Initial Lashlee Observations

HighSeas

Sophomore
I quickly watched the SMU offense in a road game against TCU that they won 41-38. This is the link - and here are my main takeaways.

Scheme staples
  • Obviously spread formations with WRs usually well outside hashes to the field side and inside the numbers to the boundary. In-line TE most of the time
  • Only motion I saw was motioning the back out or arc motion with the slot WR
  • Tempo is a key component and they play at a breakneck pace when they can
  • Inside zone is pretty much the only run play. Sometimes it's zone read and sometimes it's RPO bubble. Their OL got good push quite often
  • With the RPO bubble they hand off when the defense isn't set due to the pace. It's an easy read for free yards
  • Variety of pass concepts. A lot of swing routes, outside fades/back shoulder spot routes, and then specific coverage beater concepts like post-dig or levels
  • Not many static route designs. Their WRs ran good routes and they had a lot of free releases. Instead of straight go routes the WRs would give inside/outside shakes and fakes to gain leverage. Instead of simple in or out breaks they ran whip routes, delayed nod routes, follow routes, etc. Think lots of deception with multiple breaks
Interesting designs - chronological order
  • 1st drive they ran a reverse flip back to QB for a chunk gain throw on the outside. That was the only obvious trick play but there were many clever designs afterward
  • Motion to empty QB power draw in the red zone. I like the design and blocking scheme to get a numbers advantage in a difficult spot
  • Trips to boundary (with stack WRs and inline TE) in-breaking levels. Presents a quick read/throw and a challenge for the defense to honor the wide field and the overloaded boundary side
  • Tight splits 4-wide mesh with RB swing in the red zone. The crossers are just eye candy and a natural rub to hit the swing pass. They ran this again on 3rd down in the red zone later with a different formation (11 instead of 10 personnel) and got a TD off of it. Design design design!
  • X iso boundary shake fade from inside the numbers. Nothing special here and a lot of teams run it but when you want to attack a matchup this is how you do it. Create space and let your WR get creative with his release. They ran this at least 3 times. I don't know if Miami has a WR who can execute this though...hopefully Redding eventually
  • 3rd & 3 check with sideline to audible to play action quick hitch to slot WR. This is in bold because TCU had no defender aligned on the slot and Lashlee recognized it and instantly took advantage. AUDIBLES!?!?! FREE YARDS AND 1st DOWN!
  • Maybe my favorite design of the whole game...motion to trips in red zone with 1 in route from #2 while #3 (motion guy) and #1 WRs run angle/follow routes behind #2. The design was for the motion guy and he was WIDE OPEN despite a poor route! This is an excellent man and zone beater concept. Generating wide open throws in the red zone is impressive
  • Another excellent red zone design that didn't succeed - trips to boundary (2 WRs and inline TE again) fake bubble with the TE faking like he's running out to block and then cutting upfield for the sneaky nod route. TCU had good coverage for this and it wasn't good execution by SMU but Brevin Jordan would EAT on this play
So to sum this up I'd say the fans are getting the scheme that they want and a strong play designer & playcaller to boot. The red zone play designs I saw in this game are enough evidence to indicate that Lashlee is a good OC. However I'd caution that SMU got excellent execution from the QB, OL and WRs and those all remain huge question marks for Miami regardless of the scheme and playcalls. I'm not sold that Miami can make a living on a simple inside zone run game without generating pace to tire out the defense and catch them flat-footed. It also remains to be seen if Miami can get the execution from the QBs and WRs to complete passes in any offense. I do think the OL can pass protect though as they will be more experienced and this isn't a difficult offense to protect for with a lot of schemed throws and hopefully pace to wear down defensive fronts.

A transfer QB and WR or two would go a long way to giving me confidence that the offense can be a strong unit next season. Otherwise it will probably take a year before TVD, Worsham, Redding, etc. can execute consistently enough to take advantage of these impressive schemes.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I am sure it is a very good insight but the only thing I understand is good routes...

I am sure it is a very good insight but the only thing I understand is good routes...

I'm happy to explain anything you don't understand. I didn't simplify this as much as I could have because I'm tired and I wanted to post it quick. But tomorrow I will answer in depth if needed.

I quickly watched the SMU offense in a road game against TCU that they won 41-38. This is the link - and here are my main takeaways.

Scheme staples
  • Obviously spread formations with WRs usually well outside hashes to the field side and inside the numbers to the boundary. In-line TE most of the time
  • Inside zone is pretty much the only run play. Sometimes it's zone read and sometimes it's RPO bubble. Their OL got good push quite often
  • With the RPO bubble they hand off when the defense isn't set due to the pace. It's an easy read for free yards
  • Variety of pass concepts. A lot of swing routes, outside fades/back shoulder spot routes, and then specific coverage beater concepts like post-dig or levels
  • Not many static route designs. Their WRs ran good routes and they had a lot of free releases. Instead of straight go routes the WRs would give inside/outside shakes and fakes to gain leverage. Instead of simple in or out breaks they ran whip routes, delayed nod routes, follow routes, etc. Think lots of deception with multiple breaks
  • 1st drive they ran a reverse flip back to QB for a chunk gain throw on the outside. That was the only obvious trick play but there were many clever designs afterward
  • Motion to empty QB power draw in the red zone. I like the design and blocking scheme to get a numbers advantage in a difficult spot
  • Trips to boundary (with stack WRs and inline TE) in-breaking levels. Presents a quick read/throw and a challenge for the defense to honor the wide field and the overloaded boundary side
  • Tight splits 4-wide mesh with RB swing in the red zone. The crossers are just eye candy and a natural rub to hit the swing pass. They ran this again on 3rd down in the red zone later with a different formation (11 instead of 10 personnel) and got a TD off of it. Design design design!
  • X iso boundary shake fade from inside the numbers. Nothing special here and a lot of teams run it but when you want to attack a matchup this is how you do it. Create space and let your WR get creative with his release. They ran this at least 3 times. I don't know if Miami has a WR who can execute this though...hopefully Redding eventually
  • 3rd & 3 check with sideline to audible to play action quick hitch to slot WR. This is in bold because TCU had no defender aligned on the slot and Lashlee recognized it and instantly took advantage. AUDIBLES!?!?! FREE YARDS AND 1st DOWN!
  • Maybe my favorite design of the whole game...motion to trips in red zone with 1 in route from #2 while #3 (motion guy) and #1 WRs run angle/follow routes behind #2. The design was for the motion guy and he was WIDE OPEN despite a poor route! This is an excellent man and zone beater concept. Generating wide open throws in the red zone is impressive
  • Another excellent red zone design that didn't succeed - trips to boundary (2 WRs and inline TE again) fake bubble with the TE faking like he's running out to block and then cutting upfield for the sneaky nod route. TCU had good coverage for this and it wasn't good execution by SMU but Brevin Jordan would EAT on this play
So to sum this up I'd say the fans are getting the scheme that they want and a strong play designer & playcaller to boot. The red zone play designs I saw in this game are enough evidence to indicate that Lashlee is a good OC. However I'd caution that SMU got excellent execution from the QB, OL and WRs and those all remain huge question marks for Miami regardless of the scheme and playcalls. I'm not sold that Miami can make a living on a simple inside zone run game without generating pace to tire out the defense and catch them flat-footed. It also remains to be seen if Miami can get the execution from the QBs and WRs to complete passes in any offense. I do think the OL can pass protect though as they will be more experienced and this isn't a difficult offense to protect for with a lot of schemed throws and hopefully pace to wear down defensive fronts.

A transfer QB and WR or two would go a long way to giving me confidence that the offense can be a strong unit next season. Otherwise it will probably take a year before TVD, Worsham, Redding, etc. can execute consistently enough to take advantage of these impressive schemes.

Man, this is like narrative football ****...do go on

Advertisement
I made a longer form post in another thread looking the distribution of the offense...but something to add on here because I watched this game, too.

First...I am going to piggy back you when I say...I just don't know if we have players that can execute this offense like they were able to do at SMU.

Firstly, I don't think we have a QB to run this **** right now. I'd be searching the transfer market immediately. Our QB1, QB2, QB3 all collectively have their heads up their *** and I don't think they've got what it takes to run this with a cool head like Buechele was able to. Ben Hicks ran it in 2018, he stinks, and the offense was not very good. Bryant Sherriffs ran it in 2017 and he's obviously not very good and the offense wasn't very good. I've said it a few times...but I'd take a look at a player like Chase Brice or Jamie Newman.

Secondly, in the red zone...their second attempt in the red zone is what I'd be scared of here. Inside Zones that get nothing, routes run short of the end zone (looking for walk-ins), and silly pace driven QB sneaks that teams see from a thousand miles away. I can see us doing this A LOT, mostly because of what I just touched upon...we lack players that play with discipline and smart football.

Thirdly, I have no idea how our OL is going to perform in this offense. I can't even fathom it right now.

Fourthly, Mike Harley will get his and perform well, but the number of deep throws requires somebody to step the fvck up and be consistent snap to snap. Lots of deep balls that end up in contested catch situations...I really only think Michael Redding is built for this and he's still a work in progress. Also, with the number of routes that require integrity to get someone open...I'm unsure who in the WR can step up and do this. This room has been so full of drama and me first players over the years, that our WR3, WR4, and WR5 need to STFU and run their routes like they are getting the ball even if they know they aren't getting it. If you've ever seen Mike Leach's offense at its worst, its when his WRs get in their feelings and don't run their complimentary routes like they are the primary read. Can make an offense like this look so bad.

Advertisement
@HighSeas, @BoxingRobes
Would you call the run game simplistic? Does it show some variation and allow for defensive weaknesses/issues to be exploited as the game goes on?
We have,and should always be able to get, good backs and I want them to eat.

Advertisement
It’s going to be incumbent on Lashlee to let Manny know that it’s his offense to run and to not force seniority playing. Let the beat man win, if it’s truly an open competition I think the WR’s will have no choice but to run better routes and catch the **** ball, or they’ll see the bench while others who can play. That in itself will make the competition; regardless of college year.

I bet Peyton’s salivating getting a chance to compete openly for the starters spot. I have zero faith in Jarren or N’Kosi being able to audible in this type of offense. I know Tate did play in it in HS but boy did he look completely lost when he got into the bowl game. I think it could be Matocha or a grad transfer QB running Lashlee’s offense for 2020.

Good write up OP. So are you saying we do not have a qb currently that can run this offense?

Advertisement
Great breakdown.. smu had better wr than us.. la tech covered our wr 1 on 1 with a lb.. they are overrated by our fan base..

We need to hit portal again.. maybe buffalo has a wr who can walk in first day and snatch everyone's plate again.. thank gawd after that we recruited a ton of new wr..

It’s going to be incumbent on Lashlee to let Manny know that it’s his offense to run and to not force seniority playing. Let the beat man win, if it’s truly an open competition I think the WR’s will have no choice but to run better routes and catch the **** ball, or they’ll see the bench while others who can play. That in itself will make the competition; regardless of college year.
Based on input from one of the more informed posters here, Manny didn't dictate anything to Enos about playing time or seniority. So I don't imagine he'd suddenly start now.

@HighSeas, @BoxingRobes
Would you call the run game simplistic? Does it show some variation and allow for defensive weaknesses/issues to be exploited as the game goes on?
We have,and should always be able to get, good backs and I want them to eat.

Yes it was extremely simplistic in this game. Early in the game they pulled the RG to run power QB draw in the red zone. The rest of the game it was inside zone (often RPOs) and zone read exclusively. When they were inches from the end zone they tried a QB sneak under center but it was so obvious that TCU submarined the interior and stopped it. Then they went to shotgun inside zone to punch it in. The run game is very limited in short yardage situations unless the QB is a true dual threat.

In this offense the run game is a function of numbers in the box as well as pace and how the defense is coping with it. If there are 6 in the box or the 7th guy isn't in position they ran the ball. If the defense wasn't set at the snap they ran the ball. So it's not an offense that uses the run game to set up the pass either with play action or drawing extra defenders with volume. It's an offense where the spread formations and design of the pass game are supposed to get the defense on its heels to set up the run game with easy positive yards.

I imagine they rep inside zone a crap ton in practice so the OL can execute it in their sleep. The OL really struggled with mental errors last year so perhaps the simplicity of this scheme is something they can excel in.

Also the SMU RBs did their job finding holes and running hard but they were not dynamic at all. Cam Harris would have done more after contact and Chaney and Knighton are better athletes that could break longer runs. But if we run this scheme against a defense like Miami that uses gap exchanges, run blitzes, slants, etc. then the reads and holes will be more challenging to find and could expose a lack of nuanced inside running. Think Frank Gore vs Graig Cooper in terms of skillset where the former creates space and yards in confined quarters while the latter needs defined open space to make plays.

Inside zone is all Richt ran in 2018.

Overexaggeration. But you're right that we ran it a lot and it wasn't successful.

The key will be a successful pass game generating the pace and safety looks to make the run game efficient.

Last edited:

Scheme staples

Excellent analysis 👍🏽

Advertisement
Back