Improvement from the secondary

sstcane

Sophomore
Premium
I believe that the scheme and coaching the secondary receives will create a huge jump in results.

Tyrique Stevenson has the ability to be an all-conference player this season. The young safeties all got extensive playing time last season. I think we will see packages with all 3 on the field.

Addae may be the biggest factor. Looking at the improvements that he led his last 3 teams to.

Minnesota went from 51st (212.4 ypg) to 9th (184.2 ypg)
West Virginia went from 107th (258.7 ypg) to 1st (159.6 ypg)
Georgia went from 88th (248.7 ypg) to 12th (189.7)

His secondaries played very disciplined and intelligent which has been missing.

We have talent and the combination of Steele’s defensive scheme and Addae should be huge this season.

Advertisement
I believe that the scheme and coaching the secondary receives will create a huge jump in results.

Tyrique Stevenson has the ability to be an all-conference player this season. The young safeties all got extensive playing time last season. I think we will see packages with all 3 on the field.

Addae may be the biggest factor. Looking at the improvements that he led his last 3 teams to.

We have talent and the combination of Steele’s defensive scheme and Addae should be huge this season.
How long did it take for those increases to occur? Was it basically the same personnel?

Advertisement
West Virginia also lost their 2 starting cornerbacks before he got there and they were night and day better. The reports before the season were predicting them to be a mess and he transformed them into a different unit.

That’s why I don’t think 8-4, 9-3 are realistic. The coaching is going to be so much better this season.

Advertisement
Those were 1 season apart and with Georgia they lost their top 3 CB’s from the year before. Tyson Campbell, Eric Stokes and DJ Daniel. Also safety Richard LeCo

Couldn't agree more. I doubt we'll see DB's counting clouds during fake punts...

Go Canes!

Those were 1 season apart and with Georgia they lost their top 3 CB’s from the year before. Tyson Campbell, Eric Stokes and DJ Daniel. Also safety Richard LeCounte.
Multiple reasons why the secondary should be improved, perhaps even a strength. Addition of Addae to staff is one them. But be careful not to overstate the situation with Georgia's secondary or portray Addae as a miracle worker. Yeah, they lost players, but added three top players before the season via the transfer portal and already had in place a few 5-stars. Also, Kirby Smart - like Saban - is hands-on when it comes to the secondary.

Multiple reasons why the secondary should be improved, perhaps even a strength. Addition of Addae to staff is one them. But be careful not to overstate the situation with Georgia's secondary or portray Addae as a miracle worker. Yeah, they lost players, but added three top players before the season via the transfer portal and already had in place a few 5-stars. Also, Kirby Smart - like Saban - is hands-on when it comes to the secondary.

Still improved from 88th-12th losing 4 NFL draft picks. They have talent, but he showed it in Minnesota and WVU as well.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Great post

I remember UGA analyst and fans worried about their secondary coming into last year, it was looked as the only big weakness on the team cause of injuries and guys leaving. Besides the bama game where it was mainly just miscommunications they were sound all year. I expect our defense to be the strength of the team

Our DL having proper bodies to roll in and out will also have a big part of this. We have some good guys who can get pressure from the interior.

Those were 1 season apart and with Georgia they lost their top 3 CB’s from the year before. Tyson Campbell, Eric Stokes and DJ Daniel. Also safety Richard LeCounte.

Ron Simmons Reaction GIF

Steele has basically done all types of coverages, but if he plans to execute zone coverages, it's on Addae to help these kids who apparently were never taught how to properly pass guys along or exchange between zone responsibilities. At least in some zones, what we previously saw was wild miscommunication.

Advertisement
Back