IMO The Offense Issues Beyond OL

This offense is about as exciting as the first round of the Chinese Slam Dunk Championships. The offense I've seen this season lacks several essential components that are needed to succeed against top teams.

1. Diversity! This offense is too simple to read, lack play diversity, simplistic formations, no motion and too many straight routes.

2, Pace! The pace is too slow, allowing the defense a chance to get set, call sets and adjust calls. Defensive players have time to figure out who and what they should be doing.

3. Play Calling! Too slow! Main reason the pace is too slow, besides design. When in doubt throw a half back screen. (Please stop trying to throw a back shoulder fade)

4. Receiver routes! These straight routes won't confuse or cross up a defense or defender. No crossing, rub or motion plays to confuse defenders. We need to hire a OC or offensive consultant that can add diversity to the offense and increase the pace.

Advertisement
Take a look at what Pitt does. They confuse the **** out of defenses with all their movement and deception. They've taken crappy overall offensive talent and fashioned a dynamic offense with it. Plug our dudes into that offense, and they'd look like world beaters.

I agree, this offense has some of the best weapons out there with Njoku, Herdnon, Coley, and Richards. But we hardly ever have crossing patterns to any of these players and require them to get their yards off streaks or screens. Yes our OL is not nearly where it needs to be, but it doesn't help when every 3rd and 7 we go all go routes. We need more slants and in routes, where Kaaya can get rid of the ball quickly to these targets. Our offense is still stale regardless if we are winning.

Take a look at what Pitt does. They confuse the **** out of defenses with all their movement and deception. They've taken crappy overall offensive talent and fashioned a dynamic offense with it. Plug our dudes into that offense, and they'd look like world beaters.

he's saving the playbook for Puke, just wait and see.

agree with the OP but it is getting better. i dont think we maximize the elite and special skills of our skill players.

Advertisement
let's do a whole bunch MORE stuff when kayaa still hasn't proven he can come off his first read in the most basic concepts

This offense is about as exciting as the first round of the Chinese Slam Dunk Championships. The offense I've seen this season lacks several essential components that are needed to succeed against top teams.

1. Diversity! This offense is too simple to read, lack play diversity, simplistic formations, no motion and too many straight routes.

2, Pace! The pace is too slow, allowing the defense a chance to get set, call sets and adjust calls. Defensive players have time to figure out who and what they should be doing.

3. Play Calling! Too slow! Main reason the pace is too slow, besides design. When in doubt throw a half back screen. (Please stop trying to throw a back shoulder fade)

4. Receiver routes! These straight routes won't confuse or cross up a defense or defender. No crossing, rub or motion plays to confuse defenders. We need to hire a OC or offensive consultant that can add diversity to the offense and increase the pace.

Get over it....we aren't hiring an OC....

Advertisement
I think Richt has a few base plays that he expects the offense to master and then throws in wrinkles based off those plays. The problem is the offense has been so inconsistent. Everything is to blame; play calling is shoddy at best, offensive line is meh, wide receivers struggle to create separation, running backs hitting the wrong hole, and inconsistent qb play. For every good throw Kaaya makes he also has ones that are way off target.

Agree with all except #4 .
Any routes that take more than 2.8 seconds, Kaaya is going down.

My question is what happen to all the crossing routes and **** richt used to love?

I agree.
The easiest routes to get open on in zone or man are crossing routes.
The problem is, they take a bit of time to develop and there's no time to be had.

Advertisement
Enough with this receivers don't create separation crap. We need a better unit than one featuring Richards, Coley and Njoku to field a formidable offense?

I could dig it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enough with this receivers don't create separation crap. We need a better unit than one featuring Richards, Coley and Njoku to field a formidable offense?

Need better lineman but yeah. Dont know if you can get much better than those 3 talent wise as passing options

Advertisement
This Offense doesn't have time to develop plays of the fashion which we all would like to see more of...

It's the combination of Kaaya being an incredibly slow read & the line not being able to give enough time.

It's mostly on Kaaya though, even when he gets all day to throw back there if his primary isn't open, that mutha****a is going down.

He'll take a sack with a 7sec clean pocket if he can't hit his first read, so Richt adjusted the Offense to make things a lot easier & quicker for Brad.

We're running mostly out of the gun, and we've shortened up the route combinations, because it's what makes Kaaya more comfortable.

We running that back shoulder all day with Richards because it's a very easy timing route & rhythm throw, plus it's an easy 7-9 yards to keep us on short yardage downs, because 3rd & anything longer than 5-6yds it's almost a guarantee Kaaya's gonna overthrow or get sacked.

The offense isn't pretty, but it's effective & we're moving the ball, so f*ck it I'll take it... The offense y'all are looking for isn't gonna happen with Kaaya at QB, we can't be that creative with him at the helm.

I don't think you understand what he's saying. It's not that we don't have the talent, it's the route tress and game planning to get guys open. Like more pick plays, wheels, crossing routes etc. it's a coaching issue. You could have all the talented receivers in the world but you're not gonna get as much separation and you have them all running just go routes and ins and outs especially when you're not using those routes to open up things underneath or to create confusion for the defense. Our route combos and way to easy to read for the defense which is why a great talent like Richards is rarely open but some scrub from Virginia or Pitt has no one within 10 yds of him. It's lazy game planning

Last edited:
A lot of the routes people are suggesting take time to develop. I don't think the coaches trust the line to protect that long. Although, I will say they certainly flipped the switch at halftime in Raleigh. All of the sudden, they were opening holes and not getting blown off the ball.

LOL...Kaaya's decision making is pedestrian like. You are going to be limited when your QB can't feel a rush, locks on a receiver, and is highly inaccurate. All this with a basic run offense. Just imagine if it were complex.

Advertisement
Back