"In many ways this is Al's first year"

"Two hours before Saturday night's game, her last home football game as president of the University of Miami, Donna Shalala was in a buoyant mood. As she attended a tailgate party with her staff across from Gate G at Sun Life Stadium, it was clear to me that the outcome of the game against Pittsburgh would not change her opinion about coach Al Golden, his staff and the future of the program. She foresees the Hurricanes playing for the national championship. She noted that in many ways this is Golden's first season with the Hurricanes, not his fourth. She said people need to be patient." Canesport

It's obvious Donna doesn't know what a National Championship team looks like.

Advertisement
She said people need to be patient." Canesport

Well, they're not going to be. They're going to stop buying season tickets, stop donating, buying merchandise, etc etc.

I think that preaching patience crap is the answer that the admin settled on this season knowing we weren't going 11-1 or something, but not expecting that we'd be this terrible. Its the same garbage Blake James has been repeating over and over.

Advertisement
If you know you cant afford to fire Golden you talk up him and talk the future. Thats the talking point I am seeing both Blake and Donna make.

If you know you cant afford to fire Golden you talk up him and talk the future. Thats the talking point I am seeing both Blake and Donna make.

They can afford to fire him and pay a quality coach. Are they willing to go all in? A quality coach won't allow for one foot in one foot out.

From Rivals

Two hours before Saturday night's game, her last home football game as president of the University of Miami, Donna Shalala was in a buoyant mood.

As she attended a tailgate party with her staff across from Gate G at Sun Life Stadium, it was clear to me that the outcome of the game against Pittsburgh would not change her opinion about coach Al Golden, his staff and the future of the program. She foresees the Hurricanes playing for the national championship.

In an exclusive interview with CaneSport, she noted that in many ways this is Golden's first season with the Hurricanes, not his fourth. She said people need to be patient.

"I think we have a very successful future ahead of us," Shalala said. "There is no question. We have a very good coaching staff. I think we have to be patient.

"No one except maybe Al Golden, (director of athletics) Blake James and myself know how difficult it was while we were under the cloud of the NCAA. ... I talked to those parents too and helped Al recruit during that time. It was just very difficult. We could not answer questions like how long this was going to take, what is this going to mean for the program.

"And so in many ways this is Al's first year, and we've invested in him and his staff. We've invested in facilities. The future is very bright."

Shalala, who became UM's president on June 1, 2001, announced several weeks ago this would be her last year at the school. She was chancellor of the University of Wisconsin from 1987-1993, and in 1993 President Bill Clinton appointed her U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services.

That first year she was at UM the Hurricanes won their fifth national championship. It has been a roller coaster ride since then, with coaches Larry Coker and Randy Shannon being dismissed and NCAA sanctions being levied due to the Nevin Shapiro scandal.

Shalala invariably has stayed close to the fans. She sits with them at all home games.

"I usually sit in the stands with students in the first quarter, then find some fans higher up," she said. "Then I come back to the (sky) box for the second half."

I asked her if she ever ventures to the upper deck to talk with fans, and she said she does.

"It's interesting," Shalala said. "They're much more supportive than my emails. The fact is they're at the game. My texts and emails, I check each one to see if they really are going. Ninety-nine percent are not. It's interesting.

"But if I go up and talk to the fans, number one they're more patient, and number two, they just like coming to Hurricane football games."

She added, "And I don't mind people who have strong feelings one way or another. I know what we've just been through and my job is to make sure we have the right people in the right places."

The place she wanted to be in the hours before Saturday night's game was tailgating with fans.

"Well, it's my first tailgate because I've been roaming everybody else's tailgate," she said. "So I said to my staff, `We're going to have a tailgate.' At Wisconsin I tailgated at every game. And I'm excited about the game as well."

Asked if she had nostalgic feelings about her last home game she replied, "As president, but not my last game. A little nostalgia. I love college football. I love the fall and it's a lot of fun to be at a school with a lot of tradition like Miami."

Her favorite football moment?

"Oh, I think all those Florida State games where it was wide right or wide left was more fun than anything else," she said. "But the national championship was a lot of fun. The Rose Bowl was spectacular because I had been to the Rose Bowl a few years earlier with my Wisconsin team, which won. So playing Nebraska in the Rose Bowl was a special treat.

"And we'll get back there. We'll get back to the national championship."

Was there a special single moment that stands out?

"No. Like all the other fans just watching some of our great running backs just run the ball is good enough for me," she said.

A low point she'd like to talk about? "No, there's nothing I'd like to talk about."

She would love to see the Hurricanes playing in a different, smaller venue than Sun Life Stadium, which is several miles farther away from the campus in Coral Gables than the old home, the Orange Bowl.

"I miss the Orange Bowl," Shalala said, "but it was coming apart at the seams and we couldn't get anyone to fix it. I still think we need a smaller stadium, but you know we'll keep looking. I'd like to see something near campus but we don't have any space near campus."

What about Tropical Park, two miles west of campus off the Palmetto Expressway?

"Well, you know, I thought it was (a good site)," Shalala said. "In fact, a couple of major leaders in our community approached me years ago about going to Tropical Park and I said `yes' but (FIU president) Mitch Maidique said `No.' It would have required FIU and the Canes to get together. I was very enthusiastic but they were not. They wanted to be on campus. I thought a combination of the two of us would make it possible but we just couldn't pull it off. But we were very enthusiastic about that."

Advertisement
Even she doesn't believe this ridiculous statement. It's insulting to the fan's intelligence. The writing is on the wall, she doesn't want to deal with this problem.

Last edited:
Her tenure at Miami should be remembered as the death of Miami football. She's destroyed this thing. Lit it on fire, watched it burn to ashes, and then whipped out her fat troll **** and ****ed on any remnants of Hurricanes football.

When it comes to athletics she is completely clueless and doesn't believe half the answers she gave. I call bull**** on a lot of those answers.

Advertisement
I TOLD YOU THIS!!! THIS IS WHAT SHE TOLD ME WHEN I ASKED HER A MONTH AGO AS TO WHY THIS CLOWN IS STILL HERE!!!!! NOONE LISTENS TO ME

She supported shannon too. She's done in May. This decision won't be up to her it's up to the BOt

Advertisement
What an insult to the people who pay hard earned money for this "product".

A slap in the face to every graduate and former player.

The University of Miami is a racist institution that embraces failure.

"has a bright future..." when if by some ridiculous reason our admin does not fire him this year, he will be fired next year.

Advertisement
Back