• Attention: Register today to view CanesInSight Ad-Free for 7 days.

Indoor Practice Facility Construction Photos

GPB

Recruit
I know the construction of the IPF has just started, but I thought these photos would be of interest, especially to anyone not familiar with the location of the IPF. The first photo shows the back of the Hecht Center and the Schwartz Center. Photos were taken yesterday from the 5th floor deck of the new Lennar Medical Center. The LMC is now the location of UM Sports Medicine and will be a lot better for all athletes than traveling downtown to the previous location at UHealth.

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

futurecane

Redshirt Freshman
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the part they are digging up the piece that will be left untouched?

The IPF will be covering the area currently occupied by the two artificial fields, at least according to the renderings. What gives?

TheOriginalCane

All American
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the part they are digging up the piece that will be left untouched?

The IPF will be covering the area currently occupied by the two artificial fields, at least according to the renderings. What gives?

Without seeing the construction plans, it might be hard to say, but allow me to hazard a guess.

No building can just be constructed on its own site. The IPF is bounded on 3 sides by the Hecht, the Wellness Center, and a canal. I would imagine that they need the practice field as a construction staging area, and then they will restore the football field after construction is complete.

FIUMCane

Junior
Original cane is right...if they go with precast construction, chances are they will be pouring the panels on site them erect them when ready. Need space for that plus equipment.. I see the team practicing on the intramural fields this summer and fall..

Original cane is right...if they go with precast construction, chances are they will be pouring the panels on site them erect them when ready. Need space for that plus equipment.. I see the team practicing on the intramural fields this summer and fall..

If it were pre-cast construction it is highly unlikely that they will be poured on-site, in fact I would say that there is zero chance that they would pour the pre-cast panels on-site.

FIUMCane

Junior

If it were pre-cast construction it is highly unlikely that they will be poured on-site, in fact I would say that there is zero chance that they would pour the pre-cast panels on-site.

I hear ya...ore cast is usually poured off site but the might need the space still when they're delivered. Not sure what they're doing since I haven't seen the drawings or specifications. Just guessing on what's going on.

GD4

Recruit
with a span for the width of the field this has to be a pre-engineered metal building....at least for structural roof system & upper columns. The appurtenance facilities tied to the main IPF structure are a different story.

gsadowski

Recruit
Part of the plan is to replace the grass practice fields as well as build the IPF. My cousin works for the company that is supplying the fill for the project. And now I finally made a post after being here for a long time as a lurker...

Gatorhater

All-American
Part of the plan is to replace the grass practice fields as well as build the IPF. My cousin works for the company that is supplying the fill for the project. And now I finally made a post after being here for a long time as a lurker...

And it was an "insider" post. Well, inside the contractor. Good start.

apfenny3

Freshman
The IPF will cover the turf fields. The grass fields are being regraded and flipped to run the opposite direction so they will have full fields with endzones