Improving Red Zone offense, use Berrios on these routes...

I need Richt to lock himself in a closet for several days w no sleep and watch film on how NE uses its slot guys in short yardage red zone situations. Time for this team to stop being so predictable.

Advertisement
A whip route basically saved our season and our souls during the last drive of the FSU game.

We've run pick routes in the end zone before. Last year Njoku scored a couple TDs on pick plays.

I agree about the slot, although Malik has to pull the trigger. There are plenty of times where Berrios or Herndon are working the middle of the field, and Rosier takes a shot on the outside instead. His completion percentage is under 60% right now because he doesn't always take the easy throws.

I sitll feel as though Berrios is grossly under utilized in the slot. And every deep pass thrown his way is basically a wasted play(that's just not his strength)..

It is strange that Berrios can go an entire game with only 1 catch. Especially one where we're throwing the ball a bunch.

I’m with you on this one. It’d also be nice to see Malik roll out with the option to throw it or tuck it and run for the TD.

When I was up in arms in August that we didn’t have a red zone package installed, the response I got was that pounding it in was archaic, and that we had the weapons to get creative and score. I think someone linked Mariotta highlights.

Thing is, Richt runs a pretty vanilla offense and is way too RPO, zone-read reliant. I think we also overestimated Rosier’s ability to run before the season - he is a huge upgrade from Kaaya, but he isn’t elusive at all and not very fast. Designed runs work with him when we can fool the defense, but he isn’t gonna shake someone like a Vick or Watson would.

Nothing has changed my opinion that in order to be a legit contender, you need to be able to line it up and smash mouth for short yardage when need be. We don’t have the horses for that this year, but we aren’t doing anything, playcalling-wise, to mask our deficiency. I still say it’ll cost us at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you.

And in the Red Zone, especially close to the goal line - Richt is very, very predictable. Makes me furious.

Advertisement
Whip routes are a MF'er. I don't even say anything to my kids when they get beat on them. LOL

Advertisement
Back