Innovative defenses like the 5-1-5

Advertisement
You can take away the slants by bringing the Rover and Strong down into the box to act like OLBs. Or drop a DE into robber to take away the passing lane.

See this is the flexibility that this formation brings for you. A 5 man front forces the O to respect the DL - are there 5 OL athletic enough to block Pinckney and Garvin at the edges, and Willis and Ford and D Jackson in the middle one on one? I highly doubt it. The only time an OL will defeat this is in goal line or close yardage situations and that's when you substitute to give your DL a bigger look. The DEs in the 5 man front are athletic enough to drop into pass coverage if necessary and having 5 DBs at all times helps as well in pass coverage. Having 5 DBs also allows us to be flexible AF, allowing us to defend the pass better but also giving us the flexibility to put 8 men in the box with a single call.
Wait 10 years for the bitter taste of golden and the fat whorship crowd to fade and come back with this crap. Howard ran the old OU 5 - 2 which could some time pass as a 3-4, but our greatness came with the Miami 4-3. Any 3-4 or the the 5-2 you describe requires a rare human at NT. The only cane like that since Jim Burt I can remember is Big Daddy Vince. That is a long time between the essential player. The DTs for our 4-3 are much more available.

So we have a surplus of LB’s and you suggest we go to a formation with the least amount of LB’s.
:thumbsup-kid:

Did you even look at my projected depth chart? The surplus LBs are maximized to the fullest extent. Proven beasts are moved to the rush DE position to disrupt the pocket. Faster, undersized types are moved to the 5 man DB unit as Rovers.

Did you even look at my projected depth chart? The surplus LBs are maximized to the fullest extent. Proven beasts are moved to the rush DE position to disrupt the pocket. Faster, undersized types are moved to the 5 man DB unit as Rovers.

So each one is maximized playing outside their positions? That’s rare for one LB much less all of them.

Wait 10 years for the bitter taste of golden and the fat whorship crowd to fade and come back with this crap. Howard ran the old OU 5 - 2 which could some time pass as a 3-4, but our greatness came with the Miami 4-3. Any 3-4 or the the 5-2 you describe requires a rare human at NT. The only cane like that since Jim Burt I can remember is Big Daddy Vince. That is a long time between the essential player. The DTs for our 4-3 are much more available.

Actually the whole point of my 5 man front is that we don't need that giant NG plug type. 5 DL will force the opposing OL to go man to man and account for each one - they won't be able to double team anyone. Also, this 5 man front won't be running any 2 gap. They will all be attacking 1 gap, stunting at times to prevent them from becoming too predictable. The MLB will clean up the middle gaps, the Rover and Strong will clean up the outside gaps, with the Free and the CBs playing 3 deep behind them.

Advertisement
Belichick could install an unorthodox defensive package like that to throw an offense out of rhythm, but that is only because he has a half dozen championship rings and the credibility to weather the storm if it blows up in his face. Manny Diaz has done enough (bad) defensive experimenting in his tenure- I don't need to see more. Stick to the Miami 4-3 and run it like it's supposed to be run and you will have a top 10 defense. Diaz runs too many stunts and twists, zones, and the DBs are giving too much of a cushion (and aren't squeezing WRs to the sidelines). The only wrinkle I'd like to see is a 4-3 package with Smith (who can play a hybrid LB/S) and lay the wood.

I might try this with my little league team next this year.

LOL...I ran it with my pip squeak team some years back, loved it.

Real good D for what you'll be facing at that level (sweeps & off-tackle).

All it is is a 4-2-5 with an extra DT, but minus an ILB...VT ran it vs OSU in 2015.

Assignments are super simple, allows your kids to play fast.

I think it is fair to say that every offense and defense you can imagine has been tried for "one game". But, the radical ideas fall by the wayside or become commonplace-like the spread option or pistol. But, 5-1-5 is a nope.

Advertisement

All it is is a 4-2-5 with an extra DT, but minus an ILB...VT ran it vs OSU in 2015.

We ran a 5-3-3 when I played @ Pembroke Pines Optimist in the late 60's and early 70's. Hardly any passing back then. 5 DL's, MLB, 2 OLB's, 2 CB's, and a Rover safety - that was me. Difficult D to run on. Not recommended at the college level! LOL

Since we are thinking outside the box, has anyone ever seen a basketball like man on man defense in football where each defender is assigned a guy to "beat"? Eleven men straight across the line of scrimmage.

I’m going to take a wild guess here and say there’s a reason NO ONE uses this 5-1-5 scheme.

Since we are thinking outside the box, has anyone ever seen a basketball like man on man defense in football where each defender is assigned a guy to "beat"? Eleven men straight across the line of scrimmage.
yeah it all out blitzes ...

Advertisement

I will definitely look into it. Put my best athlete at the rover and always to the strong side. Drop one of my safteys to the slot on twins. If they come out 2x2, ill drop a dlineman back to lb and switch to a 4-2. My 11-12 yr olds were able to switch defenses on the fly last year as long as I recognized the offense and called out for the switch.

Aye, this thread is useful after all.

Brings back memories they used the 5-1-5 against South Carolina. I was living in Lexington sc stationed at ft jackson at the time.I remember sc players saying in the paper how it confused their blocking scheme.after that game the only thing the gamecock s talked about was Joe Lee dunn and his defensive schemes and Blitz's

I prefer the 2-2-7 defense with Jackee' at MLB and Mr and Mrs. Jenkins up front on the line.

Advertisement
You can take away the slants by bringing the Rover and Strong down into the box to act like OLBs. Or drop a DE into robber to take away the passing lane.

See this is the flexibility that this formation brings for you. A 5 man front forces the O to respect the DL - are there 5 OL athletic enough to block Pinckney and Garvin at the edges, and Willis and Ford and D Jackson in the middle one on one? I highly doubt it. The only time an OL will defeat this is in goal line or close yardage situations and that's when you substitute to give your DL a bigger look. The DEs in the 5 man front are athletic enough to drop into pass coverage if necessary and having 5 DBs at all times helps as well in pass coverage. Having 5 DBs also allows us to be flexible AF, allowing us to defend the pass better but also giving us the flexibility to put 8 men in the box with a single call.

You move our LBs to the front line and to make up for it, you bring our CBs into the LB position? It just sounds you really like blitzing and this is a way to justify it.

How about 4-3-3 (with a goalie of course to keep anyone out of end zone). 2CBs, 1LB, 1RB, 3 midfielders, 2 wingers, and a striker

**** it! Let’s play in the 46...worked for Ditka and Buddy Ryan.

After we learn our current defense ....I'd love seeing us throwing in the 46 occasionally on some teams.

BTW Ditka knew squat about the 46 that was ALL Buddy

Advertisement
Back