Inside the U article by David Lake

ask Lake why hasn't he called out the BoT like he said he was going to do. y'all can give him all the props you want but I can't respect a dude who is all bark, no bite.

Advertisement
They don't want an upgrade at HC. They want their one guy. No one can ever convince me there is only one **** upgrade out there. ****, there are 100. I'm sick of this crap.
So their guy, who they are willing to spend millions on with their OWN money is not a big upgrade? They are willing to bring in a proven NFL execitive to assist and that is not a huge upgrade as well?

If it is Cristobal, he may succeed. He may fail. But I am willing to bet we become relevant in the conference and nationally.

Most of you guys have been conditioned to ***** about everything.

Advertisement
They don't want an upgrade at HC. They want their one guy. No one can ever convince me there is only one **** upgrade out there. ****, there are 100. I'm sick of this crap.

There are TONS of upgrades out there. And Miami, with their newfound money could surely get some of them.

Burt none of them are of the caliber of Mario on paper. Not as a coach, not as a fit, not in their ability to win over the very, very tempestuous Miami community immediately.

You're looking at this backwards. It's not that there is only one upgrade out there for Miami. It's that there is a top 10 HBC out there that is way above what we deserve right now, and the only reason we are in it for him is BECAUSE he's a son of Miami. Use what you got. You think we are getting better than Mario right now, you're bat**** crazy.

This speculation stuff is amateur-hour at its best. Enjoyed a healthy giggle over the reference of billionaire boosters - Phil Knight vs. John Ruiz. Is Mr. Lake serious? Not only would Knight eat his lunch & all the over local big shots, but Nike has created a cadre of other very wealthy Oregon alums. So, better pray it comes down to more than just money or Miami has no chance.
It’s not that simple. Beyond Uncle Phil, Oregon doesn’t have the robust donor network that people think it does. ****, the guy that runs one of their boards was even begging for people to donate a few weeks back because of how dry the donation pipeline is. Also, talk to Oregon people, and you’ll learn Uncle Phil isn’t as involved as he used to be. Guy is 83, and from what Oregon fans have told me, his kids are not going to give Oregon the level of support they’re used to.

Miami and Oregon are opposites in this regard. Oregon’s cultivated the narrative that they’ve got more money than anyone (they don’t) while Miami’s had the narrative of we’re broke and have no money (there’s plenty of money, at least now). We can March an Oregon offer, but ultimately this decision for Cristobal is about more than money.

Advertisement
There are TONS of upgrades out there. And Miami, with their newfound money could surely get some of them.

Burt none of them are of the caliber of Mario on paper. Not as a coach, not as a fit, not in their ability to win over the very, very tempestuous Miami community immediately.

You're looking at this backwards. It's not that there is only one upgrade out there for Miami. It's that there is a top 10 HBC out there that is way above what we deserve right now, and the only reason we are in it for him is BECAUSE he's a son of Miami. Use what you got. You think we are getting better than Mario right now, you're bat**** crazy.
What’s he’s saying is the Mario or bust mentality. If Mario declines you can‘t just fall back on Diaz - you dont think Lane, who wants the job, isn’t a massive upgrade?

Basically the gist of the article is saying they are going to turn over the entire athletic department to Mario essentially and the Columbus cartel will have his back due to the poor leadership and corruption of the BOT. This is a circus after all. Not an ideal way to do business. Why is everything so *** backwards and banana republic with this school and the city of Miami in general? Hire the athletic director and then let the AD do their job. This structure has been proven to work. Basically, Mario is gonna call the shots. My question is, if he were to fail, who keeps a check and balance on him?

...he is pretty good at reading this board, cutting and pasting and then putting together a lengthy paper to make it seem as if he did all the work...lmao

mow, lake is a good guy and cares about the U but come on man....

Hopefully, Lake verified whatever he reads here and learns from other sources. There's significant value in his reporting if so, even if it's a repeat of what you and others have said.

Advertisement
Basically the gist of the article is saying they are going to turn over the entire athletic department to Mario essentially and the Columbus cartel will have his back due to the poor leadership and corruption of the BOT. This is a circus after all. Not an ideal way to do business. Why is everything so *** backwards and banana republic with this school and the city of Miami in general? Hire the athletic director and then let the AD do their job. This structure has been proven to work. Basically, Mario is gonna call the shots. My question is, if he were to fail, who keeps a check and balance on him?
Didn’t view the article as saying that. Viewed it in the lense of Miami putting in place the resources to bring in Mario. There’s going to be 60 trustees next year regardless. Mario knows most are clowns. The job is more attractive if he has allies within the athletic department and on the BOT.

Advertisement
It’s amazing to me how anyone can look at this and be optimistic.
Your about to start spending real money on this program in order to compete for titles.

That’s what everyone has been saying correct??

You have some big pockets that care and want the best for the future of the program. Am I following correctly here?

Then why in the name of everything that is holy would your fall back option possibly be Mannu fckng Diaz.

This sht is like talking to a teenager who says he wants to become a doctor but if that doesn’t work out he’s just gonna get his high school hand back together and tour the country in a used RV

The only sense that makes is if they know Mario is a definitive yes.

And that is one big fckng risk.

So while that may seem optimistic, this program has made so many fcked up moves in the past 20 years that I have no faith that they actually pulled this off.

Didn’t view the article as saying that. Viewed it in the lense of Miami putting in place the resources to bring in Mario. There’s going to be 60 trustees next year regardless. Mario knows most are clowns. The job is more attractive if he has allies within the athletic department and on the BOT.
I keep going back to alignment. They are basically going to pitch to a guy who already has a top job in the country a job without an athletic director?? I'm skeptical. I'm sorry but I am. If Mario is as structured and as organized as I hear, the hope is basically to match the money and hope coming back home is enough. Big gamble.

To make a long story short - Julio Frenk has stepped up in leadership and walled off the AD and HC search process from the Hecht and BOT as he sees the bad leadership there. They’re mad that they’re cut off. Only Más and Lemonis are involved - both Columbus guys. If the BOT withholds money, the Columbus guys and Ruiz can step in, particularly Ruiz.

Mario is friends with Gino Toretta and respects Columbus alum Alonzo Highsmith’s football knowledge and both or either being in the AD would give him the allies that he needs there.

They're in a position now where Mario will listen to an offer after his game tonight. He was never working for Blake James. Oregon has an extension ready as well. That he hasn’t signed that and that Manny doesn’t have a new OC is telling that this is in play. If not for the loss to FSU, apparently we wouldn’t be here. That said, if no Mario, it’s not a certainty that Diaz doesn’t return.

The head coach situation is likely to happen by Tuesday??? It might happen before the AD is chosen.

You know, I think the 'Mario or bust' strategy ignores the fact that Manny is a lame duck at this point, and it would be disasterous to bring him back...still can't see the benefit to stringing him along. They should fire him immediately, at the very least as a statement to some of these dumbasses on the BOT that want their 'binky' back: everyone needs to row in the same direction now. Manny coming back as coach is so short sighted at this point, it simply cannot be an option, they would face a complete revolt by the fanbase.

Also, IMO, the fact that Mario hated Beta Blake makes it hard to dislike him.

Advertisement
Back