In-state recruiting comparison

We should absolutely own STA HS and be #1 at IMG. Also, we should be able to hand pick Dade and Broward taken. Hate playing 2nd fiddle to Bama, etc in SoFL. I get we will always lose a kid or 2 that just feel (or guardians feel) the need to get away from Miami. Think about it. If we could get 12 of top 15 from Dade/Broward. 3 of top 5 from PBC + 3 of top 5 from IMG every year and around 7 top kids nationally, we'd be set year after year. Kids this year left because of fear of poor coaching. How many years now have some of Bamas best players been from SoFl? We need some to proudly wear the U

Let's also consider this...

In today's big and and instant social media world, these kids get easily lured outside SoFL for adventure and new experiences.

Coupled with Miami being just awful on offense and barely middle of the road W-Ls, those factors make it even harder to recruit and retain the best talent from home. What makes it even more frustrating is the staff's inability to get the right out of area athletes to commit--by taking advantage of their sense of adventure and new experiences.

Zip and Summerall are good examples. Gainesville is a better location than Miami or a better program? I think we all know the answers to both.

Miami has firmly grabbed the mantle of medocrity.

No change in results until James AND Richt are removed.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Disagree.

In today's big and and instant social media world, these kids get easily lured outside SoFL for adventure and new experiences.

Coupled with Miami being just awful on offense and barely middle of the road W-Ls, those factors make it even harder to recruit and retain the best talent from home. What makes it even more frustrating is the staff's inability to get the right out of area athletes to commit--by taking advantage of their sense of adventure and new experiences.

Zip and Summerall are good examples. Gainesville is a better location than Miami or a better program? I think we all know the answers to both.

Miami has firmly grabbed the mantle of medocrity.

No change in results until James AND Richt are removed.
I think we actually agree more than we disagree. Thanks. Good post.

To be fair, the IMG kids should be listed in the state they grew up and not in Florida. Nolan Smith would be the best player in that state and he signed with UGA. Getting 3 of the top 8 players in the state is huge for them and something that Miami should be able to do every year.
3/8 with Nolan Smith. Which would still leave them 4/21 overall. In today’s age with social media, it’s easier for kids to go to school away from home. I think everybody needs to recruit nationally and we need get started before we get behind

I’m not even including Richt and our administration right now. Just stating that locking down SFL was and never will be realistic imo. Zero loyalty from the majority of these kids, so we shouldn’t be loyal to them any more than they are to us. It doesn’t matter who the coach is, putting an over-emphasis on SFL kids will always yield poor results. They will just continue to leave us high and dry when the bagman comes calling at the 11th hour.
You posted an article about top Georgia kids not signing with UGA...
Then turn around and say South Florida kids "aren't loyal" for doing the same exact thing.

I guess Georgia kids lack the same loyalty that South Florida kids do?

Our ****-poor recruiting can be attributed to quite a few things.

1. We're ****-poor on the field. South Florida kids, more than any other area in the country, look at football like a business. It's been instilled in them since little league. They do not want to be part of a losing program. Call it front-running all you want, but dawgs want to play with dawgs...not a bunch of ducks. As I've said before, the general consensus around here is that "Miami's trash". You want to change that perception? Stop losing to teams like Virginia and Duke.

2. Our staff simply isn't that good at recruiting. Nothing more to say about that. Some staffs are better than others. Ours are amateurs.

3. We make a lot of questionable evaluations. We'll ignore a local stud that has offers from teams like Clemson, then travel out of state and offer a marginal kid instead. Not only is this a bad move personnel-wise, but it creates some animosity with the local kids and coaches. I'm not saying Miami should offer every South Florida kid who plays decent ball, but if Clemson or Oklahoma is offering a Dade/Broward kid and Miami isn't, it makes us look like we don't know WTF we're doing.

Advertisement
You posted an article about top Georgia kids not signing with UGA...
Then turn around and say South Florida kids "aren't loyal" for doing the same exact thing.

I guess Georgia kids lack the same loyalty that South Florida kids do?
Exactly. UGA has the same issue yet still signs a top class. Just shows you don’t need to stay local to sign a top class. We won’t be on that level until we win, but there’s no reason we are struggling as much as we have been. When the kids play games, move on and find talent elsewhere. Gotta re-gain leverage somehow

1. We're ****-poor on the field. South Florida kids, more than any other area in the country, look at football like a business. It's been instilled in them since little league. They do not want to be part of a losing program. Call it front-running all you want, but dawgs want to play with dawgs...not a bunch of ducks. As I've said before, the general consensus around here is that "Miami's trash". You want to change that perception? Stop losing to teams like Virginia and Duke.

2. Our staff simply isn't that good at recruiting. Nothing more to say about that. Some staffs are better than others. Ours are amateurs.

3. We make a lot of questionable evaluations. We'll ignore a local stud that has offers from teams like Clemson, then travel out of state and offer a marginal kid instead. Not only is this a bad move personnel-wise, but it creates some animosity with the local kids and coaches. I'm not saying Miami should offer every South Florida kid who plays decent ball, but if Clemson or Oklahoma is offering a Dade/Broward kid and Miami isn't, it makes us look like we don't know WTF we're doing.
Completely agree. Going after local studs isn’t a bad strategy, but you can’t wait until the 11th hour just to get left high and dry. We put wayyy too much stock into them telling coaches what they want to hear. I just can’t figure out why they never learn from it.

Exactly. UGA has the same issue yet still signs a top class. Just shows you don’t need to stay local to sign a top class. We won’t be on that level until we win, but there’s no reason we are struggling as much as we have been. When the kids play games, move on and find talent elsewhere. Gotta re-gain leverage somehow
I get what you're saying.
I don't think you're wrong, but if we keep looking like doo-doo on the field it's gonna be hard to sign legit talent ANYWHERE.

Some of our best players right now are from out-of-state.

Last edited:
I get what you're saying.
I don't think you're wrong, but if we keep looking like doo-doo on the field it's gonna be hard to sign legit talent ANYWHERE.

Some of best players right now are from out-of-state.
Oh, no doubt. My point is that if we just continue to lock-in on in-state kids we are guaranteed to fail until the on-field performance improves.

Advertisement
We saw how the one year of success brought up the interest in the program and it looked like we had chance with some top kids.Then Richt opens up His sHT show and those same top kids aren’t stupid They looked at this garbage and didnt want anything to do with it.I can’t say I blame them.

When/If we start winning on a consistent basis we will start keeping some of these top kids home.Your never going to get all of them.Ive always said as have others” you win at Miami and so many top kids will want in you won’t have enough scholarships “ and I still believe that.But they aren’t coming to play on some trash team with no end in site.

They wouldn’t and didnt flock to Bama when they were sHT ,didn’t flock to Clemson when they were down and they won’t do it at any school that’s putting a garbage product out there.

Today it’s more about playing time.Its about playing for a winner and getting to the league.You wonder why Bama,Clemson and OSU have studs 3-4deep? It’s because they’re winning and in the CFB playoffs every year.

Even with the turnover chain and th excitement of a top defense the kids aren’t stupid.They know they can’t win with this offense so we lose offensive AND defensive players.

If we are ever going to compete again Morks got to go cause he’s not giving in and bringing in an OC.And his system ain’t gonna work.Its outdated.So here’s where we will be....stuck with the Dukes and UVA’s of the world.Until they make changes while we have Mork and leave us in their wake.

We saw how the one year of success brought up the interest in the program and it looked like we had chance with some top kids.Then Richt opens up His sHT show and those same top kids aren’t stupid They looked at this garbage and didnt want anything to do with it.I can’t say I blame them.

When/If we start winning on a consistent basis we will start keeping some of these top kids home.Your never going to get all of them.Ive always said as have others” you win at Miami and so many top kids will want in you won’t have enough scholarships “ and I still believe that.But they aren’t coming to play on some trash team with no end in site.

They wouldn’t and didnt flock to Bama when they were sHT ,didn’t flock to Clemson when they were down and they won’t do it at any school that’s putting a garbage product out there.

Today it’s more about playing time.Its about playing for a winner and getting to the league.You wonder why Bama,Clemson and OSU have studs 3-4deep? It’s because they’re winning and in the CFB playoffs every year.

Even with the turnover chain and th excitement of a top defense the kids aren’t stupid.They know they can’t win with this offense so we lose offensive AND defensive players.

If we are ever going to compete again Morks got to go cause he’s not giving in and bringing in an OC.And his system ain’t gonna work.Its outdated.So here’s where we will be....stuck with the Dukes and UVA’s of the world.Until they make changes while we have Mork and leave us in their wake.
Even if we were winning like Bama idk if we would keep most of the top kids home. Auburn still pulls a strong share of AL kids. Last year Clemson pulled 5-star OT Jackson Carman (17th OVR player) out of OSUs backyard and 4-star WR Justyn Ross (45th OVR player) away from Bama and Trevor Lawrence was pulled out of GA. Most of these kids aren’t loyal to anybody but themselves. It’s just how their generation is, and that’s just the 2018 class.

Like I said you’re never going to keep them all but you’d keep more than ZERO which Is about what we are getting now when it comes to 5 star kids..

Yup.

1. Miami is trash on the field.
2. Miami is trash at recruiting.
3. Miami is trash at evaluating.

Pretty much sums up the past 15 years of Miami football and echos the drum I've been beating on here and IRL for years. We really f'n suck and it doesn't matter the coach...they are all the same.

Miami is trash.

Advertisement
We got absolutely owned by bobby bowden and others year after year in recruiting these kids just want to get out and its been that way forever

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back