Influential South Florida players

TheSwagger1

Retired staff
Premium
Earlier in the year I supported not going after Quincy Wilson & Treon Harris. Quincy's clips just never impressed me at all, and I felt like Treon coming to UM and not winning the starting QB job was too big of a risk to take.... I felt that not having him would not be as bad as the fallout from Ice & the Luke faction of South Florida that would've made it a Ryan Collins thing had Olsen or Kaaya beat him out.

FSU taking Treon was masterful. Although Quincy/Cook/Lane fell apart, there's no doubt in my mind that Quincy was also a very vocal critic of Miami ALL YEAR LONG in the ears of these kids (and now, perhaps, Lane/Cook trickle to JC Jackson, etc.). Whether he convinced them to go to UF or not, he DID constantly stay in their ear about how much Miami "sucks", etc..... you can see this in the public on Twitter, and no telling how bad it was on an every day basis. I'm sure his father did too. There is no way that doesn't have an effect on these kids... you can see how easily swayed Cook (3 different commitments) and Lane (I'm following Cook) are, and these are supposedly the Alpha players. I vastly underestimated how much of a group of followers kids in SoFla are, I thought they had a more alpha, I'm-an-individual mentality, but I think I was wrong.

I hate the idea of taking kids who I don't think can play here, but after seeing this season unfold I'm more convinced than ever that 1-3 slots in every class should be utilized by identifying kids - as early as their FR and SO years - who are vocal, charismatic leaders in South Florida, and attacking them with everything we have early - whether they can play here or not.

It's much more palatable, for me, to break the "community" ice this way rather than dealing with all the scumbag handlers, and I think it's likely more effective too. If the kids can't play, you bring them here and give them a million shots in practice and it will become apparent that they can't hack it, so no one can cry foul when they don't win a spot. In the meantime you help sew up a REAL feeling of "Miami wants Miami kids and they're going to win NCs by recruiting Miami HS football kids".

We seem to have a big problem right now in that certain people in the community don't think it's cool to come to Miami, or that Miami doesn't want "Miami kids". We have to change that somehow, and I can't see us getting in bed with the mentors under the current setting.

Advertisement
Perception is a beast!! I agree, sometimes you may have to potentially waste a spot on someone with a big mouth, lol

I agree with most of your premise but at the end of the day, those kids are top ranked players in South Florida and if we were playing in national championship game they would come to UM no matter where Teron or Quincy played. They think those are better programs then UM because of the success that they have had more recently.. Im fine with that, we will have plenty of chances to make sure they know they made a mistake.

Yup and that influence has been ratcheted up times 1000 with the advent of social media and the 7 on 7. How else can you atribute a broward kid going to private school who probably lives in suburbs having any influence over a kid from the city of miami and even farther away and contrast in freaking homestead. These kids meet each other earlier, they know who the real ballers are and they are around each other that much more. They play together and form these super BIG 3 like bonds. (Remember the Lammons interview where Bluestien shad to correct him that his teammates were plantation and not Quincy and co.)

And also true that miami is not the cool school. Its almost, very closely to the point like the dolphins, where people just wait to see the failure and they can point and laugh. And with these last couple years we give them enough fodder and ammo. Nobody in south florida knows or gives a crap about Temple and turning around a 0 win team to a 7-5 team. You dont get respect for that in miami, we are bandwagon fans, while nationally some people respect that accomplishment in miami no one would care. So golden previous record carries no weight, with scandal he didnt really get the first class bump and now he has to find a way to win on field. He smoke n mirrored his way to 9 wins and has a good class, but getting blown out by Duke and then getting smoked and taunted by miami kids at UL is point and laugh worthy. All this while FSU has entered a really nice run.

The funny part about the lane/cook/Wilson deal is that cook was the one who got them to commit to UF
L
My guess is lane follows cook

Advertisement
We need to go full throttle on Jaquan Johnson and Tim Irvin this year. They are the leaders of SoFla in this class from what the insiders and reports say. I do agree with this theory though. Getting Duke a few years ago DEF helped with keeping the local studs home. Getting Jacory Harris in 08' basically solidified that entire class for Randy. There is some truth behind what you are saying thats for sure.

Wilson is a little *****. Haters are always going to hate regardless. I understand that you can give a kid a chance and let him fail. But all that is going to do is breed malcontent. What happens when you have an overly vocal leader who is not happy with his current status accompanied by all of his bias friends? That's called Mutiny. Who needs Wilson *****ing 2-3 years from now ruining another recruiting cycle and dividing the locker room.

I think all fans of recruiting get too caught up in the ebs and flows each year. Remember last January there was the whole booker t. scandal with kirland and MT and ppl thought we'd never get another player from Ice Harris? Fast Foward a year we have commits from 4 of their 5 best players (2015 Rb i think his name is tucker).

each year is it's own beast. And i'll say this if this class sticks together and is coached up properly to their full potential. It won't matter that FSU has Lane and Cook, when Thomas,Valentine,Jackson,AQM,Moten etc are blowing up their Oline.

I hate that at UM we are expected to bow down to these Kids, coaches and handlers. Other colleges have more discretionary $ than we do right now I get it. But I'd rather lose a "stud" who can't make a decision on what's best for him on his own. Than be controlled by handlers.
You can blame coaching or whatever you want. but how did that "monster" class from 08 work out. got their coach fired 0 championship 0 bowl wins. how did ray-ray, dye and vernon pan out at the U? Get the guys who want to be here without needing to be told to come here (arthur brown comes to mind, was his heart every really here?) and coach them up Period. There will always be more than enough talent for us to compete for championships without kissing the *** of every kid who runs 4.3 and taking players to get their "friends" to commit also.

Last edited:
I agree with a lot of that. Local legends seem to carry a lot of weight down in SoFla. That said I think a guy like Cook was just following the Ws. UF was the hot program in Florida when he committed there, FSU is now so that is where he ended up. Ws will change the perception.

Treon was a tricky case especially after last years BTW debacle. That said Treon has been respectful throughout the whole process. F Quincey and Chad for being disrespectful to the U the whole way, especially after Chad played here. He's a class A loser.

I think guys like Thomas and Yearby hold a lot of respect in the local community.

Wilson is a little *****. Haters are always going to hate regardless. I understand that you can give a kid a chance and let him fail. But all that is going to do is breed malcontent. What happens when you have an overly vocal leader who is not happy with his current status accompanied by all of his bias friends? That's called Mutiny. Who needs Wilson *****ing 2-3 years from now ruining another recruiting cycle and dividing the locker room.

I think all fans of recruiting get too caught up in the ebs and flows each year. Remember last January there was the whole booker t. scandal with kirland and MT and ppl thought we'd never get another player from Ice Harris? Fast Foward a year we have commits from 4 of their 5 best players (2015 Rb i think his name is tucker).

each year is it's own beast. And i'll say this if this class sticks together and is coached up properly to their full potential. It won't matter that FSU has Lane and Cook, when Thomas,Valentine,Jackson,AQM,Moten etc are blowing up their Oline.

I hate that at UM we are expected to bow down to these Kids, coaches and handlers. Other colleges have more discretionary $ than we do right now I get it. But I'd rather lose a "stud" who can't make a decision on what's best for him on his own. Than be controlled by handlers.
You can blame coaching or whatever you want. but how did that "monster" class from 08 work out. got their coach fired 0 championship 0 bowl wins. how did ray-ray, dye and vernon pan out at the U? Get the guys who want to be here without needing to be told to come here (arthur brown comes to mind, was his heart every really here?) and coach them up Period. There will always be more than enough talent for us to compete for championships without kissing the *** of every kid who runs 4.3 and taking players to get their "friends" to commit also.

2015-16 (he hasn't reclassified yet I don't think) is Mark Walton. Lots of good points

Advertisement
That's exactly what FSU is doing, and people clowned them for doing it too. Ain't so funny now is it?

Bottom line is its basically a no-risk strategy and you rack up in the process.

Wilson is a little ****. Haters are always going to hate regardless. I understand that you can give a kid a chance and let him fail. But all that is going to do is breed malcontent. What happens when you have an overly vocal leader who is not happy with his current status accompanied by all of his bias friends? That's called Mutiny. Who needs Wilson ****ing 2-3 years from now ruining another recruiting cycle and dividing the locker room.

THIS RIGHT HERE!!!! OUR 4 and 5 star studs from the Tri-county are laughing at the guy who started this thread.

**** FSU got Rudolph too according to Barry Jackson. Wouldnt be surprised if Lane ends up there too.

Agree with OP.

Advertisement
That's exactly what FSU is doing, and people clowned them for doing it too. Ain't so funny now is it?

I disagree with this as it applies to Miami. For FSU, it was a wise no-risk strategy. Well played by them. For Miami, as others have pointed out, there is a divide between some in the community and their perception of the school due to the Shannon firing. I think that the fear of a Kaaya beats out Treon in a close battle uprising is a real fear. As someone else pointed out, look at the result of the Jacory/Marve situation. Left us with 1 QB on the roster.

THIS RIGHT HERE!!!! OUR 4 and 5 star studs from the Tri-county are laughing at the guy who started this thread.

You can rah-rah it all you want, but Sony Michel, Dalvin Cook, Alex Collins, Treon Harris, Travis Rudolph, Ermon Lane, Johnnie Dixon, and Matthew Thomas make this a much more talented roster for a coaching staff that desperately needs gamebreakers. The bravado's great until you're sitting in front of the television watching Lousiville run a train on your favorite team and mock them the whole time.

Last edited:

What is FSU doing? Besides covering up rape etc

Advertisement

You can rah-rah it all you want, but Sony Michel, Dalvin Cook, Alex Collins, Treon Harris, Travis Rudolph, Ermon Lane, Johnnie Dixon, and Matthew Thomas make this a much more talented roster for a coaching staff that desperately needs gamebreakers. The bravado's great until you're sitting in front of the television watching Lousiville run a train on your favorite team and mock them the whole time.
How much damage do you think that did to the program form the perspective of recruits. Obviously it may impact this class. But I can imagine it left some sort of impression, and I'm not referring to the scoreboard but more the taunting.

What is FSU doing? Besides covering up rape etc

Based on being in Tallahassee when the announcement came out, I do not feel that the female was going to be given the benefit of any doubt in this circumstance. The focus on those in my presence, male and female, was on protecting their national championship quarterback more than anything else. These were not juveniles, but professionals of various ages and mostly all white.

Last edited:

Those kids wanted out of the area. We recruited them big time. Only one there we did not was Treon. We have 3 of his teammates and the best of the 4. Don't get it wrong would I have like to see these kids commit to us? Absolutely, however, I don't buy the conspiracy like some.

Can we see what happens with our program now that the NCAA clould is behind us for a FULL YEAR, before we start all this!!! We had most in on the currently list before the NCAA was cleared up. Let's see what we can do next year now that we don't have that any more.

How much damage do you think that did to the program form the perspective of recruits. Obviously it may impact this class. But I can imagine it left some sort of impression, and I'm not referring to the scoreboard but more the taunting.

About the same impact of coming to the internet or hearing read racist Luke and our fan base tell everyone our stadium, school, coaches and administration suck. You hear it enough, you start to think its true. Then you see Louisville beat us bad and there it is.

Just like when I was telling everyone Art Briles is not always a god of coaching, and then I watched UCF confirm it in his ***.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back