InsideTheU’s Latest Pod - Fire

Right or wrong, we are going to see a complete disaster all-around if they start TVD again; OR if they do and don’t pull him as soon as he starts f*cking up, staff might start losing the team a bit. That’s when things could get even worse, as horrific as that sounds after what happened Saturday.

Yes, offense needs big adjustments regardless of which guy starts. But it was clear that guys were frustrated and finally started getting fired up once Jake came in. How do you go back after you took TVD out? Going to be a total disaster.
I think it being the bye week, it's their one opportunity to give TVD another chance but - as you mentioned - they should have a short leash on him. B/c if they put Jake in and he doesn't play well, then what? You can't go back and forth with them. The bye week gives them the opportunity to say that they worked on some things and still believe TVD is the guy and then if he plays like crap again, you pull him.

Now if behind the scenes TVD is not showing the right attitude, Jake looks better than him in practice or it is clear that the team has given up on TVD, then yes - just go ahead and pull TVD now.

All that being said - and as someone who was never previously on the Jake should be playing ahead of TVD wagon - the attitude (or at least the perceived one from what we have seen on TV and interviews) from TVD this season does not seem like it is in a good place. Not sure if he is just super frustrated with the offense, himself or what but it doesn't give me much hope that things are going to turn around for him as long as he is here.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Again w/ that word culture.

Couple things I disagree w/.

1. Darryl Porter has been God awful whenever he’s in. That’s y he’s not getting burn.

2. Kam has been our best player on defense. The only comfy I see from him is being comfortable as a natural safety. I totally agree on J Will & I had reservations on him & u can find my reservations in his recruiting thread. For all the natural abilities he has, he makes a lot of bone headed decisions, and I’m referring to his after the play antics. If refs were being a-holes, he could be called for taunting often.

Other than that, I agree w/ everything that was said, including getting Avantae on the field.
I gotta say regarding JW0, I also had concerns about him playing safety but the majority of the board reacted as expected. The entirety of his hs film where he stood out was him playing closer to the LOS. He may adamantly insist on playing safety cuz that's what he likes but he's not particularly good at it and he's hurting the team more than helping at this point with his penalties and crappy tackling.

One thing I agree with (I will listen later though..sounds like a great podcast episode)..is that NOBODY should feel comfortable right now. NOBODY. I dont care if its Kam...Wham! ..or Teddys Jam...Nobody should walk around Greentree at this moment feeling like "Yeah, ive done my job. Yall the ones with the problem" type attitude. They all gotta wear this loss when they come back for alumni events years from now unless they make up for it somehow. Nobody is safe anymore. Not after this. There is no "best defensive player/best offensive player" trophy being handed out right now. Everybody sucks equally.

They made a good point as well regarding Gattis being OC & WR coach as I didn’t like the set up from the beginning.

If in dual roles, it should be OC & QB coach. That’s an issue that he’s not in there breaking down film with the OC, but instead the WRs. Plus the current QB coach is the passing coordinator. Even if they are doing meetings together and watching film together, it doesn’t make sense.

The culture won't change until people leave or are asked to leave the program. If some of the 4 and 5 star players on the roster want to bounce, then let them bounce. Coaches, alumni and the fanbase have to understand that real change means some of these kids must go.

AND, Mario must understand that bully ball works whe4n you have UGAs roster, not Miami's. The offensive approach has been poorly executed by the players, no doubt. But when I look at what they are doing it's clear they are forcing the system on the players rather than adapting the system for the players they have.

Advertisement
When we broke camp and I saw that guys like Flagg, Steed, Ivey, Couch, et al had won their jobs, I immediately got a pit in my stomach. Maybe they truly are the best at their positions in practice settings, but these kids have been the flag bearers for mediocrity the past 3-4 years.

Tyler can make all the duck throws. Not sure if I have seen a spiral past 5 yards this season

Advertisement
Porter played his best game as a Cane and could only get 20 snaps. And this is after Stevenson got hurt. I don't understand why the coaches keep trotting out the same guys even after they are getting destroyed.

I gotta say regarding JW0, I also had concerns about him playing safety but the majority of the board reacted as expected. The entirety of his hs film where he stood out was him playing closer to the LOS. He may adamantly insist on playing safety cuz that's what he likes but he's not particularly good at it and he's hurting the team more than helping at this point with his penalties and crappy tackling.
It has nothing to do with his ability to play safety. He clearly can. He looks like he's freelancing and his technique is **** poor. He's either just grabbing or trying kill shots with no wrap up.

Porter played his best game as a Cane and could only get 20 snaps. And this is after Stevenson got hurt. I don't understand why the coaches keep trotting out the same guys even after they are getting destroyed.
I didn’t watch much of the game Saturday. Has Porter really been that bad to the point where you don’t play him over Ivey and Couch? At this point I’ll take anyone except Curtis over Ivey and Couch.

Pretty much agreed with everything but I wouldn't lump in Kam with JW0's poor play. Tae & Balom need more reps at safety. JW0 has been quite awful but he's occasional splash play keeps his image too clean in too many fans' view IMO. Everyone knows at this point Mallory, Ivey, and Flagg need to be martched to the bench so coaches need to find the stones and just do it, take your lumps now with the younger guys as it should pay dividends come November. It's likely TVD will start vs UNC but the leash needs to be short. And most importantly, we gotta go more pace & space. It suits Tyler and the WR's and now with the RB room decimated by injury no reason not to make the major adjustments NOW. Lastly, why the f*** did Ladson disappear last Saturday ? He mad a few catches, one of them a pretty tough one yet afterwards he received 0 targets. Key Smiff, Brashard, and Ladson should be top 3 guys for now with HEAVY doses of Arroyo & Skinner too. And while we're at it get Brantley & Mammarelli involved in the pass game more too.
Doubled edged sword on pace .... go faster and basically more possessions for UNC offense vs our offense ... theor offense is light years better so I don't like that matchup. Basically needs to be a rock fight vs UNC or they may boat race us.

Advertisement
TVD can't be that good of a QB if the OC has to babysit him. Great QBs adapt. I bet you Jake would still look like Jake in Lashees offense.

When we broke camp and I saw that guys like Flagg, Steed, Ivey, Couch, et al had won their jobs, I immediately got a pit in my stomach. Maybe they truly are the best at their positions in practice settings, but these kids have been the flag bearers for mediocrity the past 3-4 years.
There are a lot positions changes that need to take place for UNC.

These same jokers out there are playing very inconsistent at best and it’s not like we faced Clemson, Bama, Texas or Oklahoma.

You know the level of competition we have played and it’s mostly the same sh*t performance.

One of the major keys to our shellacking was missing Zion and having Olawusen in the lineup. Completely destroyed any chance of semblance of a run game.
Man I forgot Zion was on the team lol what happened to him this year all the 1st round hype

Advertisement
Doubled edged sword on pace .... go faster and basically more possessions for UNC offense vs our offense ... theor offense is light years better so I don't like that matchup. Basically needs to be a rock fight vs UNC or they may boat race us.
True. With our rb injuries not sure we'll be able to play keep away via TOP but we definitely need lots of points to beat UNC unless their O has a bad day.

I can’t exactly defend Gattis after how bad his playcalling was against MTSU overall (mostly the horrifically slow tempo kills me) but the idea that we haven’t had any receivers open is just flat-out false. There are tons of clips of TVD just not even looking past his first read and the next guy is running totally free. Keyshawn Smith alone had several instances of this.

Doesn’t magically fix the drops, but still, it’s not like guys have been blanketed. At all
Smith be open often! He is a pretty good WR. Has the speed and is a deep threat. But we don’t look to target him. He is WR 1 period! Even with X in the lineup, Smith should be option one because he’s always open.

Man I forgot Zion was on the team lol what happened to him this year all the 1st round hype
He came back and they played him at RT for some reason and he never played there before smh! ****ty coaching from top to bottom!

Advertisement
Back