Improving Red Zone offense, use Berrios on these routes...

DiegoCane

All-ACC
Brees.jpg

I've only seen the whip route 1 time (obviously could be more) but it is deadly when space gets tight.

Cadet-beats-Campbell-on-whip-route-Saints-2016.gif

Could run it with Homer as well coming out of the backfield.

14dc2c5a01203c1ebdefbb3f017d9044

Simple pick route with Richards and Berrios.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm a huge fan of utilizing the slot WR as much as possible. Its such a difficult matchup for defenses in today's game. While we have utilized it better this year, I think we can go to it more. It would help our 3rd down efficiency as well. Here's a former walkon abusing Bama's 5* defense

Renfrow-1-play.gif

Renfrow-12.gif

Renfrow-6.gif

Renfrow-11-play.gif

Renfrow-5.gif

Renfrow-10.gif

Renfrow-7-1.gif

ClemsonTDDriveConcept_lmaepq.gif

Love these last 2 route combinations. WR run a go/fade, TE runs a seam route and clears the middle of the field for the slot WR to work 1 on 1.

Last edited:
I’m with you on this one. It’d also be nice to see Malik roll out with the option to throw it or tuck it and run for the TD.

When I was up in arms in August that we didn’t have a red zone package installed, the response I got was that pounding it in was archaic, and that we had the weapons to get creative and score. I think someone linked Mariotta highlights.

Thing is, Richt runs a pretty vanilla offense and is way too RPO, zone-read reliant. I think we also overestimated Rosier’s ability to run before the season - he is a huge upgrade from Kaaya, but he isn’t elusive at all and not very fast. Designed runs work with him when we can fool the defense, but he isn’t gonna shake someone like a Vick or Watson would.

Nothing has changed my opinion that in order to be a legit contender, you need to be able to line it up and smash mouth for short yardage when need be. We don’t have the horses for that this year, but we aren’t doing anything, playcalling-wise, to mask our deficiency. I still say it’ll cost us at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Malik could pull the ball more and run it in... Also 5 wide and some rub routes.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We are not back until we can impose our will against other teams, especially on offense in the Redzone. I really like placing Herndon in the slot and slanting him over the middle. At 6'4, 250 he is a nightmare for Safeties and LB's in the Redzone.

Malik needs to get better at deciding when to keep the ball or hand it off. If he would make the right decision more often, we would have won going away. There has been numerous times, especially in the GT and Cuse games where he had tons of open field in front of him and he handed it off to Homer for a minimal gain.

How about not throwing fades to 5'8 WR in the endzone when we have Langham and Herndon

Advertisement
In the red zone I would like to see langham Richards and Herndon on the field together

It'd be ideal if, in the red zone, we could just line up and run it in. We don't seem to be able to do that, though. Not punching it in on our first drive Saturday was inexcusable. Wish we didn't have a need to get cute and "creative" in the red zone. I want teams to know we are going to run it in from a 1st and 3 and there's nothing they can do about it. Just aren't at that level of physicality yet, I guess.

Advertisement
View attachment 52487

I've only seen the whip route 1 time (obviously could be more) but it is deadly when space gets tight.

Cadet-beats-Campbell-on-whip-route-Saints-2016.gif

Could run it with Homer as well coming out of the backfield.

14dc2c5a01203c1ebdefbb3f017d9044

Simple pick route with Richards and Berrios.

would love to implement some pick routes however with the U being on our helmets I'm sure the refs will see it otherwise

I think assuming everyone is healthy on the Oline that we may see more of Gaynor in the backfield again.
Just once I want to see a quick hand off to him as the upback.
It seems like when Richt was with Bobby at F$U they always seemed to score on that sorta play.

Advertisement
We've run pick routes in the end zone before. Last year Njoku scored a couple TDs on pick plays.

I agree about the slot, although Malik has to pull the trigger. There are plenty of times where Berrios or Herndon are working the middle of the field, and Rosier takes a shot on the outside instead. His completion percentage is under 60% right now because he doesn't always take the easy throws.

berrios caught a whip route against FSU on final drive on a crucial third down play. this needs to be implemented more often.

We've run pick routes in the end zone before. Last year Njoku scored a couple TDs on pick plays.

I agree about the slot, although Malik has to pull the trigger. There are plenty of times where Berrios or Herndon are working the middle of the field, and Rosier takes a shot on the outside instead. His completion percentage is under 60% right now because he doesn't always take the easy throws.

Completely agree, good points. Another byproduct is low # of turnovers. He’s still gaining comfort with his own ability to read and anticipate without making a really stupid throw/bad turnover. I’ll take the ball security at this point given that we are dealing with an inexperienced QB who was completely ignored by the previous staph and was not exactly a film room junkie prior to the last 12-18 months.

Advertisement
Back