In the late 70's....

Burger King gave away free Miami Hurricane football tickets. Did anyone here use those or become a fan due to those tickets. Also in the 80's for 100 dollars you could buy a season end zone pass that allowed 2 adults and 3 students entry but they never checked if the 3 students were adults and you found a seat where ever you could and many moved into the main part of the stadium since attendance was rather slim.

Now the Chick-Fil-A kickoff game tickets start at 287 dollars, how times have changed yet our Canes are worth today's prices. Fortunately the first game at Hard Rock the tickets start at 27 dollars but its Appalachian. State Season can't get here fast enough.

Attended my very first home game with those Burger King promotional tickets given to Hialeah Optimist football club of which I was coaching the 115s at the time. Mike Rodriquez and Mark Richt alternated at QB and I was psyched to watch Don Bailey and a few other fellow HML Trojans teammates and classmates play. If I recall, UM beat Louisville 28-10ish....not a spectacular game and at the time some deal was made about one of UL's QBs being Stu Stram, whose dad had been a UM assistant many years prior and longtime HC of the KC Chiefs....looking back though, it was interesting how many good players came from that UL team. Players such as Otis Wilson (Bears), Joe Jacoby (Redskins), Ron Davenport (Fins), Frank Minniefield (Browns), Mark Clayton (Fins) and I believe another LB who played several years with the Browns...Jacoby I remembered well because he was a DLman at the time and was huge, even my parents asked me who was that dude. Anyways, had a great time at the game and was one of the reasons I became a fan.

Advertisement
I lived on the other part of the country during much of the '70's. Had very little info on the team, much less attended games. A friend who bought season tickets in the '70's went to take his kids and it was so bad he would fall asleep at the games. He stayed active and later became an active contributor and participant in booster activities. I think the old name used to be the Federation or something.
Burger King's promo was great; but I prefer the current Krispy Kreme COVID vax doughnut promo.
yes. Go every day.

Advertisement
Attended my very first home game with those Burger King promotional tickets given to Hialeah Optimist football club of which I was coaching the 115s at the time. Mike Rodriquez and Mark Richt alternated at QB and I was psyched to watch Don Bailey and a few other fellow HML Trojans teammates and classmates play. If I recall, UM beat Louisville 28-10ish....not a spectacular game and at the time some deal was made about one of UL's QBs being Stu Stram, whose dad had been a UM assistant many years prior and longtime HC of the KC Chiefs....looking back though, it was interesting how many good players came from that UL team. Players such as Otis Wilson (Bears), Joe Jacoby (Redskins), Ron Davenport (Fins), Frank Minniefield (Browns), Mark Clayton (Fins) and I believe another LB who played several years with the Browns...Jacoby I remembered well because he was a DLman at the time and was huge, even my parents asked me who was that dude. Anyways, had a great time at the game and was one of the reasons I became a fan.
It was Mike Rodrigue. No Z. Later became one of the Average White Boys at WR.

Some months ago DaytonaCane posted about Hank Stram, who was OC for UM when her late husband was our starting fullback. She said he was an outstanding coach. That was in the late ‘50’s.

I was a Dolphin fan who had to live in the D.C. all though those Redskin glory years and Jacoby was a stud and mainstay of the Washington OL for years.

It was Mike Rodrigue. No Z. Later became one of the Average White Boys at WR.

Some months ago DaytonaCane posted about Hank Stram, who was OC for UM when her late husband was our starting fullback. She said he was an outstanding coach. That was in the late ‘50’s.
First wildcat I saw...I remember a game where he lined up at QB on red zone and I’m pretty sure it was Kelly who split out at WR. Mike ran it in for TD. Was it against Penn State?

Advertisement
I wasn’t born yet when they were doing the free ticket giveaways but my mom did buy the west end zone family package for season tickets in the 90’s. It was 2 adults, 3 children for $150 or something ridiculously cheap like that. My family wasn’t exactly wealthy so that was a big deal for me. I remember getting to the stadium hours before a big game to try to get the best seats in the general admission west end zone. At the time you could bring food and drinks in to the stadium so we’d have sandwiches and sodas in the bleachers while the players were doing warmups on the field.

christmas vacation GIF

I took my kids during those inexpensive days and now they are big fans, my grandkids not very interested, sad.

Advertisement
Every Canes game I've ever gone to was halfway/majority empty except FSU. Seeing Hard Rock full on TV for the ND & VT games in 2017 was beautiful

Advertisement
Every Canes game I've ever gone to was halfway/majority empty except FSU. Seeing Hard Rock full on TV for the ND & VT games in 2017 was beautiful
I’ve been to every home game from 2002-2019 and there was maybe one or two games where the stadium was less than half full. It’s a very rare occasion that there’s under 35,000 attendees. Besides 2020 covid restrictions of course.

Hialeah Optimist always had a really good football team when I was a kid. I remember having some epic battles with them when I played optimist for Miami Beach and then later on when I played for Norland Optimist after we moved to North Miami. Good times for sure. Back when Burger King had good burgers and chocolate shakes!! Burger King was usually the spot after a win!!

Go Canes!!

Advertisement
Back