Improvement from the secondary

Advertisement
Steele has basically done all types of coverages, but if he plans to execute zone coverages, it's on Addae to help these kids who apparently were never taught how to properly pass guys along or exchange between zone responsibilities. At least in some zones, what we previously saw was wild miscommunication.

Addae from what was said about his secondaries was good at having them play aggressively within their zone responsibilities. I’m hoping that we don’t see the drop into space and cover grass and are pattern matching.

The greatest skill a DB coach can instill in his players is a ferocious pass rush from the front 7.

If we can get after the QB a lot better than we did last year, we will be better on the back end.

It remains to be seen if that's going to happen. Lot of unknowns on the edge for this team.

Advertisement
Stevenson should thrive in this Defense & supplant himself as an All-ACC player.

I’m looking forward to seeing what happens with Isaiah Dunson & the TF’s like Jaden Harris & Chris Graves.

Also curious to see if they plan on playing Darryl Porter Jr at Nickel or at Boundary, because if they play him outside that will give quite a bit of dexterity to the coverage rotations. Same with Al Jr being able to play Nickel, Boundary & Safety.

More importantly than anything, I just wanna see if we’re in a new era of meritocracy & accountability.

The Secondary for the first time in a long time has legitimate playable 2-deep talent, there shouldn’t be any excuses for poor play, the CB & Safety room are both up to standard with interchangeable depth.

The whole defence has seen improvements in depth from last year. I always think that the biggest jump players see in college is from their freshman to sophomore seasons. The safeties will have adjusted to the speed of the game which will help immensely.

I think we will see much tighter coverage and better tackling as a whole. Diaz’s defence was figured out and made it easy to game plan against. I think we will see many more wrinkles and nuances with this staff.

Stevenson should thrive in this Defense & supplant himself as an All-ACC player.

I’m looking forward to seeing what happens with Isaiah Dunson & the TF’s like Jaden Harris & Chris Graves.

Also curious to see if they plan on playing Darryl Porter Jr at Nickel or at Boundary, because if they play him outside that will give quite a bit of dexterity to the coverage rotations. Same with Al Jr being able to play Nickel, Boundary & Safety.

More importantly than anything, I just wanna see if we’re in a new era of meritocracy & accountability.

The Secondary for the first time in a long time has legitimate playable 2-deep talent, there shouldn’t be any excuses for poor play, the CB & Safety room are both up to standard with interchangeable depth.
Can't wait!

Can't wait!
wayward pines GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
@Liberty City El just tired of reading that take after a few months is all. I'm for whatever works and Kam, James, Avantae will play a ton. Do not care how anyone's deployed. Versatility all over that secondary as you or maybe someone else stated earlier. A different DB should blitz on every play. Chase, Frierson and Keontra are OLBs who can cover if needed. Make it happen Steele.

Advertisement
I just watched all of our games from last year except CCSU and FSU (couldn't stomach the ending). The CB play was atrocious except for TS. Players playing 10 yards of the scrimmage (scheme), failure to jam or reroute receivers, misplacing the ball, lack of awareness, poor tackling etc. atrocious

I just watched all of our games from last year except CCSU and FSU (couldn't stomach the ending). The CB play was atrocious except for TS. Players playing 10 yards of the scrimmage (scheme), failure to jam or reroute receivers, misplacing the ball, lack of awareness, poor tackling etc. atrocious
Penn state is in for a rude awakening when they see Diaz defense. Ohio state might put 300 points up on them lol

The whole defence has seen improvements in depth from last year. I always think that the biggest jump players see in college is from their freshman to sophomore seasons. The safeties will have adjusted to the speed of the game which will help immensely.

I think we will see much tighter coverage and better tackling as a whole. Diaz’s defence was figured out and made it easy to game plan against. I think we will see many more wrinkles and nuances with this staff.
Fixing the tackling alone will make a huge difference. We were awful last year.

I believe that the scheme and coaching the secondary receives will create a huge jump in results.

Tyrique Stevenson has the ability to be an all-conference player this season. The young safeties all got extensive playing time last season. I think we will see packages with all 3 on the field.

Addae may be the biggest factor. Looking at the improvements that he led his last 3 teams to.

Minnesota went from 51st (212.4 ypg) to 9th (184.2 ypg)
West Virginia went from 107th (258.7 ypg) to 1st (159.6 ypg)
Georgia went from 88th (248.7 ypg) to 12th (189.7)

His secondaries played very disciplined and intelligent which has been missing.

We have talent and the combination of Steele’s defensive scheme and Addae should be huge this season.
Excellent post! Those numbers almost defy logic. That is quantitative proof of the type of impact that coach Addae has been having on the secondaries that he has coached. Before people start to say that Georgia just plugs in 5 stars (which they do) just look at what he was able to accomplish in Minnesota and West Virginia. Guys, we haven't had a secondary coach this good since Mark Stoops. Thanks for posting OP. I had no idea how good of a coach Addae was until I saw the numbers you posted.

Advertisement
Back