Influential South Florida players

Been saying it forever. Take Treon and then let Ice work for us in the community. You can either try to steamroll the community, take your chances, and likely fail, or you can play chess.

Anyone that's ever been successful at anything for a prolonged period of time knows the answer.

Pretty much. UF has never had much success in S. Florida but I wish they would play ball too.

Don't get it twisted, despite reports Ice has lot of love for Miami. But his son is at FSU and you're **** right he wants to surround him with as much talent as possible. While he obviously isn't pushing dudes to FSU, when asked he's been telling kids to go there, stay together, and play with Treon and the rest of those dudes who grew up together. Now Treon is FSU's biggest recruiter and all those dudes trying to play together. Kids recruiting each other will always be a stronger pull than coaches. They know who the ballas are and they all wanna win, so a pitch from a local stud will carry a lot of weight, that's exactly what's happening.

It's become very clear that FSU is playing chess while UF and Miami is playing checkers. FSU ain't guaranteeing Treon that he'll be a QB, even Treon has said that. But why not give him the opportunity? He's said he's willing to move if it doesn't work out. I don't understand the hard stance. Either he keeps improving and you get a stud or he doesn't and he moves. T-Rob tried to get Muschamp to offer him and he wouldn't budge on him playing another position, now they're chasing Winky Flowers and it might be too late. You ain't gotta lie, but play the game.

Advertisement
This thread is just more BS hogwash excuses for getting out-recruited.

You all sound like cry babies. You come up with every single excuse imaginable for why we lose kids except for the fact that we got out-recruited.

Now you're all trying to use the excuse that South Florida kids are "followers" so we have to recruit their leader in order to land them. Just stop with the nonsense. It's ridiculous.

LOL @ Floyd Mayweather over here thinking there is actually such a thing as getting "out-recruited". Okay, sir.

"Excuses"? I'm not excusing anything. If anything, it's me being critical of what I see to be insufficient results. It's discussion about ways to potentially remedy that. Stop with the name-calling, confrontational ****. Make a point if you have one to make.

This thread is just more BS hogwash excuses for getting out-recruited.

You all sound like cry babies. You come up with every single excuse imaginable for why we lose kids except for the fact that we got out-recruited.

Now you're all trying to use the excuse that South Florida kids are "followers" so we have to recruit their leader in order to land them. Just stop with the nonsense. It's ridiculous.

It's not really a 'follower's thing...and its not exclusive to Miami. This applies to all schools.

Recruits know who all the best ballas are and they want to win. It's about identifying the leaders and guys who rally other recruits. For example that guy was Tebow for UF in 06'. He had dudes like Harvin and Spikes who could have gone anywhere rallying behind him...they said flat out that they were going wherever he went.

As far as S. Florida recruiting goes it seems that Treon is that dude for a segment of players and Cook is that dude for another segment of players. When Cook was committed to UF all those dudes wanted to go to UF. Now most of them are gonna go with him to FSU along with Treon. It's not really a 'follower' thing, most of those dudes recognize those players as elite talents (especially Cook) and want to align themselves with other ballas.

Advertisement
Al Golden admitted himself after last year's recruiting debacle that he was still learning the dynamics of South Florida. Looks to me like he's still learning. As I've said a million times, despite the risk of all **** breaking loose if Treon harris ended up losing the QB battle, Golden should have offered that kid, ESPECIALLY over a kid from Alabama. I've heard the reasons given for why not, but to me that's just a scary *** losers mentality.

I really think our biggest disadvantage s our home attendance. It is awful. If u were a big time player, would you want to play in front of our sparse crowds. We wait every 2 years for the FSU home game to get a packed house, and then there are an awful lot of Nole fans in the crowd, but at least the joint is rocking.

I really think our biggest disadvantage s our home attendance. It is awful. If u were a big time player, would you want to play in front of our sparse crowds. We wait every 2 years for the FSU home game to get a packed house, and then there are an awful lot of Nole fans in the crowd, but at least the joint is rocking.

You are Johnny-on-the-spot to insult Miami and praise FSU. Doubt you last long.

Advertisement
Been saying it forever. Take Treon and then let Ice work for us in the community. You can either try to steamroll the community, take your chances, and likely fail, or you can play chess.

Anyone that's ever been successful at anything for a prolonged period of time knows the answer.

Pretty much. UF has never had much success in S. Florida but I wish they would play ball too.

Don't get it twisted, despite reports Ice has lot of love for Miami. But his son is at FSU and you're **** right he wants to surround him with as much talent as possible. While he obviously isn't pushing dudes to FSU, when asked he's been telling kids to go there, stay together, and play with Treon and the rest of those dudes who grew up together. Now Treon is FSU's biggest recruiter and all those dudes trying to play together. Kids recruiting each other will always be a stronger pull than coaches. They know who the ballas are and they all wanna win, so a pitch from a local stud will carry a lot of weight, that's exactly what's happening.

It's become very clear that FSU is playing chess while UF and Miami is playing checkers. FSU ain't guaranteeing Treon that he'll be a QB, even Treon has said that. But why not give him the opportunity? He's said he's willing to move if it doesn't work out. I don't understand the hard stance. Either he keeps improving and you get a stud or he doesn't and he moves. T-Rob tried to get Muschamp to offer him and he wouldn't budge on him playing another position, now they're chasing Winky Flowers and it might be too late. You ain't gotta lie, but play the game.

problem is if it doesn't work out ppl in sfl will be crying bout how he wasnt given this or that. if it happens at FSU, its no big deal down here bc they're not the local school.

Al Golden admitted himself after last year's recruiting debacle that he was still learning the dynamics of South Florida. Looks to me like he's still learning. As I've said a million times, despite the risk of all **** breaking loose if Treon harris ended up losing the QB battle, Golden should have offered that kid, ESPECIALLY over a kid from Alabama. I've heard the reasons given for why not, but to me that's just a scary *** losers mentality.

I trust Golden's evaluations, but I don't get this. Treon film looks better, they are relatively the same size and, if needed, Treon could play another position. Rosier doesn't look like he has the athleticism to play any thing else. We passed on some decent QB's from SFL (Treon, Sean White, Winky)... I hope we don't end up looking like fools..

Last edited:
It's funny that Gus Malzahn offers White and not Rosier,and we do the opposite. Guess who I'm siding with?

The big question is whether it is worth it to offer a scholarship to a "leader type" is the opportunity cost involved. It would really worry me to offer a scholarship to a player that you know will never see the field just to get one or two more recruits. Why? Recruiting is not an exact science as is so there is a very big risk that the leader AND the follower(s) he brings will never see the field. You have that cycle happen for several years and you could end up with a lot dead weight on the roster. In addition, by wasting that scholarship on the "leader type" that you know will never see the field, you might not have a scholarship available to offer to another more talented recruit later in the cycle.

With there only being a finite numbers of scholarships due to NCAA regulations, I think the risks involved with wasting a scholarship on a player you know will never play outweigh the possible benefits. I would rather coaches just offer those players they think can contribute and recruit them as hard as they can.

A good topic and discussion to have, thanks for bringing it up Swag.

Advertisement
I think this pied piper thing is a little over blown. There is some truth to it, but at the end of the day... Dalvin Cook was NEVER COMING HERE. He committed to Clemson, UF and now FSU. While I understand that some butthurt SoFL recruits were in his ear saying "Miami Sucks" while the school they were committed too won 4 games and lost to Ga Southern at Home. His Brother from another mother, His real brother, his security guard all tried to sway him to UM and he wouldn't budge. So you mean to tell me that two guys he's been around with for a little while have more influence than his family (dalvin's mom even said "I'd like for my boys to stick together", but pleasing QW agenda/personal vendetta was more important. lol)?

IMO if ppl think the staff is a joke how much more of a joke will they look like when they are bowing to whim of every "elite" or "top" recruit in SoFL? I was more embarrassed last year with the MT fiasco getting left at the alter and then getting dissed in interviews than I am "losing" Sony, Cook,Lane,QW and anyone else you want to add to this list.

It's also this mentality that only SoFla kids are truly Elite and we have to go all in or bust on them. There are ballas everywhere some of our best Canes of all time weren't from down here. Sure today if I was making a High School All Star team those would be the guys on there. But in 2-3 years from now we don't know whose going to be a beast. It's easy to say today that Cook is going to be a beast but that's not a fact. What if he doesn't learn the protection schemes or playbook? What if FSU lands someone better and he is a career backup? what if he get's home sick? what if he gets into off the field trouble (could happen to anyone, see Famous ****)? What if he just isn't happy? There are too many factors to dedicate so much time worried about the guys who got away and thinking we won't be able to compete in 2-3 years because of it. I hate to beat a dead horse but the day we signed Ray Ray Armstrong was one of the happiest days in recruiting memory for me. I told everyone that would listen we have "the next sean taylor" once again not even close. Remember when Aldarius Johnson was going to be the next Andre Johnson? We've got to coach up the kids we do get. That's what this is about, coach these kids up and there won't be so much doubt about the ones we didn't get.

Last edited:
The big question is whether it is worth it to offer a scholarship to a "leader type" is the opportunity cost involved. It would really worry me to offer a scholarship to a player that you know will never see the field just to get one or two more recruits. Why? Recruiting is not an exact science as is so there is a very big risk that the leader AND the follower(s) he brings will never see the field. You have that cycle happen for several years and you could end up with a lot dead weight on the roster. In addition, by wasting that scholarship on the "leader type" that you know will never see the field, you might not have a scholarship available to offer to another more talented recruit later in the cycle.

With there only being a finite numbers of scholarships due to NCAA regulations, I think the risks involved with wasting a scholarship on a player you know will never play outweigh the possible benefits. I would rather coaches just offer those players they think can contribute and recruit them as hard as they can.

A good topic and discussion to have, thanks for bringing it up Swag.

Disagrees without being an *******, makes good points, backs it up coherently, complements me. Prototype message board post.

Treon is better than rosier he's a shifty dude who has that it factor and a legacy I would take him and let him at the very least a he'll of a scout team qb for 2 years. He may even win the position he'll he's a beast if you ask me

Last edited:
Advertisement

I trust Golden's evaluations, but I don't get this. Treon film looks better, they are relatively the same size and, if needed, Treon could play another position. Rosier doesn't look like he has the athleticism to play any thing else. We passed on some decent QB's from SFL (Treon, Sean White, Winky)... I hope we don't end up looking like fools..

i dont even think its Golden.

That qb pitch i think solely is on a guy from Miami in James Coley.

Dude is doing his "jimbo fisher" as Jimbo likes qbs that play/played baseball...Then the kid just looks like Russel Wilson...i dont mean how he plays...he looks like him. Guess they fell in love right there.

I was on the Treon bandwagon from jump...because the kid was up front and said he just wanted a "opportunity"...and he isnt opposed to switching positions as he has an older bro playing cb in the nfl...and he worked on db and wr during the summer.

Major clusterf*ck...we didnt have much a shot with Cook, Rudolph, Lane and comp....Cook committed to everyone but Barry University instead of um...Rudolph used a name sticker as an excuse to decommit..and Lane had Wilson and comp in his ear and he is kind of following the talent.

Wilson is a little ****. Haters are always going to hate regardless. I understand that you can give a kid a chance and let him fail. But all that is going to do is breed malcontent. What happens when you have an overly vocal leader who is not happy with his current status accompanied by all of his bias friends? That's called Mutiny. Who needs Wilson ****ing 2-3 years from now ruining another recruiting cycle and dividing the locker room.

I think all fans of recruiting get too caught up in the ebs and flows each year. Remember last January there was the whole booker t. scandal with kirland and MT and ppl thought we'd never get another player from Ice Harris? Fast Foward a year we have commits from 4 of their 5 best players (2015 Rb i think his name is tucker).

each year is it's own beast. And i'll say this if this class sticks together and is coached up properly to their full potential. It won't matter that FSU has Lane and Cook, when Thomas,Valentine,Jackson,AQM,Moten etc are blowing up their Oline.

I hate that at UM we are expected to bow down to these Kids, coaches and handlers. Other colleges have more discretionary $ than we do right now I get it. But I'd rather lose a "stud" who can't make a decision on what's best for him on his own. Than be controlled by handlers.
You can blame coaching or whatever you want. but how did that "monster" class from 08 work out. got their coach fired 0 championship 0 bowl wins. how did ray-ray, dye and vernon pan out at the U? Get the guys who want to be here without needing to be told to come here (arthur brown comes to mind, was his heart every really here?) and coach them up Period. There will always be more than enough talent for us to compete for championships without kissing the *** of every kid who runs 4.3 and taking players to get their "friends" to commit also.

You can always throw him off the team later. He will have much less infulence then. Just a loser that could not cut it.

Advertisement
Back