeniable.

I had a Linebacker last season who, in the beginning of the year, I had already written off. Kid is about 5'10" 170lbs maybe. He's built like an old man, hunchback, can't run and looks like a band member instead of a football player. He started out as a backup Linebacker. The kid in front of him was bigger, stronger and hit like a truck. However, he wasn't coachable and not very savvy. The "inferior" kid kept making tackles near the line-of-scrimmage against the 1st team offense and he was always in the right spot. I could never catch him doing anything wrong, thus I never had to correct him or "coach him up". I told him something once and that's all he needed. He wasn't gonna make any outstanding plays but he wasn't gonna mess up and leave my defense vulnerable either. Ultimately I had no choice but to promote this kid to starting Will Linebacker. He gave me no choice.

Hopefully that little story helps put things in perspective for you.

Advertisement
It's commendable that you held your son out because of his grades but that doesn't negate the fact that he missed valuable reps and that put him behind the curve. The best advice I got is that your kid just needs to put his head down and WORK. Bust his *** every day in practice and force himself into those reps. If the coaches need a volunteer to demonstrate something, he needs to step up. Be assertive in all areas from the practice field to the weight room and in the classroom and the coaches will notice. He's got plenty of time to earn those reps, no reason to get discouraged just yet.

Also think it's a great idea toa get independent evaluation on your sons game. You gotta really know what you're working with before you start throwing around stuff about your son deserving more PT.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back