In our 3 losses, the whole is less than the sum of our parts

We're not as talented as we think...

Most of the talent on this team is on the Defensive side of the ball, particularly on the DL & in the LB corp...

The Secondary is fairly average, with the exception of Elder & Quan... But, Jenkins, Carter, Red, Colbert & the rest just aren't that good.
(Although, Young shows promise to be a solid Corner in the future once he gets more experience)

On Offense, Coley is good & Richards will be great, Joku & Herndon are good, Yearby & Walton are solid, not great but not terrible either.

The OL is simply horrendous, one of/if not the worst in D1 football & Kaaya on his best day is average, he's not great by any standard.

We should still be able to win more games with that though, because teams with far less talent still figure out how to get it done on a weekly basis, but the bottom line is, it's going to take at least another 2 recruiting classes before we really can compete in the ACC.

I'm struggling to understand WTF happened to this OL. Same exact OL as last year and last year they were not even half as bad as they have looked this year. Is the scheme exposing their flaws? Have they regresssed due to inferior coaching from Searels?

??? they were straight trash last year and more of the same this year.

We allowed 19 sacks all of last year or 1.46/game. That was good enough for 34th in the country. Pretty **** solid if you ask me. After last night we are sitting at 74th in the country in terms of sacks allowed.

Stats like that are very random and you certainly can't rely on them mid season.

Advertisement
Well, same O-line as last year so hard to explain regression. Clearly though the line play in combination with Kaaya's mobility limitations is not working. It's impossible to change the O-line very much, I think we should change our QB to fit what we can do.

Out of the 8 sacks last night I think at least 4 were completely on Kaaya, and probably the rest were indirectly on Kaaya. When you watch teams attack us in pass rush they have zero regard for Kaaya's mobility. Watch the twists and slants that VT was doing and there was no regard for Kaaya slipping out. It's such a stark contrast in having our D-lineman forced to go head on versus the O-line because they have to maintain lanes to contain mobile QBs. Besides escape-ability, the threat alone slows down the rush significantly.

KAAYA won 7 games last year, rosier won 1. he is on pace to win 7 games again. regression or reality?

Kaaya lost 5. Rosier lost 0.

Lu, I'd venture that when you're trying to grasp at things, constantly adjusting just to have stuff that works, anticipating or thinking 3 steps ahead of the defense is too much to ask. Richt is playing catchup just to establish rhythm on offense - tough to start jumping 3 steps ahead when it's such a struggle to jump one step ahead.

FWIW, we are easily talented enough as a team to be 10-2.

A step ahead would have been to understand that everyone, including us idiots on message boards, could see Kaaya was successful with 4Vert last year. We hadn't yet effectively used it. We then went to it as our bread and butter against VT and Bud Foster? 6 man blitzes!

I get that Richt is genuinely trying anything. That's a positive sign. I've watched what they did in practice, what they hadn't yet shown up to FSU and how they grabbed at whatever. Then, because of player limitations, the adjustments since.

We're linear right now. Last week, we threw inside the hashes, but didn't go vertical enough. This week, we did. If we continue with the "fix what we missed last week trend," we'll add in more passes to RBs and intermediate crosses against ND. If you're ND, you play zone. Round and round we go. And, I agree it's because we're so out of sorts we're grasping.

Completely agree...one game it's I-formation power football, next game shotgun verticals, next exclusively passes to TE's, it's like Ricth doesn't know what the **** to do with these guys. Line up in the "I" Kayaa can't make throws on play action and recievers are not catching the balls. Line up in spread Kayaa walks into sacks and is erratic with his accuracy. Pass to TE's and they drop passes. When it comes to the run game guys running into the backs of the o-line or either the line is getting no push.

We're not as talented as we think...

Most of the talent on this team is on the Defensive side of the ball, particularly on the DL & in the LB corp...

The Secondary is fairly average, with the exception of Elder & Quan... But, Jenkins, Carter, Red, Colbert & the rest just aren't that good.
(Although, Young shows promise to be a solid Corner in the future once he gets more experience)

On Offense, Coley is good & Richards will be great, Joku & Herndon are good, Yearby & Walton are solid, not great but not terrible either.

The OL is simply horrendous, one of/if not the worst in D1 football & Kaaya on his best day is average, he's not great by any standard.

We should still be able to win more games with that though, because teams with far less talent still figure out how to get it done on a weekly basis, but the bottom line is, it's going to take at least another 2 recruiting classes before we really can compete in the ACC.

I'm struggling to understand WTF happened to this OL. Same exact OL as last year and last year they were not even half as bad as they have looked this year. Is the scheme exposing their flaws? Have they regresssed due to inferior coaching from Searels?

??? they were straight trash last year and more of the same this year.

We allowed 19 sacks all of last year or 1.46/game. That was good enough for 34th in the country. Pretty **** solid if you ask me. After last night we are sitting at 74th in the country in terms of sacks allowed.

It's hard to get sacked when you're throwing bubble screens all day. And the picture posted earlier (to demonstrate how immobile Kayaa is), show both tackles getting ***** slapped by the defensive ends and about to break free. I remember that play and Kayaa had just completed his drop when they converged on him. He didn't have a chance.

I'm not giving Kayaa a pass but it's getting tiring hearing all this mobility QB nonsense. Last night, I saw him consciously trying to move in the pocket but it's like moving around in a phone booth. Not only that I also noticed Walton not even trying to whiff on an inside LB blitz. He just ran past the blitzing LB on his route while the LB was humping his QB.

Kaaya goes down if a defensive player touches him, no mobility at all, kid will never play pro ball. Also running backs are incredibly slow and Wr and TE drop balls that do get to them. Team got a long way to go.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back