Impressive College Baseball Stat

Advertisement
Advertisement
Tennessee Tech's Eric Newsom went yard against the Vols Ben Joyce. (The kid who threw 104 in a game this year) The pitch was 101 and he was using a wood bat. I believe the record for fastest pitch hit for a homer in the majors is 102.8 by Rafael Devers against Chapman, so Newsom's dinger is pretty amazing.

Advertisement
1931, when @txcanes was a sophomore at UM.
Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

We probably haven't had this sort of offensive depth/balance since '16 (?) if not prior to that.
I would agree, but I also will note we didn’t have the amount of pure hitters in the 16 lineup. We had a ton of feast or famine type guys like Hayward and Abreu. Far less balance in the 16 lineup IMO

I would agree, but I also will note we didn’t have the amount of pure hitters in the 16 lineup. We had a ton of feast or famine type guys like Hayward and Abreu. Far less balance in the 16 lineup IMO
No doubt, but a lot of people remember Collins and Abreu, when guys like Johnny Ruiz and Brandon Lopez both hit ~ .350 w +.900 OPS, while driving in a lot of runs as well.

Advertisement
No doubt, but a lot of people remember Collins and Abreu, when guys like Johnny Ruiz and Brandon Lopez both hit ~ .350 w +.900 OPS, while driving in a lot of runs as well.
Glad you mentioned those two guys because I remembered two other guys in that lineup being consistent outside of Collins. I just couldn’t remember them. Thank you for reminding me completely agree

Chester and Barr also had decent years. No crazy numbers, but we’re on base a lot, especially in the regionals and supers. They did what needed to be done. Barr handled the bat so well.

Chester and Barr also had decent years. No crazy numbers, but we’re on base a lot, especially in the regionals and supers. They did what needed to be done. Barr handled the bat so well.
Agree, but the CWS performances were disappointing. Without a great game from Heyward in 2015, we would have been 0 - 2 and BBQ both years. I suspect the Omahans were quite surprised.

Yet, we're still #2 all-time CWS appearances despite being a small private school, so, a couple of off years every now and then is to be expected. Let's hope Gino can go on a run the next few years.

Advertisement
We have 5 players with over 30 RBI.

When's the last time that happened thru 33 games?
The only posted records are from 2011 on, but none of those years (I took the liberty of skipping 17, 18, 20, and 21). Good chance the answer is 2008.

Saw some of this game last night:
UT's six homers brought its season total to 100 through 42 games. UT hit 98 homers last season in 68 games. The program record is 107, set in 1998 in 56 games.
No. 1 Tennessee (39-3, 18-1 SEC) scored 15 runs on 16 hits with six homers in the seventh and eighth innings to smash No. 21 Auburn (30-13, 11-8) 17-4.

Also in this game was Auburn's Sonny DiChiara. He's batting with .445 with 12 hours and a .600% OBP. Kid looks like he weighs almost 300 lbs so you know he's not legging out infield hits.

Saw some of this game last night:
UT's six homers brought its season total to 100 through 42 games. UT hit 98 homers last season in 68 games. The program record is 107, set in 1998 in 56 games.
No. 1 Tennessee (39-3, 18-1 SEC) scored 15 runs on 16 hits with six homers in the seventh and eighth innings to smash No. 21 Auburn (30-13, 11-8) 17-4.

Also in this game was Auburn's Sonny DiChiara. He's batting with .445 with 12 hours and a .600% OBP. Kid looks like he weighs almost 300 lbs so you know he's not legging out infield hits.
Those are crazy numbers - harkens back to the days of LSU gorilla ball w the fat barrel bats and probably several juiced up hitters.

Advertisement
Back