Initial Lashlee Observations

First...I am going to piggy back you when I say...I just don't know if we have players that can execute this offense like they were able to do at SMU.

Why do say that? Not smart enough? Not athletic enough? What is so special about SMU? It's not like SMU are getting blue chippers or MENSA members. The issue is if Lashlee is a good enough teacher and players are held accountable to learn the offense and playbook. Judging by his track record the guy seems to positively impact the offense no matter where he goes.

Advertisement
Why do say that? Not smart enough? Not athletic enough? What is so special about SMU? It's not like SMU are getting blue chippers or MENSA members. The issue is if Lashlee is a good enough teacher and players are held accountable to learn the offense and playbook. Judging by his track record the guy seems to positively impact the offense no matter where he goes.

I explained it in my post, man.

QB...they need to make quick, smart decisions. Look up Rhett Lashlee's offense when substandard QBs run the offense...Ben Hicks and Bryant Sherriffs/David Pindell. Its pretty ugly. Shane Buechele was <60% passer before he got to SMU and a mature veteran. I don't think any of our QBs have shown the ability to run this offense at the tempo and speed required.

WRs...our room has been nothing but problems and mostly me first players with a few exceptions. We have a few WRs that can excel in this system, but for this to work, it'll require real hard working WRs that keep the integrity of their routes knowing they won't get the ball. Everyone thinks the idea of an Air Raid or Spread means there are more meals to go around...there aren't. WR3, WR4, WR5 in this offense need to be team players and run their **** routes.

Offensive line...idk. Good luck trying to figure out if these guys can function at this pace and volume of snaps. Every single one of these MF'rs needs to get in the gym and start working on their cardio. All of them.

I explained it in my post, man.

QB...they need to make quick, smart decisions. Look up Rhett Lashlee's offense when substandard QBs run the offense...Ben Hicks and Bryant Sherriffs/David Pindell. Its pretty ugly. Shane Buechele was <60% passer before he got to SMU and a mature veteran. I don't think any of our QBs have shown the ability to run this offense at the tempo and speed required.

WRs...our room has been nothing but problems and mostly me first players with a few exceptions. We have a few WRs that can excel in this system, but for this to work, it'll require real hard working WRs that keep the integrity of their routes knowing they won't get the ball. Everyone thinks the idea of an Air Raid or Spread means there are more meals to go around...there aren't. WR3, WR4, WR5 in this offense need to be team players and run their **** routes.

Offensive line...idk. Good luck trying to figure out if these guys can function at this pace and volume of snaps. Every single one of these MF'rs needs to get in the gym and start working on their cardio. All of them.

Again, what makes SMU's players that much better or smarter? It's the system that makes it work. Want to improve on giving up sacks? Call plays to get the ball out quicker. Want to have the qb improve decision making? Simplify reads by spreading defense out. Improve run game? Run up tempo keeping defense on their heels, keeping them from subbing, and mixing up play calling by showing pass then run, showing run then pass. A good system with a good play caller can mask a lot of deficiencies. SMU for god's sake!

That Matocha highlight he kept placing his throws perfectly and his receivers had so darn many drops if they catch all those he is a 5 star. I wonder what his 40 time is, he looks fast.

Advertisement
Back