In our 3 losses, the whole is less than the sum of our parts

With these players, we need an approach that offers more of a cushion.

What would you suggest?

Anticipating that our opponents are going to take what we're not doing well, guess that we're going to try something to fix that, and be a step ahead of that.

If we're on a message board all of last week talking about how Kaaya was better running 4Vert under Coley, I think it was fair to assume Bud Foster and his staff were doing the same. They played defense as if they knew we were going to run that stuff every time we got into an obvious pass situation. Worse, we did. And, worse yet, our guys are just not good enough to play against that disadvantage. Kaaya's limitations are such that we need to build an offense that keeps defenses on their heels. When we threw on 1st down, as an example, we were seemingly better off (though I don't have the stats right now).

Richt is in a tough spot with the limitations. It's not all on him, but these guys ain't helping each other.

Not sure throwing in first down is the answer either. Like you said one setback and the drive is over. We have had drives killed because of a first down sack, or simple pass dropped by Njoku, or an inaccurate throw by Kaaya in every game. Richt has tried that.

Another thing that hurts this offense is Kaaya's inability to play under center. Our running game out of the shotgun is atrocious but we have no choice because Kaaya is so slow and uncomfortable under center that teams know there is no we will be passing out of that look. Unless we have a mobile QB going 100% shotgun isn't going work.

Advertisement
I will say this game really made me more unhappy with Richt. Against FSU and UNC we only lost by one possession.

We're not as talented as we think...

Most of the talent on this team is on the Defensive side of the ball, particularly on the DL & in the LB corp...

The Secondary is fairly average, with the exception of Elder & Quan... But, Jenkins, Carter, Red, Colbert & the rest just aren't that good.
(Although, Young shows promise to be a solid Corner in the future once he gets more experience)

On Offense, Coley is good & Richards will be great, Joku & Herndon are good, Yearby & Walton are solid, not great but not terrible either.

The OL is simply horrendous, one of/if not the worst in D1 football & Kaaya on his best day is average, he's not great by any standard.

We should still be able to win more games with that though, because teams with far less talent still figure out how to get it done on a weekly basis, but the bottom line is, it's going to take at least another 2 recruiting classes before we really can compete in the ACC.

Fair. I don't know how talented most think we are. We're likely a 10-2 team if we get more out of what's available. We're likely a 9-3 team if we get about what's there and don't suffer injuries. We're an 8-4 team otherwise. Below that, it's scary. I'm already concerned. Not by the loss to UNC or VT. By the loss to FSU and the way we lost to UNC. Have to look at the context of each game.

So far, I think FSU is by far the most concerning loss. If we'd be 6-1 with a loss to VT, I'd be just as excited as prior to the season. If we'd be 5-2 with a win over FSU right now, it happens. If we'd be 5-2 with a squeezed-out win against UNC, no big problem. Losing all of them, and especially to FSU when we walked into that game in relative health, is concerning.

I mentioned a lot of this 12 days ago here: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/october-20th/103134

From the questions posed there, Richt is apparently willing to adjust, no doubt. But, hasn't been ahead of what D-Coordinators guess he'll do.
Players have seemingly bought in and are putting it all out there.
The glimpse of the next couple years...

Lu, I'd venture that when you're trying to grasp at things, constantly adjusting just to have stuff that works, anticipating or thinking 3 steps ahead of the defense is too much to ask. Richt is playing catchup just to establish rhythm on offense - tough to start jumping 3 steps ahead when it's such a struggle to jump one step ahead.

FWIW, we are easily talented enough as a team to be 10-2.

VT had one of the worst rosters in the coastal. A JUCO QB and hardly any good defensive backs lime they usually have.

AND THEY BEAT THE **** OUT OF US!

Simply put- we hired the wrong guy.

Advertisement
Lu, I'd venture that when you're trying to grasp at things, constantly adjusting just to have stuff that works, anticipating or thinking 3 steps ahead of the defense is too much to ask. Richt is playing catchup just to establish rhythm on offense - tough to start jumping 3 steps ahead when it's such a struggle to jump one step ahead.

FWIW, we are easily talented enough as a team to be 10-2.

A step ahead would have been to understand that everyone, including us idiots on message boards, could see Kaaya was successful with 4Vert last year. We hadn't yet effectively used it. We then went to it as our bread and butter against VT and Bud Foster? 6 man blitzes!

I get that Richt is genuinely trying anything. That's a positive sign. I've watched what they did in practice, what they hadn't yet shown up to FSU and how they grabbed at whatever. Then, because of player limitations, the adjustments since.

We're linear right now. Last week, we threw inside the hashes, but didn't go vertical enough. This week, we did. If we continue with the "fix what we missed last week trend," we'll add in more passes to RBs and intermediate crosses against ND. If you're ND, you play zone. Round and round we go. And, I agree it's because we're so out of sorts we're grasping.

VT had one of the worst rosters in the coastal. A JUCO QB and hardly any good defensive backs lime they usually have.

AND THEY BEAT THE **** OUT OF US!

Simply put- we hired the wrong guy.

Logan Thomas likes this

We're continuously adjusting. I appreciate that. It's a clear indicator we feel we've previously made mistakes. We just can't get the timing right against what the opposing defense is throwing at us. Even when we do, then the other elements fail somehow:

1. Poor playcall, play fails.
2. The perfect playcall, yet the OL (hit or big miss) fails and our play fails.
3. The correct playcall, OL gives a very solid pocket, QB makes throw, WR drops.
4. Correct playcall, OL gives solid pocket, QB doesn't step in or slide and helps defense get sack or hurry.

Lu - always appreciate your posts and insight. I agree that there's a ton of little things adding up.

But I've noticed in the last couple weeks you haven't addressed the RB's in the problems with our offense.

Walton continues to be ineffective, Yearby continues to outplay him, and Gus continues to not be used at all. But Walton continues to get the majority of the carries.

It seems like a very simple & obvious switch, to give Walton's carries to Yearby & Gus, but what's your feelings on that? It would seem like it would have a big help on the passing game if we played RB's who improved our running game.

Probably because I think there are bigger issues. But, yes, it's an issue. If we're going to keep grabbing plays from the current bag, I think it's easy to see we need Yearby's ability to make a guy miss. Whoever said that his "big gainer" was when the game was already over is lost. If we're going to use Walton, it should be in what I'd prefer to see overall:

- Give up trying to run your preferred system
- Build a playbook around Kaaya and his limitations
- Throw early and often
- Pass to setup run
- Use flats and short passing game as "runs"
- Take enough shots vertically

At this point, the season has become about something else. Kaaya is almost for sure coming back. Our entire OL this year, which was our OL last year, will be our OL next year. Our WRs and TEs are very likely all coming back, sans Coley. Build an aerial attack that protects your OL with the flats, short passes over the middle and on early downs. We returned 10 guys on offense and, so far, look slightly worse and certainly more disjointed.

In short, yeah, experiment with the RBs, but we need to think longer term and bigger. How do we optimize Kaaya now and for next year?

The question is.. Will Richt adjust to this when he is known as a Run to setup the Pass coach?

The part about this ol being next years ol depressed me. Don't see much hope in the future. And that sucks

Advertisement

Most of the talent on this team is on the Defensive side of the ball, particularly on the DL & in the LB corp...

The Secondary is fairly average, with the exception of Elder & Quan... But, Jenkins, Carter, Red, Colbert & the rest just aren't that good.
(Although, Young shows promise to be a solid Corner in the future once he gets more experience)

On Offense, Coley is good & Richards will be great, Joku & Herndon are good, Yearby & Walton are solid, not great but not terrible either.

The OL is simply horrendous, one of/if not the worst in D1 football & Kaaya on his best day is average, he's not great by any standard.

We should still be able to win more games with that though, because teams with far less talent still figure out how to get it done on a weekly basis, but the bottom line is, it's going to take at least another 2 recruiting classes before we really can compete in the ACC.

I'm struggling to understand WTF happened to this OL. Same exact OL as last year and last year they were not even half as bad as they have looked this year. Is the scheme exposing their flaws? Have they regresssed due to inferior coaching from Searels?

What would you suggest?

Anticipating that our opponents are going to take what we're not doing well, guess that we're going to try something to fix that, and be a step ahead of that.

If we're on a message board all of last week talking about how Kaaya was better running 4Vert under Coley, I think it was fair to assume Bud Foster and his staff were doing the same. They played defense as if they knew we were going to run that stuff every time we got into an obvious pass situation. Worse, we did. And, worse yet, our guys are just not good enough to play against that disadvantage. Kaaya's limitations are such that we need to build an offense that keeps defenses on their heels. When we threw on 1st down, as an example, we were seemingly better off (though I don't have the stats right now).

Richt is in a tough spot with the limitations. It's not all on him, but these guys ain't helping each other.

We're thinking this might fix our problems, so they're thinking that too, so now we change our thinking to counter that. It doesn't need to be that complex. How about this novel idea? Make some in game adjustments based on what you're seeing. Crazy stuff huh! Yeah, you're allowed to do that. If you've decided pregame to try some all verts to stretch the d, but in the game it's not working on third down because they are blitzing 6 guys.....maybe you should run something different.

Currently, "a little bit of everything put together to create a perfect storm." By "parts" I mean everything: coaching, players, and their combination. Let me just say that I didn't expect us to go 12-0, 11-1, or even 10-2. Check predictions. I merely expected us to take advantage of opportunities better. On a podcast nearly a month ago, I mentioned that I expected us to have a very rough time at VTech. Ok, so no surprises there. But, there have been some surprises over the last 3 weeks - namely, FSU. We can later get into the specific Xs and Os. This post is about something broader.

Throughout these 3 losses, as it relates to offense, it hasn't been wholly on any individual aspect. Anyone labeling arguments (mine or otherwise) as such are seemingly deflecting from a deeper conversation. Each of the following elements own a portion of the problem: Richt, Kaaya, OL, skill players' execution.
Throughout each loss, the percentages of accountability and missed opportunities vary. And, unlike other systems where there is seemingly more flexibility and cushion, since each of the elements are critical to make this offensive approach (no pun intended) work - even in the narrow sense, like a single play or series - it has been unlikely we'd see anything consistently effective.

A system where, so far:

- Right playcall
- Right read
- Good throw
- Perfect OL protection
- Perfect Skill position execution

are all necessary in order to achieve a positive play...

...leaves almost no margin for error. With so little margin of error play to play, is there a reasonable expectation we can create consistency drive to drive? How about over the course of the game?

We are playing approximately one or two steps behind our opponents.

Against FSU: we played mostly within the box. We ran mostly inside the hashes. We passed mostly outside the hashes. We mostly used our TEs as decoys.
Against UNC: we adjusted. We saw some throws inside the hashes. We focused on Njoku a bit more.
Against VT: we further adjusted. We saw a bunch more of 4Vert and vertical attack. This is what was needed mostly against what FSU showed; not necessarily against 6 man blitzes.

We're continuously adjusting. I appreciate that. It's a clear indicator we feel we've previously made mistakes. We just can't get the timing right against what the opposing defense is throwing at us. Even when we do, then the other elements fail somehow:

3. The correct playcall, OL gives a very solid pocket, QB makes throw, WR drops.
4. Correct playcall, OL gives solid pocket, QB doesn't step in or slide and helps defense get sack or hurry.

These are just some examples and round and round we go.

Let's make this simple: issues from all of the elements above come together to have 7 three (3) and out drives out of 14 total opportunities against VT. Against UNC, 6 of 12 drives ended in 3 and out or less. 50% of the time, we run three (3) plays and ask our defense to come back on the field to do its job.

With that style, almost no one can win games consistently against equal or superior talent. If you cannot win games consistently against equal or superior talent, you are unlikely to make a playoff run. Even less likely to win it.

Our opponents this season against us:

VT 9% of drives three (3) and out
UNC 17% of drives three (3) and out
FSU 8% of drives three (3) and out

Last season (2015) our 3 and out percentage for our offense:

VT 17% of drives ended in three (3) and out for our offense (we won by 10)
UNC 34% of our drives ended in three (3) and out for our offense (in a blowout loss!)

FSU 18% of our drives ended in three (3) and out for our offense (we lost by 5)

Statistically, in 2016, we immediately relinquish opportunities to score almost 5x as much as our opponents. In 2016, we go 3 and out in our losses approximately 2x more than we did last year against the same opponents. That's a big deal when teams only get around 12 drives a game. Teams do not typically have to operate on such a razor thin margin of error. We have problems on the OL, in what Kaaya can and cannot do, and in players executing. No doubt. With these players, we need an approach that offers more of a cushion.

I was discussing something close to this last night with a friend in the context of how inefficient our offense is. Everything looks so difficult for us. We have a very difficult time getting into any sort of rhythm, and the smallest setback seems to completely derail any chance we have of having an effective drive.

What's surprising about that this year is that we actually do have the skill position players who can make big plays, which obviously takes pressure off of the offense to maintain long, sustained drives without making a mistake that halts the drive. I acknowledge that our OL sometimes limits what we can do, but it's still surprising to me that we aren't attempting, and not frequently converting, bigger plays. And, when I say big plays, it's not just deep shots all the way down the field, but the intermediate type routes that would get the ball to guys like Coley, Richards or Njoku in the 15-20 yard area down the field. So much of our passing game seems to happen in the 0-10 yard range, outside the hashes, without the possibility of much YAC. It's really tough to move down the field on 5-7 yard out routes without any setbacks. It's confusing to me why we aren't making more of an effort to get the ball to Coley, Njoku and Richards 20 times a game. Those 3 guys give us the best opportunity to eat up chunks of yards on individual plays.

Also, it seems pretty clear at this point that Walton is not the guy that is most effective in this offense. Again, because we tend to need so much to go right, the difference between 2nd and 8 and 2nd and 6 is important to us, and Walton is just not as effective running from the shotgun as Yearby is.

One question for you Lu - is there another college offense you can think of that operates primarily out of the shotgun, without a running QB, that isn't the air raid styple offense, with crazy OL splits (like Texas Tech or Baylor)? I know the Patriots do it some in the NFL, but in college, it just seems difficult to generate a consistent running game without the threat of the QB run or without spreading defenses out across the field to generate more space to run. Both under Coley and Richt, we've operated so much out of the shotgun, and when we face equal or better talent, our run game is shut down, making us one dimensional and making Kaaya an easy target.

Excellent posts here. It is truly maddening just how razor thin our margin for error is. We're all over the place during a game. One minute we look unstoppable. Then, we take a penalty or sack, and we just can't recover.

I think some are delusional as to the state of this team and what it can realistically achieve. This is not a 10-2 team by any stretch. There are way too many holes in the OL and secondary and far too little depth elsewhere; 10-2 would be our absolute upside if everything went well every single week. That just doesn't happen in CFB. The 2001 team almost lost two games against a weaker schedule and a horrid conference.

This team is not good enough to overcome the games in which it struggles. I expected we'd go 8-4/9-3 this year. What I didn't expect was to lose 3 games in a row, especially the way we lost FSU and UNC. I thought we would split those two games. VT on a short week I can stomach. Yes, they have a new coach too, but he isn't taking over after 15 years of incompetence.

We are now in a position where we need to go 4-1 or 5-0 to close out this season with an 8-4/9-3 record, which I don't see happening. That's where I am disappointed, we put ourselves in a crappy, crappy position to salvage the season.

Advertisement

Lu - always appreciate your posts and insight. I agree that there's a ton of little things adding up.

But I've noticed in the last couple weeks you haven't addressed the RB's in the problems with our offense.

Walton continues to be ineffective, Yearby continues to outplay him, and Gus continues to not be used at all. But Walton continues to get the majority of the carries.

It seems like a very simple & obvious switch, to give Walton's carries to Yearby & Gus, but what's your feelings on that? It would seem like it would have a big help on the passing game if we played RB's who improved our running game.

Probably because I think there are bigger issues. But, yes, it's an issue. If we're going to keep grabbing plays from the current bag, I think it's easy to see we need Yearby's ability to make a guy miss. Whoever said that his "big gainer" was when the game was already over is lost. If we're going to use Walton, it should be in what I'd prefer to see overall:

- Throw early and often
- Pass to setup run

At this point, the season has become about something else. Kaaya is almost for sure coming back. Our entire OL this year, which was our OL last year, will be our OL next year. Our WRs and TEs are very likely all coming back, sans Coley. Build an aerial attack that protects your OL with the flats, short passes over the middle and on early downs. We returned 10 guys on offense and, so far, look slightly worse and certainly more disjointed.

In short, yeah, experiment with the RBs, but we need to think longer term and bigger. How do we optimize Kaaya now and for next year?
Optimize Kaaya by leaving his *** on the bench

But I've noticed in the last couple weeks you've addressed most everything but the RB's.

Walton with another awful game yesterday. I've never seen a RB here with worse vision. I can't believe Rick keeps giving him starter's reps.

I still think his best role would be as a receiver. He's got great hands.

- Throw early and often
- Pass to setup run

Thanks for the insight Lu.

For me it's less of question of how to use the RB's, than it is which one to use. We have to get our most talented players on the field, and that means getting Walton off of it.

Yearby's ypc is double Walton's ypc over the last 4 games. Walton just isn't good as a runner, and you can see it in the open field. For me there's no point in throwing Walton the ball if he doesn't have the ability to run with it after the catch. What you gain Walton as a receiver with Walton is far outweighed by what you lose with him as a runner, and his main purpose is to run the ball.

I just think if we gave Walton's carries to Yearby & Gus:

- We'd get into less 2nd & 3rd longs
- We'd hit more big plays
- We'd pick up more 1st downs on short yardage runs and keep more drives alive
- RPO/Play action would be more effective

It just feels like it's and easy & obvious switch that will help loosen things up for our passing game. Seems like there's no point is passing to set up the run, if those runs are just going to go to Mark Walton.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I'm struggling to understand WTF happened to this OL. Same exact OL as last year and last year they were not even half as bad as they have looked this year. Is the scheme exposing their flaws? Have they regresssed due to inferior coaching from Searels?

??? they were straight trash last year and more of the same this year.

What would you suggest?

We're thinking this might fix our problems, so they're thinking that too, so now we change our thinking to counter that. It doesn't need to be that complex. How about this novel idea? Make some in game adjustments based on what you're seeing. Crazy stuff huh! Yeah, you're allowed to do that. If you've decided pregame to try some all verts to stretch the d, but in the game it's not working on third down because they are blitzing 6 guys.....maybe you should run something different.

Yeah. Running 4 verticals on 3rd and 3 after taking a bunch of sacks already reeked of blithering incompetence.

It truly looks to me like Rick is a little overwhelmed. Our offense looks like he's just reaching into a bag and picking the next play/formation without any concept as to what the defense is doing.

I think teams know what to do against Kaaya and our Oline at this point.

We allowed 19 sacks all of last year or 1.46/game. That was good enough for 34th in the country. Pretty **** solid if you ask me. After last night we are sitting at 74th in the country in terms of sacks allowed.

Advertisement
Back